Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

JDawn

Dextrell

Hello everyone, thank you for checking out my project thread, i am somewhat quite new to this forum and i've been looking around however i could not find any eclipse versions that meet my standards :( (VB is not OOP, I dislike the .Net conventions, not cross platform), however, i have decided to create a java version of eclipse origins from scratch i plan on using javax.swing package for any graphical effects and java NIO for networking. This project is mainly for educational purposes and i do plan on releasing this to the community once it's complete.

So here are the bonuses to using my version

Cross platform

Mac OSX support (I will be releasing a seperate client for macs)

Object Orientated

Fully documented project (Makes everyones lives easier i will upload the java documentation on my website)

I know someone has told me about someone releasing a java conversion of eclipse here, however, i dislike non-renamed varaibles and methods so i thought i'd make the client from ground up as well :P

I know java doesn't have the potential C++ or C# has when it comes to game programming like memory allocation and the ability to run multiple cores but lets be rational this is a 2D game engine i don't think any programming language needs to run more than one core for a 2D game (that's an overkill  :P) however i cannot say the same for the server :P but i shouldn't be a problem.

Media

![](http://s22.postimg.org/ikftpxfcx/Client.png)

Updates

State Handler has been added to handle the game stages

Background class has been implemented to load images on to the client

User input has been added

Mac compatability has been added for the cache

Upcoming updates

GameState system (handles the game stages of the game you're in so lets say you're in level 1 in a game or you're in a certain map the gamestate

will handle it and the client will send the server a packet indicating where the player is.)

![](http://s10.postimg.org/rfa8haiy1/new_Login.png)

![](http://s16.postimg.org/uduwu8an9/logged_In.png)

> I like your idea, cross platform is always good. Making a C++ or C# version would be pointless. I like the idea of a good java version though.

Actually a server application would be a great idea but only if you have more than 1400 Players :P since C++ can use more than one core and thank you Philosophy it was a pleasure meeting you in the shoutbox

> First off, I like what you are doing and wish you good luck! :D But I do believe that this sort of topic/post belongs in eclipse custom versions. Just so you know ;) Good luck!

Yes you're right! Philosophy told me that in the shoutbox but it was too late i got the message after i created the thread :( if a moderator could move this thread i would appreciate it.

> First off, I like what you are doing and wish you good luck! :D But I do believe that **this sort of topic/post belongs in eclipse custom versions**. Just so you know ;) Good luck!

> I think this would be a "Custom Version" as opposed to an Eclipse Project, which are typically games made with Eclipse

LoL What a good community :D

> I think this would be a "Custom Version" as opposed to an Eclipse Project, which are typically games made with Eclipse

Yeah sky addressed that on his previous post unfortunately I will have to wait until there is a moderator available to move this thread.

@sky

I sense sarcasm I don't understand why you say what a good community in a bad way, so far I've liked my stay here and everyone seems to be friendly; I personally think this community is great!

New update

I've been doing some research on the Linux operating system so I have decided to implement an OSListener which on start up it detects what operating system you're running and runs a condition which sets the clients configurations for the best optimization settings for your OS

For example, windows OS doesn't need V-synch enabled and the fps is smoothly displayed, however I noticed that on Linux the fps sometimes dramatically drops so It would set v-synch enabled by default.

The client currently runs at 60 fps with the game loop I'm using.

I am going to do some research on Tiled based maps I might create a tiled map creator just like the one eclipse has.

> Yeah sky addressed that on his previous post unfortunately I will have to wait until there is a moderator available to move this thread.
>
> @sky
>
> I sense sarcasm I don't understand why you say what a good community in a bad way, so far I've liked my stay here and everyone seems to be friendly; I personally think this community is great!
>
> New update
>
> I've been doing some research on the Linux operating system so I have decided to implement an OSListener which on start up it detects what operating system you're running and runs a condition which sets the clients configurations for the best optimization settings for your OS
>
> For example, windows OS doesn't need V-synch enabled and the fps is smoothly displayed, however I noticed that on Linux the fps sometimes dramatically drops so It would set v-synch enabled by default.
>
> The client currently runs at 60 fps with the game loop I'm using.
>
> I am going to do some research on Tiled based maps I might create a tiled map creator just like the one eclipse has.

