Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

[Beta] Alure : The Awakening [Updated 4/22]

lordphrozen

![](http://i.imgur.com/SAo8i.png)

Alure: The Awakening (Formerly Fantasy LYF) is built with a heavily modified CS:DE engine.

For those of you who remember my name in the history of the mirage source story, howdy ;) . For those who don't know me I'm Tony "LordPhrozen" Abbate, 29, I work marketing for a computer company, and i like short walks directly to my computer chair. PM me if you'd like more information? i guess? lol

Anyways Alure is a medieval fantasy rpg roguelike tower crawl MMORPG, and has some wicked fun features.

**Procedural Equipment** - All Equipment is randomly generated. There are no set equipment items in the database, only rough prototypes.

**4-piece Armor** - Armor sprites are actually 4 separate sprites, Primary section, secondary section, optional neck piece, and optional cape. All pieces are colored randomly and separately. Each section also has drops for Dye's to manipulate the colors after it drops.
**Customization** - Players are fully customizable from hair, to voice, to ears, skin tone, accessories,  all with RGB sliders to customize your colors. We sport over 1000 possible hairstyles.( No, I'm not shitting you )
**Distance based audio reduction** - The farther away you are from the source, the quieter sounds are
**Working Fog** - Not that this was hard, it was 90% already coded
**Instance System** - Yeah, I went there. Instanced dungeon maps with loot in instances for each player(not party loot). only one player needs to enter the dungeon, all other party members are warped in.
**Threat and Aggro** - Each npc has its own threat table, and both payers get warnings when aggro is switched. If you're in a
**Minimap** - With party support. Honestly it's a little laggy with our 100x100 maps, and kind of a dog on the 140x140 town map. thank god it toggles?
**Dynamic Stats** - Stats do different things for different classes.
**NPC Champions** - Randomly colored, randomly sized, player-wrecking machines with better loot drop chances
**Temp Buffs** - Stacking to max stack, Conlifct-Able, buffs / debuffs for players.
**Resizeable Client** -  though noticeable graphics artifacts can be seen when doing so, sorry, that's the nature of a 2D game written in dx8.
**Class Archetypes** - Only 3 classes, but the ability to grab skills from each class, allows for true class customization, [Brute], [Acrobat], and the [Scholar].
**Equipment Comparison** - When mousing over items, it will show you details for both the item, and your current equipment for ease of use.
**Blood** - Buckets of glorious blood. And I mean buckets. Blood generated scale with the size of the target.
**Obscured Translucency** - You are stil semi-visible behind objects(this is coded, not mapped)
**Visual Weapons** - Weapons are now on your back when you're not fighting
**RGB Weapons&Swings** - Weapons are now RGB randomized, and melee swings have an animated swoosh(different per direction) and uses the color of your weapon
**RGB Icons** - Icons now reflect actual Weapon.
**No Grief** - Players can now walk through each other.
**Ground Effects** - NPC's (mainly bosses) can now create "fire on the ground" type entities.
**Traps/Ground Effects continual** - Continually take damage for standing in bad things ;)
**Missing by weap Level** - if your weapon is 5 levels below the npc's level you get a 10% miss chance, if its 10 or more below, its a 35% miss chance.
**Spell Personalization** - Weapon color now effects spell color, eventually this will be moved to your "spell color personalization" color.
**Improved AI** - NPCs will no longer get stuck behind obstacles, all npcs havea  frustration level, and if an NPC gets too frustrated, it will warp closer to its target. so plaeyrs can not infiantely kite mobs into a corner of obsticles and fight with no danger.
**Further Improved AI** - NPCs will no longer congregate at the map edges from following players. If players were not partied, they will just respawn themsevles
**Further Improved AI 2** - If an NPCs target leaves the map, or dies, it will search the party for other players on the map, and target them, if there are no other party members on the map, it will respawn itself.
**Advanced Item Stats** - Items can now be found with "advanced effects" on them. Example : "+3% SoulShielding"  Soulshielding is a pvp stat, and reduces damages given to you by other players. or "+4 MagicFind" To aid in the finding of higher quality items.
**Armor and Weapon Dyes** - Colorize your equipment as you see fit!
**NPC Call to Arms** - Npcs can now summon other npcs into combat
**Customizeable Skills** - Players can now choose what skills they learn, and can swap them out for other skills. each odd level, you get a choice between 4 skills, can only choose one.
**Threat Display** - While in a dungeon, you will get messages about your current targets Hate of it's current target, if that hits zero, its going after whoever last hit it, and pulled.
**Gems** - Randomly colored Gems that increase stats based on the color of the gem,(comingSoon!)

**FEAR** - Death is real. Dont screw around. Dieing gets your inventory wiped, and your level dropped to 1.

**Item-based Skills** - I can now tie a spell to an item for a single use casted item, for example our escape crystals that get you out of the tower.

**Multi-spell** - I can Tie up to 3 spells to a single spell. especially helpful if I want to have something like "Vampiric touch" where it deals damage to the target, and heals the caster.

Latest Screenshots

>! ![](http://i.imgur.com/JeJE8Hk.png)
>! Comparing my items
>!  
>! ![](http://i.imgur.com/nNvh0Nk.png)
>! Customizing my toon
>!  
>! ![](http://i.imgur.com/JnsJMJ9.png)
>! Just entered the tower.

Video

>! http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=Gn9QQzHBQ3U

Public alpha test soon as well. :]

Procedural items and the NPC champions are by far the coolest features in this. Care to elaborate more on the procedural items?

Blood is unrealistic. Nothing bleeds that much… It also looks like it's drawn on there without sprites, which is neat but it kind of looks weird that way. Out of place or something.

1) the procedural items are based off of a core item in the item database. that will define armor type, or weapon type, defence or attack scaling%(and weapon speed),  and, if i care to, the bonuses added to all items of this generated type. The engine then decides its name out of the current 71 prefixes and suffixes, picks random stats based on the items level required, then drops it to the map.

2) NPC champions are done like this, npc sprites are divided into 2 seperate sprites, the non-colored base, and the white-out'ed part that gets colored by the engine. When i create an npc i define what color that npc should be, and then the engine slightly modifies that color, per spawn, so all npcs arent EXACTLY the same color. Now when a champion gets selected, it becomes a scale between its current scale and 6.0, and then increases its hp, attack damage, drop rates, and exp given accordingly.

3) the blood looks fine, you have no idea the size of the creature i was fighting in that screenshot XD, blood sprites also have a slight size randomocity, 16 different sprites, and scales with the source of the blood. Killing your everyday mobs, only leaves a small, noticeable bloodstain.

![](http://www.cybermancygaming.com/forums/uploads/gallery/album_1/gallery_5_1_438625.png)

You may want to use different sprites for NPC champions or simply have them be recolored; the snake champion looks extremely pixelated in comparison to its environment.

And if that's a medium size champion, how big must the large champions be? 0_0

Other than that, though, looking good!

I actually like their pixelated goofyness. Besides,  having separate sprites for different scales,  would be a little overkill…  there are 50 different scales it can be. Just a color change doesn't work,  as size represents the difficulty increase.

I understand some may think it looks ugly,  its something I may revisit it again later. 

There's just too many core systems that still need attention.

Perhaps make the default sprites about halfway between the smallest and largest as they are on that image and scale them accordingly? Still not perfect but it will likely be less work than making several scale level images..

Anyway, this seems very interesting and I'd love to see how it plays out.

I am, which is why I suggested to go the middle way and instead of making several sizes make one that's in the middle, so if it scales down it won't look too awkward nor if it scales up. It's not a perfect solution but it'll likely look better than scaling a 32*32 sprite up to 96*96 :P