Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Eclipse Mega

Ertzel

Take it from someone who has used events extensively.

A. Using a lot of conditional branches is an absolute clusterfuck for decent quests.

B. To Eclipse, it makes more sense.

C. An actual dedicated system is much faster.

D. An actual log and way of tracking progress is provided.

I learned this lesson using RPG Maker for years and then trying it out on Eclipse, it's okay, but not practical.

• Replies 330
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

> Wait, I'm confused now. With the event system you can use branches with the switches from other steps/events to make check what step you are at. Using this you could do everything a quest system could do so I don't why people say we need one still..
>
> What exactly are people wanting out of a quest system that you can't already do with the event system? I need someone to explain what is missing so I can work on adding it in.

The event system does not do kill counts. Also, it only checks for one of a certain item instead of multiples. If you can change that and release tutorials I'll worship you! XD

So basically if I just added a kill count option and fixed the stackable items bug, it would be fine?

Well, I just converted Altar's old quest system for EO over to work with EM. Everything server side and client side works, I just need to recode the visual side of the quest log and quest messages. So I gave in and just put in a separate quest system. I'll fix the item bug though and post a tutorial on it.

I fixed the Conditional Branch's for Item checking. You can now check for a certain amount of an item. I also fixed the code in TakeItem with the event system so it checks to make sure you have enough of the item before taking. I added it to EM and posted a tutorial under the Bug Fix section.

Tomorrow I will work more on trying to get the visual aspect of the Quest System done (The guild system/MiniMap was the first time I've looked at anything to do with DX8 rendering)…

BTW, due to me trying out Deathbeam's reduced event system when putting up the bug fix for item amounts and adding the conditional item amount in. I have now decided there is no way in hell I'm switching to his system. Nothing against DB and I'm not saying it isn't faster or might be better. I just personally do NOT like the system and had a hell of a time trying to make events to test so my engine will be sticking with JC's version.

Hey a great feature would be the ability to copy a whole event. Maybe a boolean shift + right click would copy an event on the map and the next left click would place a duplicate of it.

Yet another idea, maybe a different boolean could make a reference copy. If you made 5 reference copies then decided to change one, all the others would change as well.

I do think the first one I mentioned that just duplicates would be far more useful.

Thanks for your great work!

Quest system is about 80% done. All of the client/server side code for it is done, I'm just figuring out the visual aspect of it now. I haven't done much with dx8 besides converting over the mini-map and guild system so I'm not 100% sure how to setup the visual aspect of the quest log but thats what I'm working on now and it should be done within the week.

> Quest system is about 80% done. All of the client/server side code for it is done, I'm just figuring out the visual aspect of it now. I haven't done much with dx8 besides converting over the map editor and guild system so I'm not 100% sure how to setup the visual aspect of the quest log but thats what I'm working on now and it should be done within the week.

Can't wait. Keep up the hard work ![:)](http://www.touchofdeathforums.com/community/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/smile.png)

I wont be adding little things like that to the engine because they are to games-specific. A lot of people don't want players to be able to walk through each other.

Also a little update on the quest system. I built the questlog today and the system is almost done. I just have to spend a day or two later playing around with different quest types to make sure everything is working. Below is an example of how the quest log and quest dialog look ingame.

>! ![](http://www.freemmorpgmaker.com/files/imagehost/pics/340dfd5e967ee93857a98522ad95fc18.png)

The log will display 10 quests at a time. You use the arrow keys to scroll through them and the display will update as you scroll. Once you start a quest it will show up in green in your log showing the Quest Name and current step your on in the quest. Once you complete the quest the text will change to red.

A sacrifice I will have to make. The things I do for features ![;)](http://www.touchofdeathforums.com/community/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/wink.png). Also is that just me or is there room for another button next to quest?. Do you have something else planned?.

Quest system and event system are both on their own. I may look into adding an option onto quests for event switches to be set/required for quest steps so they can be used together though.

Also a little update, here is what the menu gui buttons now look like and how the new Guild Menu looks. You can now have 50 guild members (was set to 15 for the old gui setup) and can scroll through the members using the arrows. (Online members will be in green, offline in red)

![](http://i45.tinypic.com/168ftwk.png)

jaekx made the graphic for the guild button.

> Hi, i have a error with the Guild system… I put in the Chat /guild make Admin ADM , and the game give me a error : Run-time error 380 : Invalid property value.
>
> I put all the command.
>
> Command Name Tag
>
> V V V
>
> /guild make Admin ADM. Is correctly?
>
> Ertzel says: /guild make (GuildName) (GuildTag)...
>
> Really i need a help. thank you ^^
>
> Good work Ertzel!

I have the same problem and i can find what happens :s I have just a few knowledge with vb6\. Could you explain me how to report you that error with visual basic?

Looking fantastic so far Ertzel. That idea for a link between quests and guilds is a good one, and look into an event to give out a quest by a command, and perhaps a few requirements.

And I suggestion, for shadow rendering, try to add that, but make it scale based on the NPC size, that would be cool.

Okay, figured out the guild bug. I messed up and put index in a few paces in GuildMake where it should of been Founder_Index in the server source.

Go to GuildMake and find```
' Check if item is required
```and replace the three Index's (One in the itemAmount line, one in the PlayerMsg line and one in the TakeInvItem line) with Founder_Index.

Then go to the bottom of GuildMake and find the```
PlayerMsg Index, "You an talk in guild chat with :
```line and replace Index with Founder_Index.

This will be fixed in the next version.

I also fixed chat bubbles for when a player is in a guild. Before it would display the bubble over the guild tag but now it goes above the tag if they are in a guild and if not then above the name like normal.

Then I did some touch up's with the guild menu and auto-updating the member list when people join/leave the guild.

I added a button on the quest requirements tab to require a player switch from the event's system now which works. I'll look into adding a quest step requirement button onto the event system next so they both interact with each other.

I'm just having one problem with the quest system and error'ing out whenever I try to give out items with it. I'll have to do a few more tests over the next couple days and try to figure it out.

Again, I don't even know what your problem is. You say you get an error when trying to make a guild but don't show what in the code is error'ing and I am not able to re-produce it as making guilds works fine for me. I have no way of fixing something when I don't even know what I'm suppose to be looking for.

Make sure you didn't copy any old account files from another version of Eclipse or that could be causing your problem. If you can't figure it out or show me the actual error, just wait for the next version of EM as I know the system in it works.