Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Project Vertigo Origins [ 1.1.4 – FINAL ] (2D Side-Scrolling ORPG Engine)

mrmiguu

@horsehead:

> what will be the changelog? btw what u will be the new features in the new version

So far the progress is:
```
==========================================
Project Vertigo Origins [1.0.0] -> [1.0.1]
==========================================
- [DONE] Fixed paperdoll to fit along dynamic sprite frames.
- NPC animations dynamic like player sprites.
- Allow NPCs to fall off the edge of platforms
- [DONE] Fixed directional blocking.
- [DONE] Fixed spells to display player's attack-animation during cast.
- [DONE] Now you can't warp out of bounds
```
@Urimas:

> Miguu is it possible to added 2 new attack animtions to your origins edit you already have attack what about range and magic? that way you have a
> Melee attack animation
> Bow/Gun Attack animation
> Spell Cast magic attack animation
>
> could you do that?

I will do the ranged anim and leave the attack anim. As for spells, they vary far too much to create just "one" new set of frames. TBH, it's EXTREMELY easy to add in your own system. If you look at how I did it, you just need to create new checks for whatever action your sprite does, then throw it into the already systematic equation to determine the sprite frames and where they're located dynamically. The spell anim is already (for the next release) set to attack. You can change it on your own by **using your brain**. OMFG iKr?!

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@Miguu:

> @horsehead:
>
> > what will be the changelog? btw what u will be the new features in the new version
>
> So far the progress is:
> ```
> ==========================================
> Project Vertigo Origins [1.0.0] -> [1.0.1]
> ==========================================
> - [DONE] Fixed paperdoll to fit along dynamic sprite frames.
> - NPC animations dynamic like player sprites.
> - Allow NPCs to fall off the edge of platforms
> - [DONE] Fixed directional blocking.
> - [DONE] Fixed spells to display player's attack-animation during cast.
> - [DONE] Now you can't warp out of bounds
> ```
> @Urimas:
>
> > Miguu is it possible to added 2 new attack animtions to your origins edit you already have attack what about range and magic? that way you have a
> > Melee attack animation
> > Bow/Gun Attack animation
> > Spell Cast magic attack animation
> >
> > could you do that?
>
> I will do the ranged anim and leave the attack anim. As for spells, they vary far too much to create just "one" new set of frames. TBH, it's EXTREMELY easy to add in your own system. If you look at how I did it, you just need to create new checks for whatever action your sprite does, then throw it into the already systematic equation to determine the sprite frames and where they're located dynamically. The spell anim is already (for the next release) set to attack. You can change it on your own by **using your brain**. OMFG iKr?!

cant wait for the next pvo version  :icon_music:

Well I won't postpone the release if you guys ask for it. If anything, it'll prompt me to work on finishing up sooner. I usually work on it when I find time to. I have school and karate as the main sources of eating up my time. My dad usually eats up a good sum of it too by guilting me into working on fixing up my car over the weekends. He wants me to check my breaks with him this weekend (he can turn a 30 min project into a 2-day thing). I will probably finish up this weekend (or Wednesday since that is my "day-off") and release the following day.

Wow, This is a very powerful engine.

This is sort of what I always wanted, I just have a few questions.

I need to know how to work the GFX of Origins?

For instance, the base Kirby sprite has about 8 movement frames, 7 attack frames and like 13 running frames, etc.

I'm wondering how you decide how that, how can I Change it.  I want to edit custom graphics of my own but that doesn't use all those frames. If you could provide a Tut. that would be very nice. Thanks for your engine

@Anferny:

> Wow, This is a very powerful engine.
>
> This is sort of what I always wanted, I just have a few questions.
>
> I need to know how to work the GFX of Origins?
>
> For instance, the base Kirby sprite has about 8 movement frames, 7 attack frames and like 13 running frames, etc.
>
> I'm wondering how you decide how that, how can I Change it.  I want to edit custom graphics of my own but that doesn't use all those frames. If you could provide a Tut. that would be very nice. Thanks for your engine

In **modConstants** there are declarations for how many frames for each action there will be. The engine reads those numbers and determines how to read the sprite file. Also what horsehead said about the read-me in the character folder.

