Find results that contain...
Find results in...

This is it

Techno 5.0

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I see. Well, I wouldn't mind paying half of the expenses until June 2012 or so. Seeing I'm working temporarily at a company until then for school, I can only do that until June unless I can manage to find another job.

Need to make sure Paypal unlocks my bank account though..

I apologize for bluntness in advance: sugarcoating doesn't apply here whatsoever.

@Robin:

> Evan keeps the site running and Soul used to keep the newbs happy with posts.

Yeah, sorry about the inactivity. I could say it was real-life problems or some other shit excuse, but in reality it's just plain apathy. You can expect an increase in guides and support from now on. The drastic drop in support should not happen when one person leaves (whether it be you, me, or somebody else entirely). I would suggest that we get more moderators/administrators to act as role models. This time around, let's get some that answer questions and stay active.

> But as I said, the forum as it is now is impossible for me to maintain. It's ugly, outdated and generally dead. If I'm going to put the time in to developing a truly user-friendly engine then I need to get something out of it through a premium membership systems which covers lost wages from time spent on it.
>
> Whether the other staff members would let that go through or not is a completely different story.

More power to you. The death of Eclipse could be tomorrow or it could be in 10 years time, but the only way we'll find out is if we try to sustain it.

@Jungle:

> Rusher, people have already developed engines in different languages just nobody has been arsed to release it because it would be too hard to document and open to the public. I see your point though, and I think we should reopen the C++, Java, and C# programming boards like we had before. If we add those again then I'd love to post stuff in there.

That's what people say every time we think of reopening board X, but then they never hold to it and we have to close it again. I'd give the benefit of doubt this time, but I'm a lowly moderator, so it's not my call to make anyways.

@Jungle:

> Define group with a focus…
>
> The only way I'd see a group with a focus is if we made groups for C, C++, or Java programmers... but then that would be stupid because we could just make a plain old board and not groups in the first place. An interesting way to incorporate this in would be to abolish the post count/name color hierarchy and just replace it with group colors instead, but then that might lead to less people being motivated to post in order to lose their newb status.
>
> Anyone else have any ideas?

C, C++, Java programmers group is, with no due offense, absolutely worthless. This forum is about Eclipse.

Normally I would make a longer reply, but I think that my replies were succinct enough.

If you're thinking that we're going to die, then we have nothing to lose by trying new things.

@Marsh:

> A new forum system isnt going to fix any of the problems that are currently present. Also i know that most of you guys are still in school but we have full time jobs, college, social lives etc etc. Not making excuses just saying me and Robin both have a lot on our plates.

I never said it would fix anything. All i see is complaints about SMF. I was just asking why not change to something else.

@Robin:

> What don't you people understand about my usergroup? xD I'm done. I promised people I'd re-do the forum and site before I left and I did. I haven't done anything on Eclipse since March.

Why does it have to be you robin? Why not find someone else to do it? I understand your retired and all from helping the site. Hell I hardly come here any more due to college and work. I'm sure you can find willing members to help convert things or even make a new layout.

As much as it would make Robin cringe, why not just open up EO as something everyone can actually add to. I know that it will result in bugs galore, but IIRC from lurking years ago, everyone had stuff to add and there was a lot more content posted. I think Soul was working on something like this a while after Robin retired. Could've been someone else though.

Also, ignore any fail sentence structure, I just woke up.

@crzy:

> Why does it have to be you robin? Why not find someone else to do it? I understand your retired and all from helping the site. Hell I hardly come here any more due to college and work. I'm sure you can find willing members to help convert things or even make a new layout.

Because no one else can do it. The few people who have the skill to do it don't have the time.

I still enjoy working on Eclipse and getting people in to game design. It's just time consuming.

@Skweek:

> As much as it would make Robin cringe, why not just open up EO as something everyone can actually add to. I know that it will result in bugs galore, but IIRC from lurking years ago, everyone had stuff to add and there was a lot more content posted. I think Soul was working on something like this a while after Robin retired. Could've been someone else though.
>
> Also, ignore any fail sentence structure, I just woke up.

That'll do absolutely nothing. No one on this website knows how to program. Those who do don't want to mess around in an old VB6 engine.

Besides, that's just ruining the effort I put in to the engine in the first place. Community projects never work.

