Find results in...

L2w3

Chief

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@LegendWeaver:

> I agree with Pete on the ribbon navbar, I feel it's too generic nowadays. Do something new? :0

Thing is, its a fad that died off. Nobody does it anymore, so if I do it, and keep it purely simple, then Its original enough to pass. Trust meh, I know what I'm doing.

@Wraith:

> That's a penis.

lolololo

@Chief:

> Thing is, its a fad that died off. Nobody does it anymore, so if I do it, and keep it purely simple, then Its original enough to pass. Trust meh, I know what I'm doing.

I think perhaps it's too soon.

@Pbcrazy:

> I think perhaps, that if it looks good, and is well executed, who cares? Else we may end up debating the timing of all in the universe.
>
> "No, it's too soon, we just emptied the toilet 2 hours ago!"

Lol, look at EA. AC and CoD once every year

@Chief:

> Thing is, its a fad that died off. Nobody does it anymore, so if I do it, and keep it purely simple, then Its original enough to pass. Trust meh, I know what I'm doing.

No you don't. The fad has not died off, it's simply devolved in the realms of the copycats at the bottom of the pile.

Couple that with your failed attempt at letterpressing and you've managed to jump on just about every single Web2.0 bandwagon 3 or 4 years after they've passed.

Add in the shitty colours and pure text logo and it looks really, really dire.

@Robin:

> No you don't. The fad has not died off, it's simply devolved in the realms of the copycats at the bottom of the pile.
>
> Couple that with your failed attempt at letterpressing and you've managed to jump on just about every single Web2.0 bandwagon 3 or 4 years after they've passed.
>
> Add in the shitty colours and pure text logo and it looks really, really dire.

No, I'm pretty sure its dead. Go choke on some lettuce, you foul beast.

That attempt of letterpressing was successful. You, sir, need to explain why said attempt has failed? Otherwise I don't see it. I am open to your opinion, but I would need to know how it failed.

The colours are fantastic, you should paint your room this. Also, its not so much a logo as just the title. I don't feel the need to have a logo for this, but once again, I am open to your opinion.. just not most anyone elses.

@Pete:

> Sorry for trying to help, then.

My thoughts on you:

You can design website, and know HTML and CSS well, and I commend you for it, and am happy that you put forth effort. However, I never really see anything innovative from you, so I feel your work is fairly bland and not quite as good as it could be. Its not that I dont respect your opinion, but I feel that Robin, although a jerk and maybe not as talented, at least knows and practices new and current standards in a more innovative way? I dunno, its hard to describe.

Letterpressing comes from a light source. Light sources come from subtle gradients.

You have the letterpress effect without the light source. It's the same as adding highlights to a character design without adhering to the light source in the rest of the piece.

There's nothing technically 'wrong' with your design, it's just bland. You've got some plain text logo, some pretty ugly colour scheme tucked banner… thing and you top it all off with a generic texture background and letter press effects.

It's pretty hard to critique a header by itself, but yours just pushes all the wrong buttons. A header is the main navigation of your page. It's the first impression of your brand or product.

All I'm saying is that I wouldn't want people looking for my stuff to be greeted by that.

This is the beginning of the redesign. havent worked out the background yet, but how does the navigation look now?

![](http://localhostr.com/file/DnZXC7a/preview2.png)
http://localhostr.com/file/DnZXC7a/preview2.png

Much better. Colour scheme has actual contrast. Ditch the stupid '90s pattern background, though.

Also stop making damn navigation bars and posting them online. Build an actual template. Any critique I make is isolated. In terms of website quality I need the actual website in front of me to tell you what's what.

I will point out now that I'm not a fan of the Web2.0-rounded-rectangle-faux3Dgradient-letterpress bullshit which has been made popular by phone app GUIs. I'll also point out that although this was popular from 2007 - 2010 it's getting _very_ stale now and the people who are jumping on the bandwagon are very late to the party.

Minimalistic colour is making a come back.

@Chief:

> I just like to do the navigation first, but I'm working on it, lol. Once I get enough of the site down, I'll post the URL so you can tear me a new hole.

/shrug. I just say how it is. You don't need to listen to a word I say. ;]

Generally speaking I do waffle on, but I do have an eye to spot issues even if I don't always have the solution to fixing them. A lot of the time I'll spot something which looks shit. A real designer would be able to tell you how to change it. I'll simply suggest something to do instead.