Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

How to say GUI?!

lexkymbeth

@Lenton:

> The Americans pronounce it gooey, however normal people pronounce it as G.U.I.

Thats just a stupid comment.  Everyone I'VE every known has said G-U-i, I've never heard an idiot call it a gooey.  The fact that its all caps makes it clear to anyone with a shred its an acronym.  No one calls the CIA seea or the FBI fbee.

@Lenton:

> The Americans pronounce it gooey, however normal people pronounce it as G.U.I.

I guess I'm not American then.

@DrNova:

> The fact that its all caps makes it clear to anyone with a shred its an acronym.

What about HUD?

@DrNova:

> Thats just a stupid comment.  Everyone I'VE every known has said G-U-i, I've never heard an idiot call it a gooey.  The fact that its all caps makes it clear to anyone with a shred its an acronym.  No one calls the CIA seea or the FBI fbee.

Everyone I have heard say it pronounces it gooey and I'm not American.

@Jungle:

> I know several IT people irl and they call it gooey. I even heard it mentioned on Discovery Channel in a documentary of Apple and it was pronounced gooey too.
>
> I still prefer to pronounce it G.U.I. though.

It depends on whether a given abbreviation consists purely out of pronounceable syllables or not. In case they do, you may pronounce them like an actual word. In case they don't, you ought to pronounce each letter individually. Therefore G.U.I. should be pronounced gee - you - aye rather than gooey (since the English language doesn't know the proper sound for the ui-digraph, as in languages where that digraph is known, the sound used in "gooey" is totally off).

Yours faithfully
  S.J.R. van Schaik.

@S.J.R.:

> It depends on whether a given abbreviation consists purely out of pronounceable syllables or not. In case they do, you may pronounce them like an actual word. In case they don't, you ought to pronounce each letter individually. Therefore G.U.I. should be pronounced gee - you - aye rather than gooey (since the English language doesn't know the proper sound for the ui-digraph, as in languages where that digraph is known, the sound used in "gooey" is totally off).
>
> Yours faithfully
>   S.J.R. van Schaik.

Now you must go on vocaroo and give us the correct way of saying it!

@Admiral:

> Now you must go on vocaroo and give us the correct way of saying it!

In the English language there is no correct way of saying that digraph, because the vowels have been shifted as opposed to other languages. On top of that, that digraph is useless in the English language as there are very few (potentially none) words that would actually do use the digraph.

Yours faithfully
  S.J.R. van Schaik.