@Scrooge:

> Because no one else can do it. The few people who have the skill to do it don't have the time.
>
> I still enjoy working on Eclipse and getting people in to game design. It's just time consuming.
>
> That'll do absolutely nothing. No one on this website knows how to program. Those who do don't want to mess around in an old VB6 engine.
>
> Besides, that's just ruining the effort I put in to the engine in the first place. Community projects never work.

"Our thriving community offers complete support for
this MMORPG Maker. If you have any questions or want to learn through other people's tutorials then simply register an account and come hang out with us. We've
got plenty of talented members who're willing to spend some of their valuable time
to help you with your project. All that we ask is that you present yourself politely
and have a thirst for learning. You've got nothing to lose, so come on over and
become a part of the largest MMORPG development community around!"

@Captain:

> inb4 RPG version of Eclipse.
>
> -pic-
> Also; if you look at this screenshot which was taken at nearly the end of last year, you can see that we've actually grown since then.

True. Several times around when I took that screenshot it had happened to me. Not just once.
@Sicarii:

> -snip-

<3

@Sicarii:

> "Our thriving community offers complete support for
> this MMORPG Maker. If you have any questions or want to learn through other people's tutorials then simply register an account and come hang out with us. We've
> got plenty of talented members who're willing to spend some of their valuable time
> to help you with your project. All that we ask is that you present yourself politely
> and have a thirst for learning. You've got nothing to lose, so come on over and
> become a part of the largest MMORPG development community around!"

Damn…

>The few people who have the skill to do it don't have the time.
>We've got plenty of talented members who're willing to spend some of their valuable time

everyone can take what they want but what i enjoy is "All that we ask is that you present yourself politely and have a thirst for learning." politely….lol....thirst for knowledge eh? Wtf ever....im truly not sayin much other than why do ppl bitch bout noobs in the forum when the website says come on in everybody we will take care of you.....

@Captain:

> Guys Robin only wrote that first page to make us look good. That's okay, because everyone know's that we're all lazy and have little talent.

Lies. Some of us are talented but aren't using their brains.
Anyways, are we the largest MMORPG maker community?

@Sicarii:

> everyone can take what they want but what i enjoy is "All that we ask is that you present yourself politely and have a thirst for learning." politely….lol....thirst for knowledge eh? Wtf ever....im truly not sayin much other than why do ppl female dog bout noobs in the forum when the website says come on in everybody we will take care of you.....

You're confusing several different terms here.

We get far too many people who come on here expecting everything to be done for them. People aren't told off for being new, they're told off for being spoilt little bastards.

These are the kinds of people who make an account, complain about how hard it is, ask for people to make stupidly complex systems for them, ask people to find all their resources for them and ask people to practically make their entire game for them.

Regardless of how we treat them they'd end up leaving in a week or so anyway. I'm not going to waste effort trying to explain to some spoilt American kid that he needs to actually make his own game.

It's just basic netiquette more than anything.

I have no problem with people using my stuff, but expecting me to do things for you personally is plain selfish.

It's like me leaving an old toilet on the pavement outside my house with a 'Free to good home' sign on it. You can take the toilet and install it in to your bathroom. You can do whatever you want with it. But when you end up breaking it you don't come back to me claiming I have a responsibility to fix it because I'm the one you got it from.

People seem to think that basic social rules don't apply on the internet and come out with the most outrageous shit. Hell, I wrote an analogy about this entire thread pretty early on. Same applies for that. If you wouldn't do this shit in real life then why would you think it's acceptable to do it on the internet?

@Scrooge:

> Community projects never work.

I know that this is old, but Robin, community projects never work?! Look at Android. The whole freaking think is a community project. Do I think a community project will be of ane use in EO? No. But I just thought that that comment was hilarious.

@Sigridundset:

> I know that this is old, but Robin, community projects never work?! Look at Android. The whole freaking think is a community project. Do I think a community project will be of ane use in EO? No. But I just thought that that comment was hilarious.

The community project(s) that you're referring to are entire different from those of which Eclipse would produce.

Android community projects are many sects of individual projects being brought together to form a large database of many standardized projects that all work on the same base.

An Eclipse project would be a cumulative effort of a community/group focusing on one engine, trying to add things to that one specific engine.