Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

EE3.0 Graphics, and Script Transfer!

Irhymer

Does this sound like you?!

_"Iv'e gathered all the graphics and most of the scripts i need for these games. But im worried about what i can do for the game now, and still transfer to 3.0 smoothly"_

Well you've come to the right place! This is the:

_**EE3.0 Graphics and Script Transfer Q&A!**_

**Q: GUI: If i make all new GUI will the GUI layout be the same in 3.0?**

_A: All it needs are the same buttons. You define the shape and layout in the config file. You can also stream the images from websites if you want.
Answer by Zetta Monkey_

**Q: Sprites: I heard they will be more RPG Maker format. But im not sure exactly what u mean. Can someone show me an example of how they will be placed?**

_A: If I remember correctly, each character will have a set of 8 rows of sprites, and instead of being 12 sprites across like they are right now (are they 12?), they would be "n", in other words, you get to define how many frames is in your sprite sheet yourself.
Answered by Admiral Ref Uge!_

_A2:Each sprite will have its own file.  So instead of making one ginormous sprite sheet, each one will have it's own sprite1.png (you don't need to use the nasty .bmp anymore) and it's own sprite1.ini (I got the extension wrong on that, but I'm not sure what it is).  That way you can specify the sprite size, the "N" and other information, allowing for a LOT more versatility
Info by Antidote_

_A2: its not 3x3, its n x 8\. You may have as many sprites across and its 8 rows. 4 for motion, 4 for attack.
Answered by Zetta Monkey_

**Q: Tiles: I know one of my games will need at least 20 tile sheets. Im pretty sure someone said 3.0 will have unlimited Tile Sheets, but will they be the same format?**

_A: Tile sheets have to be a power of 2; so anywhere from 32x32 to 2048x2048 pixels. The number of tilesheets is defined in the Config file and so is the directory where they are stored.
Answer by Zetta Monkey_

**Q: Items: Will the items sheet be the same format? If not, how will it be?**

_A: Same as sprites, might change
Answer by Zetta monkey_

**Q: Spells: Same questions. Will they have the same format? If not how will it be?**

Not Answered

**Q: Spell Icons: Will 3.0 be making use of the icons, like an action bar?**

Not Answered

**Q:Source/Scripts: If I make source edits and scripts now, can they be transferred to the new 3.0 client? (I think they said 3.0 was gonna be java instead of VB6….)**

_A: Yes, it is in Java.  You no longer need VB6 to edit the source, instead you can use Eclipse SDK ([http://www.eclipse.org/](http://www.eclipse.org/)) (which is what HM is using to make it) to edit the source.

The stuff that is in Sadscript will be slightly different (it's in JavaScript instead of VBScript now), but it's not too different.  And example, is the OnAttack sub in the Main.txt:

```
Sub OnAttack(Index, Damage)
Dim Target

If Int(Damage) > 0 Then
If Int(GetPlayerTarget(Index)) > 0 Then
Target = GetPlayerTarget(Index)
Call DamagePlayer(Index, Target, Damage)
Else
Target = GetPlayerTargetNpc(Index)
Call DamageNPC(Index, Target, Damage)
End If
End If
End Sub
```
Here is what it will look like in 3.0:

```
function OnAttack(Index, Damage)
{
var Target;
if(Damage > 0)
if(sadscript.GetPlayerTarget(Index) > 0)
{
Target = sadscript.GetPlayerTarget(Index);
adscript.DamagePlayer(Index, Target, Damage);
}
else
{
Target = GetPlayerTargetNpc(Index);
sadscript.DamageNPC(Index, Target, Damage);
}
}
```Answered by Admiral Ref Uge!_

**Q: Server: Will anything be different in the server folder?**

_A: New folders: "Scripts/plugins" and "HTML". If you dont have the correct layout, the server builds the folders and downloads the defaults into them from the svn.
Answer by Zetta Monkey_
–------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Can these please be answered like below:

Spells: Yes/No they will/wont be the same format. Exc...

Thanks a lot in  advanced. And sorry if im bothering the devs to much with these questions.  :azn:

_Last Updated : June 7, 2009_

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

**GUI: If i make all new GUI will the GUI layout be the same in 3.0?**
I think you define the GUI, and choose where you get it streamed (have to wait for HM to answer that one).

**Sprites: I heard they will be more RPG Maker format. But im not sure exactly what u mean. Can someone show me an example of how they will be placed?**
If I remember correctly, each character will have a set of 8 rows of sprites, and instead of being 12 sprites across like they are right now (are they 12?), they would be "n", in other words, you get to define how many frames is in your sprite sheet yourself.

**Tiles: I know one of my games will need at least 20 tile sheets. Im pretty sure someone said 3.0 will have unlimited Tile Sheets, but will they be the same format?**
I'm not exactly sure about this one; I think you can stream the tiles off another website, and have as many tiles as you want.

**Source/Scripts: If I make source edits and scripts now, can they be transferred to the new 3.0 client? (I think they said 3.0 was gonna be java instead of VB6….)**
Yes, it is in Java.  You no longer need VB6 to edit the source, instead you can use [Eclipse SDK](http://www.eclipse.org) (which is what HM is using to make it) to edit the source.