@Miguu:

> Well I won't postpone the release if you guys ask for it. If anything, it'll prompt me to work on finishing up sooner. I usually work on it when I find time to. I have school and karate as the main sources of eating up my time. My dad usually eats up a good sum of it too by guilting me into working on fixing up my car over the weekends. He wants me to check my breaks with him this weekend (he can turn a 30 min project into a 2-day thing). I will probably finish up this weekend (or Wednesday since that is my "day-off") and release the following day.

Can't wait ;D Gonna be awesome!

If I wanted to put separate frame counts for individual sprites would it be as simple as this?

```
If SpriteNumber = 1 Then
Public Const FRAMES_STANDING As Integer = 1
Public Const FRAMES_WALKING As Integer = 7
Public Const FRAMES_RUNNING As Integer = 7
Public Const FRAMES_ATTACKING As Integer = 6
Public Const FRAMES_JUMPING As Integer = 1
Public Const FRAMES_FALLING As Integer = 1
Public Const FRAMES_LENGTH As Long = 500
Public attackspeed As Long
Public pCheck As Long
End If
```
Or similar code, then repeating the process for each individual sprite? Or would there be more to it than that?

@Gohan:

> If I wanted to put separate frame counts for individual sprites would it be as simple as this?
>
> ```
> If SpriteNumber = 1 Then
> Public Const FRAMES_STANDING As Integer = 1
> Public Const FRAMES_WALKING As Integer = 7
> Public Const FRAMES_RUNNING As Integer = 7
> Public Const FRAMES_ATTACKING As Integer = 6
> Public Const FRAMES_JUMPING As Integer = 1
> Public Const FRAMES_FALLING As Integer = 1
> Public Const FRAMES_LENGTH As Long = 500
> Public attackspeed As Long
> Public pCheck As Long
> End If
> ```
> Or similar code, then repeating the process for each individual sprite? Or would there be more to it than that?

Funny you mention that. I was considering having each player have their own personal frame settings (maybe the frames are assigned to sprites as a SpriteRec in the modTypes).

@Miguu:

> Funny you mention that. I was considering having each player have their own personal frame settings (maybe the frames are assigned to sprites as a SpriteRec in the modTypes).

I see. You were already thinking about it.

Well for the sake of knowledge, would it be that simple or is there more to it?

@Miguu:

> I will do the ranged anim and leave the attack anim. As for spells, they vary far too much to create just "one" new set of frames. TBH, it's EXTREMELY easy to add in your own system. If you look at how I did it, you just need to create new checks for whatever action your sprite does, then throw it into the already systematic equation to determine the sprite frames and where they're located dynamically. The spell anim is already (for the next release) set to attack. You can change it on your own by **using your brain**. OMFG iKr?!

Shame i dont have VB6 :(

@Urimas:

> @Miguu:
>
> > I will do the ranged anim and leave the attack anim. As for spells, they vary far too much to create just "one" new set of frames. TBH, it's EXTREMELY easy to add in your own system. If you look at how I did it, you just need to create new checks for whatever action your sprite does, then throw it into the already systematic equation to determine the sprite frames and where they're located dynamically. The spell anim is already (for the next release) set to attack. You can change it on your own by **using your brain**. OMFG iKr?!
>
> Shame I dont have VB6 :(

I was thinking of making the animation frames determined via sprite editors or maybe a txt file in the characters folder so you wouldn't need VB6.

@DshWinchester:

> ah.
> map animations is essencialy
> we can make Clouds,Birds and other stuffs
>
> if playerHasVb then
> can be scripted using sendanimation
> else
> without map animation  ;D
> end if
>
> its just a tip
> maybe will have on next eo version

Are you talking about animated background images?

Hey, Thanks for the help with the sprite, but I'm still having issues.

I edited it (with notepad) to read how I wanted the sprites.

Do I NEED to edit it with VB6? Or was editing it in notepad fine. I'm not sure.

It's still treating the .bmp I have like the previous one, the kirby one, with 13 running frames, etc.

Any help would be nice.  You can post http://www.touchofdeathforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=64869.0 there to prevent my useless questions in this thread :D