Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

OMFG. Whats wrong with my computer!

I can only open safari, not firefox. It just doesn't open.
I can't open my documents, or my pictures.
It just doesn't open. I can't open folders on my desktop.
They just don't open.

Do i have a virus?!

HELLLLP

probably a virus, i would start your computer in safe mode and see if it still happens. Then i would start removing start up applications until you get the onie that is the virus. You can recognize most startup items that are supposed to be there. Tap F8 while starting up to get into safe mode/. or just unplug your computer and it will ask you if you want to go into safe mode because it shut down wrong.

try downloading Spybot S&D from their website and installing it. if you can get it to run do a virus scan.  if you arent able to use that then try an in-browser virus scanner that uses java.

if it comes to you having to reinstall windows i'd recommend that you boot ubuntu or something from a CD and use that to back up ur files b4 u wipe ur HDD clean.

~symph

@Nightblast:

> Trust me it's a trojan…
> It'll of most likely been there for a looooonnng time.
> And now, it's showing the effects, way too late.

A trojan isn't designed to do damage (unless the person controlling the trojan decides to manually crash the computer).  Trojans are bad though, but for an entirely differnet purpose.

A computer virus, on the other hand, is more likely the culprit

If I were you I would shut off the computer and use a different one for the time being.

I would then go and order a free Ubuntu CD or burn a copy (freeware)
Then insert it into your virused computer and boot it from the CD, (DO NOT INSTALL)
then in ubuntu backup all of your files to a different storage device, afterwords reinstall Windows.

it works. just might take a while.
but every HDD needs a good repartitioning and formatting every once in a while :)

@Lena:

> It started deleting things like paint and solitare.
>
> Augh, augh augh.

I had that as well. It seemed to go away after I took out my USB. I'm guessing the virus was from downloading ftp clients. Eugh.

We Reinstalled the OS because *shifty* I downloaded 30 viruses. We should have a world record attempt at the most viruses!

FTW!