The stuff that is in Sadscript will be slightly different (it's in JavaScript instead of VBScript now), but it's not too different.  And example, is the OnAttack sub in the Main.txt:
```
Sub OnAttack(Index, Damage)
Dim Target

If Int(Damage) > 0 Then
If Int(GetPlayerTarget(Index)) > 0 Then
Target = GetPlayerTarget(Index)
Call DamagePlayer(Index, Target, Damage)
Else
Target = GetPlayerTargetNpc(Index)
Call DamageNPC(Index, Target, Damage)
End If
End If
End Sub

```Here is what it will look like in 3.0:
```
function OnAttack(Index, Damage)
{
var Target;
if(Damage > 0)
if(sadscript.GetPlayerTarget(Index) > 0)
{
Target = sadscript.GetPlayerTarget(Index);
adscript.DamagePlayer(Index, Target, Damage);
}
else
{
Target = GetPlayerTargetNpc(Index);
sadscript.DamageNPC(Index, Target, Damage);
}
}

```
That's all I can really answer

Thanks alot. :azn:

So what i'm hearing. The Graphics will not be like before in a folder? They will be hosted on a site?

And so the characters…. I can just make each animaitons. Like The 4 panels for walking left (one animation). 4 panels for walking right (one animation), and maybe 3 panels for an attack animation (instead of attack being walking... which i hate...). Is that what u mean?
:cheesy:

PS: it think this could be a good 3.0 Q&A  ;)

@Irhymer:

> Thanks alot. :azn:
>
> So what i'm hearing. The Graphics will not be like before in a folder? They will be hosted on a site?
>
> And so the characters…. I can just make each animaitons. Like The 4 panels for walking left (one animation). 4 panels for walking right (one animation), and maybe 3 panels for an attack animation (instead of attack being walking... which i hate...). Is that what u mean?
> :cheesy:
>
> PS: it think this could be a good 3.0 Q&A  ;)

This is what HM said on the sprites:
its not 3x3, its n x 8\. You may have as many sprites across and its 8 rows. 4 for motion, 4 for attack.

**GUI**
All it needs are the same buttons. You define the shape and layout in the config file. You can also stream the images from websites if you want.

**Sprites**
Ive attached a sprite that needs the attack frames but thats the basic layout. The number of sprites and directory where they are stored are defined in the Config file.

**Tiles**
Tile sheets have to be a power of 2; so anywhere from 32x32 to 2048x2048 pixels. The number of tilesheets is defined in the Config file and so is the directory where they are stored.

**Items**
Same as sprites, might change

**Icons**
What were those for again?

**Scripts**
Admiral got it. You also can use the objects that the engine uses to further control the engine from scripts. If you wanted to make a spell that sets you to look exactly like another person;
```
var sprite = player[target].getSprite();
player[index].getSprite() = sprite;

```Since the object is just an address point, it will set your sprite to your target's sprite. So if you move, your target moves and if your target moves, you would move. cool eh? Items are also unclonable because of that.

**Server**
New folders: "Scripts/plugins" and "HTML". If you dont have the correct layout, the server builds the folders and downloads the defaults into them from the svn.

Hey, just reminding you about the last few questions… ;)

1 - Will the attack animations be the same format as the walking?

2 - Will the spell animations be the same format as before?

3 - Can i just put my tiles in the same way thy are now?

And in my previous post it shows the spell icons for clarifying the spell icons being in 3,0 or not. Their are also still 2 questions at the top. Thank you  :azn:

Maybe after all of these questions are done this can be stickied  ;)

So HM, the sprite animation will be like the attached image? U said its like  n by 8\. So N (columns) are unlimited. So I made one with 5 by 8\. The top 4 rows are movement and the bottom 4 rows are attack (just an example). So is this how it will be? :huh:

Sweet! Thanx so much, Now I can work on my whole game and then just plug it in later!  :azn:

Now pretty much everything is clear except for, If the spells and tiles will be the same, and if u will be using the spell icons in 3.0 because they werent used in 2.7  ;)

So this means that the sprite sheets can't be, for example, 256 by 512 or something?  They have to be squares?  I'd like to just be able to plug in my tiles as they are now…but if not, I'd like to know, as well.

This is GREAT!  I can finally start putting together all the sprites for my game, work on the GUI, and that'll give me plenty to do while I'm waiting.

And I have an answer...maybe not, but information, I guess:
Each sprite will have its own file.  So instead of making one ginormous sprite sheet, each one will have it's own sprite1.png (you don't need to use the nasty .bmp anymore) and it's own sprite1.ini (I got the extension wrong on that, but I'm not sure what it is).  That way you can specify the sprite size, the "N" and other information, allowing for a LOT more versatility.

Hope I helped a bit!

So the sprites would be like this?

–----------------------------------------------------------------------------
| front standing    | front walking 1      | front walking 2      | front attacking    |
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
| leftside standing  | leftside walking 1  | leftside walking 2  | leftside attacking  |
| rightside standing | rightside walking 1 | rightside walking 2 | rightside attacking |
| back standing      | back walking 1      | back walking 2      | back attacking    |

if u already started ur game then keep it in 2.7 But this topic for people getting started to switch up their sprites and other things before they get to far.  ;)

and please stop complaining.Their are new animations so it cant be as easy as u want it to be, :rolleyes: