Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

So I can't make a game, can I at least make a movie?

TT Snim

I want to tell stories, that's what I do, I'm very creative.  If i can't make a game then can I at least put my pixel talent to good use and animate some thing?

I doubt there is a way to animate a movie with Eclipse, BUT there IS a program that may be able to help me do just what I'm thinking of doing!

Animpixel!  http://www.animpixels.com/

This tile based animation program allows you to create your own sprites, objects, flat images, and of course tiles.  You can use a simple path way to direct where you want your sprites to go, animate your objects, and even add different scenes to your animation.  You can save as an AVI or GIF, and you can add word bubbles for dialogue. 

It's draw backs are that it's very small and the repository does not have a lot of resources.  It does come with a lot of potential and open ended possibilities.

At least I KNOW THIS will work on my windows computer with out needing an internet connection!  XD

The only problem is is the fact that the sprites here are very small.  I'm not sure how small they are compared to my new stuff, but I think I could re do the sprites.  ^_^ 

All I have to do is get it from the internet to my desk top, and as some of you know that involves drawing pentagrams in goats' blood  and praying to my toaster, but once I do it shoul;d be short order to make some thing cute. 

And props Anna.  (Maybe)  XD

Snim - I would do flash. Aftrer reading tutorials you can be good at making sprite movies real fast. If you want to see some stuff done that way: [NEWGROUNDS EXAMPLE](http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/515407).

Only drawback - it's not legal unless you have 2k$ to spare. But you can put it on newgrounds anyways - nobody will check if you have a legit flash unless you try to take proffit from it.

The good thing about this program for me is not only have I used it before, but I've become FAR better at sprite animation sense I used it last.  Pixel is no longer a grand frustrating mystery to me.  I may be able to crank out some starting art in just a couple of days to make an animation. 

The down side, I'm working with my ghetto computer system.  But if I just take the Ax to the grind stone and remember the program will COPY AND PAST then I should be fine.

WARNING RANT AHEAD!

I will address the issue of me using Flash to animate right now: I can't afford it, I can't draw in it, and I don't have a computer that will run it.  Asking me to use flash to animate is like asking a poor cave-less cave man who has lost his arms in a freak alligator vs. smiladon accident to do a painting of a rainbow colored mammoth on his own stalagmites.

As shocking as this may seem this analogy works for about 90% of the art community.  Why?  Because we are not _animators_.  It's easy to draw three or four frames of animation and use a point and click system to move a person from point A to point B in a measured and predictable way to show a figure walking.  It's cheaper too, and I don't just mean monetarily, but in time as well. 

_(Being a gaming community that tries to MAKE games you should understand this concept clearly, but that wont make me end this rant.)_

To put this in to perspective a Disney movie and an FPS game can take roughly the same amount of time to make.  But while you have to sit through an hour and a half of mindless drivel alternating between increasingly sexual innuendo and childish sight gags with absolutely NO interactivity other than hitting the play button, you can sit for upwards of, oh, lets say ten hours of mindless drivel alternating between overtly sexual innuendo and childish sight gags with the ability to interact by way of choosing what enemy you want to button mash murder first.

Flash, like the afore mentioned Disney, is a flashy, sparkly, time consuming endeavor that has low yield reward that is linear and can only be used once.  Sprite animation can be used over an over again in all sorts of interesting ways, despite it's complete lack of sparkle thus cutting down on time to make and bumping up the time to entertain.

And another thing:  Flash, for all of it's cheap charm and sparkly wit has so irrevocably broken the back of American animation that I may have to take my eyes out and dip them in sulphuric acid if I have to see one more FRAME of Total Drama Island. 

I miss the old days…. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LEGlLzASIM8

That was one of the most random rants I ever was hit with. You didn't even click the link I provided judging from your poitless post but I'm sure you know better. You have absolutely no knowedgle about flash animation - I don't have problems with that, you sayed you are not an animator. But if you say yourself that you have no damn idea about the program - don't tell me how time consuming, hard to learn and use it is as I have mastered it in a level that allows me to create shitloads better animations than this program can ever hope to make in two days.

As I sayed - the only drawback of Flash is it's price.
Don't take offence.

And if you are ranting on Newgrounds comunity - well have a nice time. If you are judgeing the whole portal because most of those people find cockjokes funny - it is your problem, there is art out there but if you don't wan't to see it - no nead to tell you that.

I'm sorry Kusty, Flash is to me what Wolfinstine (The remake, not the original) to Ben "Yahtzee" Croshaw, I just couldn't be half assed to put my rant in to limerick form.  Flash was good in theory but fell short of all the magic and charm it promised us in the mass media sphere.  I realize it was made to cut down on the production time and cost, but with the cheap people in the animation world being what they are they took Cheap to a whole new level.  (This does not reflect my view on the writing, mind you, FOP and Chowder are hilarious, and some how they skim that hard to achieve realm of magic and charm, even if the animation sits some where between comic book still frame and game sprite.)

Also every time I try to present Animpixels to any community some one hits me with the 'flash card' as if I'm supposed to see that it's a superior program and repent for my pixelated ways.  (Not that you did, but it's happened enough to build up some real resentment)  It was late and You must have triggered my "Anti flash" button which is Large and shiny and not hard to miss.  That and I'd actually seen to much  Ben "Yahtzee" Croshaw for one evening.

The rant wasn't directed at you or your community, just at flash.  (And as you may have surmised by now I realy do hate that program on some deeply satisfying level)  Although I will say, ironically, Flash Games are some of the better games out there for todays casual gamers.  Bubble Tanks will keep me entertained for at least an hour, and any flash MMO is it at least worth a look to me.

Any way, MOVING ON, I did some research in to Animpixels last night some where between 2:30 and 3:00 and discovered you can have quite large sprites.  This thrilled me, because I can cram some actual detail in to an animation.  (Still cant change the screen size though.  Put your squints on!)

So as Anna suggested I may sit my self down for a couple of days and try to make an animation with my "Space marines". Only I will have to resprite my space marines or the whole screen will be filled with shiny pixelated armor and not much else.  That's not a problem, just time consuming.  I could probably knock one out in a couple of hours.  That's counting the time it takes me to Thumb my data back and fourth from the lap top to the computer. 

So my next question is…

What sort of cartoons would this community like to see?  Drama, comedy, maybe even a little action?  I literally have a blank slate and would love some feed back to help me pick a direction to take this. 

What I DO have so far is, and this may change depending on what you say, a bunch of different colored factions all living in the same HUGE under ground bunker all fighting with each other.  And now that I've seen that in writing it sounds a whole lot less awesome than it did at 3:30 in the morning last night.  >_<

I'd thought of that.  The scripting must be done differently, but it would be a lot faster to do the animation than the comic.

I'd thought of doing my Cyber Police in Animpixels too, But I want to do that as a comic to make sure I get all my art practice in.  XD

with eclipse you can call flash files to be played via the flash player called by scripts. Therefore you can make your tv have a scripted tile OR Scripted npc that cant move to randomly select an episode from an .INI file and play that episode :D.