Thats sounds quite good, I like the self detecting OS it will make gaming much better! I am sure this project will turn out great! 60 frames a second is perfect to what kind of PC you got (spec wise)

> Thats sounds quite good, I like the self detecting OS it will make gaming much better! I am sure this project will turn out great! 60 frames a second is perfect to what kind of PC you got (spec wise)

2gb ram

Nvidia GeForce 6200

120 GB hard drive (Sata)

Intel pentium 4

I know it's an old desktop that I upgraded to windows 7 :( that's why I'm limited to 2D programming

Thank you for the comment philosophy :) it really increases my motivation towards this project. Well my next step is designing a player entity and mob entity with UML I plan on making the entity an interface which contains methods that every entity shares in common.

So it would work like this

Public class Player implements Entity

{

protected int xCoordinate;

@Override

public void getX()

{

return xCoordinate;

}

}

That's just a basic example using an accessor there are more methods that need to be implemented when creating an entity

Oh and by the way I'm basically using a while loop for the game loop with a thread and I implemented the runnable interface so there is a Boolean called isRunning and when the game component is constructed the Boolean is set to true upon the run method a thread initialized and 3 variables are set detecting the time each loop starts and another variable contains the time difference which is the time it takes for the UPS and FPS to be processed then the thread sleeps and runs again! :)

> Yeah sky addressed that on his previous post unfortunately I will have to wait until there is a moderator available to move this thread.
>
> **@sky
>
> I sense sarcasm I don't understand why you say what a good community in a bad way, so far I've liked my stay here and everyone seems to be friendly; I personally think this community is great!**
>
> New update
>
> I've been doing some research on the Linux operating system so I have decided to implement an OSListener which on start up it detects what operating system you're running and runs a condition which sets the clients configurations for the best optimization settings for your OS
>
> For example, windows OS doesn't need V-synch enabled and the fps is smoothly displayed, however I noticed that on Linux the fps sometimes dramatically drops so It would set v-synch enabled by default.
>
> The client currently runs at 60 fps with the game loop I'm using.
>
> I am going to do some research on Tiled based maps I might create a tiled map creator just like the one eclipse has.

I love this community too! Otherwise I wouldn't have stayed for so long. I was looking at it in a humorous way, I apologize if anyone saw it otherwise :D

> I love this community too! Otherwise I wouldn't have stayed for so long. I was looking at it in a humorous way, I apologize if anyone saw it otherwise :D

I just revised what I said to you, wow I sound like a jerk, I'm sorry. And yes this is a great community :) feel free to add me if you would like to get to know me better.

For future reference, if you ever need a thread moved or see something in the wrong section you're welcome to use the report function at the bottom right of every post. :) It makes our jobs easier, while we do tend to read as much as possible it's not always feasible to expect us to read every single post made at any given time. :) It'd be a never ending job, haha.

Anyway, I am not 100% sure on what the rules are regarding custom engine posts. So I'll have to forward this to someone else. But rest assured, it's being worked on and it has been noticed.

Now for a more personal remark, why MacOSX but no Linux support?

> For future reference, if you ever need a thread moved or see something in the wrong section you're welcome to use the report function at the bottom right of every post. :) It makes our jobs easier, while we do tend to read as much as possible it's not always feasible to expect us to read every single post made at any given time. :) It'd be a never ending job, haha.
>
>  
>
> Anyway, I am not 100% sure on what the rules are regarding custom engine posts. So I'll have to forward this to someone else. But rest assured, it's being worked on and it has been noticed.
>
>  
>
> Now for a more personal remark, why MacOSX but no Linux support?

Of course it will support Linux! thats why it has an OSListener to set the best optimizations accroding to the OS you're running :)

> I went ahead and moved it to custom versions. As long as the project isn't dropped it will be okay here.
>
>  
>
> Best of luck.
>
>  
>
> JC

Thank you, i plan on updating this project at least once a week.

Good luck with this. I attempted to do the same thing a while back and got it to work. But it was way to bugged up for me to fix it.

> What graphics library you using?

I'm not using any external libraries the only library I'm using for graphics is javax swing I plan on implementing JOGL later on if I start adding graphical features such as particles and lighting effects however it is possible to do that with swing :P