Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Project Natal (Good Or Bad Move?) Xbox 360

JayT

hey i dunno if you guys have heard about the new Project Natal coming out for xbox 360\. it basicaly replaces the controller and use motion censors and a cam to pick up any movement from your body and will aparently come with face and voice recognition!! does any1 think this may be a bad move having this replace the good old controller? Or does it open up many more ways a player can play a game now?

also i hear its going to be around £90 so roughly $150???

@Pete:

> If they leave some sort of control support, it'll be fine.

yer u can use your controller as per normal because not every1 can afford this.

i think this will kill anything that the Wii or PS3 will bring out for now. i have the added censor for the Wii and i dont think its gonna be as effective as Natal

@Anna:

> Technology like this is worthless if you don't have any half-decent applications that use it well. It will hardly kill anything the Wii or PS3 will bring out, that's fanboy talk right there.

i admit i like the xbox more than my ps3 or wii but i'd choose the pc anyday over a console :P

@[The:

> Kreator link=topic=49092.msg508292#msg508292 date=1248780231]
> Seems every console is trying to match PS3's new motion sensor, or Wii's motion plus. At least no one misses out, but theres going to be even more competition between the three now.

Nah, Wii isnt in the fight, not at all.
Xbox beats in fans.
PS3 beats in motion sensor and graphics.

developers have already stated that its going to be difficult to develop for project natal using currently existing technology because all input is recognised by camera

its much harder to develop a game when there are no buttons

How so?

The main thing is, a piece of junk store bought PC can let you do far more than any of the consoles can. That's just because the applications. Consoles are great for video games, but that's all they are good for. With a personal computer (of any type), you can _create_ games as well.
:)

I didn't even bash the PS3, why were you taking it so personally? Sounding like a fanboy to me.

@Anna:

> How so?
>
> The main thing is, a piece of junk store bought PC can let you do far more than any of the consoles can. That's just because the applications. Consoles are great for video games, but that's all they are good for. With a personal computer (of any type), you can _create_ games as well.
> :)
>
> I didn't even bash the PS3, why were you taking it so personally? Sounding like a fanboy to me.

Not a fan boy. and you DID bash the PS3, since it IS a console. I'm just taking it's side more then the 360, because.. its closer to a PC then the Xbox.

Gone way offtopic.

I think Natal will be sick if it lives up to its capabilities hype.  For sure it will outclass the motion abilities on Wii and PS3.  And there is no reason a controller couldnt be used as well, adding even more versatility.  I think it could be hellu sick.

• 2 weeks later...
1\. Motion Detection uses Depth Field, meaning the background will be static, the player's body will be matched with a wireframe-skeleton, thus, you have full control and detection. If you have four arms or one leg, this will cause bugginess.

2\. Natal is better than Wii because it also has voice recognition and face recognition.

3\. Ps3 isn't that good (But, isn't console fanboyism not allowed in Eclipse? Or is that just Debate only?).

4\. I'm still pissed about my DVD Drive. (:

Additional: It's been rumoured to come out late 2009, but may be heading for late 2010\. It will cost around $500 (£280).

The Wii uses pre-generated commands not free movement thus the Wii has more "button" commands whereas the 360 is "supposed" to allow for free movement. My concern is what happens if someone walks past the player or if one is playing music? I'd like to see how they plan on setting everything up. This is not fanboy-ism this is purely curiosity. (Because to some that makes a difference.)