Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Merging the componets of the more advanced games to create a new eclipse.

Shaunfroggydog

I can’t help but notice there’s a whole lot of reinventing the wheel going on here. The games that are further along have features like full screen, projectiles, attack animations, and so on…Also I can’t help but notice that the people who start a brand new game, start with the bare eclipse and painstakingly struggle to add these same features on their own. Why not everybody take the time to merge the features they created into one game engine and post it as the latest version of eclipse? Basically a nice little trade off, they get what you made, but you get what they made.
To tell you the truth though, the main feature I would like to see added would be a newer download/setup. That’s honestly the main thing that keeps you from commercializing (or at least getting a huge following of players for) anything that you create with the software. Players don’t like to have to go through a lot of technical steps to play a simple game. They like to just download, install, start. Or even better just load/start in a browser based version. If you tell them _“Yea you have to download this, then download and add that, then go to settings in windows control panel and change this, this, and that, then it might work.”_ They will almost certainly move on to the next game. So what would it take to change that?…and does anyone really care enough to try?

> Why not everybody take the time to merge the features they created into one game engine and post it as the latest version of eclipse?

Listen !
EO is good as it is now,in my opinion if they upload it with all features included,those people who download the engine will learn nothing,but when they work a bit,they will gain experience.
Or be a lazy man all of your life and wait to get all things done without moving a muscle or without thinking.

There are custom versions,where many unique feature are added,most have the same features but they are not the same in "quality" .

EO is supplied as a base really, not a fully functional solution.

I also believe it used to be more if an open project once, but this resulted in some serious bugs that were never fixed but expanded upon causing core issues.

@Shaunfroggydog:

> To tell you the truth though, the main feature I would like to see added would be a newer download/setup. That’s honestly the main thing that keeps you from commercializing (or at least getting a huge following of players for) anything that you create with the software. Players don’t like to have to go through a lot of technical steps to play a simple game. They like to just download, install, start. Or even better just load/start in a browser based version. If you tell them _“Yea you have to download this, then download and add that, then go to settings in windows control panel and change this, this, and that, then it might work.”_ They will almost certainly move on to the next game. So what would it take to change that?…and does anyone really care enough to try?

I can send a single file over to my friends brand new computer, he can hit install and it'll run perfectly as it. It's YOUR responsibility to set up easy access to your players. Look for means of installation. Preset the documents to connect to the server, have the installer install the runtimes while the game.

To answer your questions.

1: EO is not feature enriched because the goal of EO was to give us a base to make whatever game we want. For example, Zesh is making a Pokemon game with it, others are making side scrolling games, some have made zombie shooters. If eclipse came with huge features specifically built for a medieval mmo then it would take more time removing those features for the majority of the population that doesn't want them.

1.5: If you look in the custom versions section of this forum you will find more feature enriched editions created by our community. Most of them simply include alot of tutorials merged together but maybe closer to what you are looking for.

2\. In terms of simple sharing and setup. You have your game folder and you have the runtime files. You can make your own installer for these freely with several solutions out there however to be honest, I would much rather have a zip file which i simply drag the game to my desktop, install the (included) runtimes, and play. Now, to put this into perspective, many people find the run time files a unnecessary step and feel that the game should work without them however lets say you go and install any top of the line game, for example, Skyrim on the PC. During the installation, it copies over all of its files, then all of a sudden it installs, Visual C w/e and DirectX components.  Finally, as for the "control panel" options that you referenced to, it really should not be needed unless your player has really ducked up their computer, however, there is a good number of people for every game that has to alter settings on their computer to be able to play certain games, this is not only an eclipse issue.