Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Career Path

Harris6310

@Robin:

> Paying £20,000 to do something you enjoy is plain stupid. You go to University to get a piece of paper which is worth the amount of time and money you put in, not to do something you enjoy. You'll enjoy yourself plenty during your free time. Being in University is great.
>
> Don't be one of those idiots who assumes going to University is anything other than investing in your career, though. If you don't know what to do yet then don't go to University. Break away from the pack. I cancelled my University position pretty late on and it's one of the best things I've ever done.

Yeah, of course I would only go to further my career path. Just that I've been told that in University it is very difficult to do unless you have motivation. And picking a course that I'm going to enjoy over a course that I would hate would help that fact. I'm not going to pick something because I think it would be 'fun'. That's not what it's about.

@JeffSventora:

> What do you need? Well I challenge you to go to Gamasutra and look at the job listings. First off, you will need to be proficient with at least C++, C being the second most popular in modern game development. Second, you will need to be extra savvy with  very specific mathematical subjects including but not limited to; Linear Algebra, Calculus, Trigonometry and of course, Physics. You're going to need to understand what a vector, vertex, matrix, ray, plane, tauros and teapot are in order to be good with graphics.

I am currently doing an A-level in maths, and I am trying to learn as much as I can. Not just the stuff that will get me the qualification.

@JeffSventora:

> After that is all said and done, practice. Work on your own small time projects just to develop skills. Always strive to learn more and do your best to network. Attend local events. I went to a bar last year where EA Tiburon was hosting a get together, there I got to meet some pretty cool people. Next year I plan on attending GDC to get my name and portfolio out there.

Again, I'm also trying to get a lot of experience. Working with Eclipse, my own project, etc. I can't really start a portfolio yet as it would be very bare.

Thanks for all your advice guys, you're really helping out.

It's pretty much a case of, "You don't have to go straight to University".

Tutors and parents might push you, but you should try at least a year out on the job market first. From there you'll have a much better understanding of what employers want and can use that information to pursue a path in higher education if you still want to.

@Robin:

> It's pretty much a case of, "You don't have to go straight to University".
>
> Tutors and parents might push you, but you should try at least a year out on the job market first. From there you'll have a much better understanding of what employers want and can use that information to pursue a path in higher education if you still want to.

It might be quite be difficult for me to do that because of my location.

The whole "Not going to college" thing really applies only to programming, as that is something that you can easily and thoroughly teach yourself. Most other things require a degree, if not only so that you have something that makes you look like you know your shit.

@Kusy:

> You can't make games without playing them. Playing games becomes part of your job with this.

Sadly, its hard to balance them. Most of the time, you'll just be finding inspiration from this and that.
Especially if you're studying full-time, it becomes hard to find time to play games, at least for me!

@LeaRae:

> I think there's things to be gained from going to college immediately after high school - it might be different over there, but in the US there's a stigma if you don't go right away…

The US is plain stupid, though. Luckily this kid is from England so he doesn't have that kind of stuff.

@Robin:

> The US is plain stupid, though. Luckily this kid is from England so he doesn't have that kind of stuff.

Is most of the world like England in that respect? It's not hard to move from the US to Canada if it will give you a leg up in the job market.

@Frostyy:

> Is most of the world like England in that respect? It's not hard to move from the US to Canada if it will give you a leg up in the job market.

I've yet to see a single unpaid position being advertised around here. You even get paid for your training periods here.

I'd say most of the world acts a hell of a lot more mature than America. We don't make such a big deal out of drug use. Our people are generally more aware of world events.

Don't be naive, though. You'll always get idiots and idiotic systems no matter where you go.

@Robin:

> I'd say most of the world acts a hell of a lot more mature than America. We don't make such a big deal out of drug use so half of our country's youth are addicts. Our people are generally more aware of world events as long as they're older than 30 years, because all the present teens don't give a duck about anything.

Yes Robin. I agree.

Don't idealize mate, Britain is going to shit.

@Kusy:

> Yes Robin. I agree.
>
> Don't idealize mate, Britain is going to shit.

I always found your thoughts on drugs to contradict your thoughts on pretty much everything else. I would have thought someone like you would love getting high. xD

@Robin:

> I've yet to see a single unpaid position being advertised around here. You even get paid for your training periods here.
>
> I'd say most of the world acts a hell of a lot more mature than America. We don't make such a big deal out of drug use. Our people are generally more aware of world events.
>
> Don't be naive, though. You'll always get idiots and idiotic systems no matter where you go.

I meant the same as in
@Robin:

> The US is plain stupid, though. Luckily this kid is from England so he doesn't have that kind of stuff.

So I'm asking if most of the world cares about if you went to university 1 year after highschool or 5 years.

@Frostyy:

> I meant the same as inSo I'm asking if most of the world cares about if you went to university 1 year after highschool or 5 years.

It's not a cultural thing. Every employer is different. Some might care, but they're probably not very good at spotting talent.