Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Kony 2012

Someone McMe

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

~~~~Why do we keep getting involved in oil wars when we can take out dictators like this? I hope the USA gets involved **constitutionally** and emerges with an Ugandan ally.~~~~

Read [this.](http://www.touchofdeathforums.com/smf/index.php/topic,78609.msg843260.html#msg843260)

This is all over my Facebook News Feed - I was invited to four different events for putting up posters and spraying the symbol on walls overnight and the poster and video has been posted by everyone.

There are some _very_ idiotic people on Facebook commenting 'Ehh, what is this? Is it a drinking thing??' and just being too stupid to Google it. There's also a set of people writing 'I don't care about this Kony thing stop posting it omg'

The more I use Facebook, the more I hate the people I know.

I just found out that there is a lot of misinformation in this video. Uganda is relatively safe now that Kony moved out of there. Also, apparently Kony has decreased the amount of sub-18 yr old kidnappings by 80% since the records this video used were taken. The Mexican Drug Cartels use similar tactics and are located right across the border, pressing into Texas. The "charity" is also apparently sketchy because it lacks money tracking.

Check the facts before you jump on the propaganda-lead train. Ill also probably get hate mail for saying this now that the whole internet backs this group, but meh.

@Jungle:

> Check the facts before you jump on the propaganda-lead train. Ill also probably get hate mail for saiyan this now that the whole internet backs this group, but meh.

Yeah, invisible children is not the best charity to donate to. Everyone should skim this article before donating money to invisible children. http://ilto.wordpress.com/2006/11/02/the-visible-problem-with-invisible-children/

@Jungle:

> The Mexican Drug Cartels use similar tactics and are located right across the border, pressing into Texas.

I'm not finding anything on this. Do you have an article about it I could read?

@Eckhart:

> I'm not finding anything on this. Do you have an article about it I could read?

http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/10/17/us-cartels-children-idUSTRE79G4UX20111017

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/12/28/youth-recruited-for-drug-cartels_n_1173117.html

http://www.washingtonpost.com/world/mexican-drug-cartels-targeting-and-killing-children/2011/04/07/AFwkFb9C_story.html

http://projects.latimes.com/mexico-drug-war/#/its-a-war

Good cause? Yup, probably.

Good organization? Eh, I believe they're primary focus is on education about this problem. Hence the hype about money issues.

Should we do something about this, aside from education? Ehh, heart says yes, mind says look into it more and watch your ass… haha

Then dont donate. The ultimate goal is to keep it in the public eye, so its important to the government, so they keep it an issue and continue to find the guy. They try to sneak in the "donate to us" thing, sure, but its small potatoes imo. Dont donate, problem solved. I'm sure the majority of peeps wont be donating, and those who do, well only 30% of their money will make it where they want it to go, but at least they are doing a little something.

Like I said the important cause is keeping light on the issue. And just because he is no longer in Uganga, and may not do the kidnappings so much anymore, doesnt mean its not an issue anymore. Guy still needs to be caught, and if this whole thing help achieve that goal, more power to it.  I think nitpicking and trying to cause dissent against a generally worthwhile cause is a bit petty

War in Uganda? impossibru!

Hahaha… "For years? If that happened in amurica..."
Not for years. Since Russia and Murrica started importing guns... and before then they used ducking spears and bows, and before then they used stones. Guess what? It was never any different there.

One tribe wipes out another, another tribe retreats, rebuild and wipe out the previous one, repeat. And guess what? It's not the only place this magical phenomenon happens. And then you realize... world history... it's made up of... wars.

Stopping one dictator does nothing, another rises. It's how Africa works.

@Kusy:

> War in Uganda? impossibru!
>
> Hahaha… "For years? If that happened in amurica..."
> Not for years. Since Russia and Murrica started importing guns... and before then they used ducking spears and bows, and before then they used stones. Guess what? It was never any different there.
>
> One tribe wipes out another, another tribe retreats, rebuild and wipe out the previous one, repeat. And guess what? It's not the only place this magical phenomenon happens. And then you realize... world history... it's made up of... wars.
>
> Stopping one dictator does nothing, another rises. It's how Africa works.

+10000000000000000

(realizing I will be flamed for this…)

So what you're saying is, we shouldn't do anything to try to solve this problem? Or just don't trust IC.

Also, regardless of the organization, don't you all think we should be doing something to try to bring this man to court? I mean, what's so bad about attempting to make a brighter future? Or the more objectively, why can't we try to find some way to accomplish the International Criminal Court's goals?

I dunno, on one side, I see all the nay-sayers, bashing away saying that this is pointless, or that the NGO shouldn't be trusted. Half the time it seems that people are accusing IC of failing to meet accomplishments they never were attempting to meet in the first place. And then bashing at the people who believe (if slightly naively) that they are helping to make a difference.

On the other side, I do see a lot of bandwagon jumping. Almost seems like mass hysteria actually. But is it really so bad for so many people trying to help bring justice to those who've been wronged for so long?