Find results in...

[EE2.7] improvements

DFA

Download: http://echostorms.net/pub/EE2.7-DFA0.02.rar

based: EE2.7 patch 4

Here is my 2nd small release, includes server/client as source and .exe

i will release another update soon.

Make a backup of your EE2.7 game, and try to upgrade to this version

Ok, so I had plans to do some major improvements to EE and get it released as the next version

changes

client
- added data types to many variables
- bottom of modConstants made consistent with server's

server
- added data types to many variables
- Removed all timer controls, replaced with server loop
- re-did server player auto-save function (was a mess before)
- bottom of modConstants made consistent with client's

@DFA:

> i can sadscript but cant vb6 is almost the same as…
>
> i can write but not read
>
> also, based on the limitations sadscripting imposes on the user, its actually HARDER to use than VB6 coding

I feel like your making fun of me LOL, because i have no problems when i script but always get errors hard codeing stuff LOL

That's probably because sadscripting doesn't have an error report system.

Programming in VB6 is much, much easier than sadscripting. The only reason sadscripting was brought in was for quest systems, special items and the like. It wasn't till Sean came along with Konfuze/Elysium that it turned into what it is now.

tl;dr: Sadscript wasn't designed to have half the server's features scripted. l2program

@Robin:

> That's probably because sadscripting doesn't have an error report system.
>
> Programming in VB6 is much, much easier than sadscripting. The only reason sadscripting was brought in was for quest systems, special items and the like. It wasn't till Sean came along with Konfuze/Elysium that it turned into what it is now.
>
> tl;dr: Sadscript wasn't designed to have half the server's features scripted. l2program

I made a error report system. On reload it BattleMsg's all the admins. All the errrors. Or it just shows on my nifty screen

idk if its the darvocets or not, but i love robin

if u are stuck on sadscripting and won't try VB6, you have no idea how much a IDE with a powerful debugger is helpful.

without the debugger, i literally couldn't do shit, otherwise, i can fix pretty much any issue

@DFA:

> idk if its the darvocets or not, but i love robin
>
> if u are stuck on sadscripting and won't try VB6, you have no idea how much a IDE with a powerful debugger is helpful.
>
> without the debugger, i literally couldn't do shit, otherwise, i can fix pretty much any issue

Still, it's good with all the people on eclipse who don't have VB6\. I personally like IDE More aswell.

Good to see some one is finally updating EE2.7 !!!! i hope you can also add like an integrated Quest System not with sadscript cuz you said your going to remove it so try to add Quest Editor and some more Item and Spell Types. those would be the best updates and also don't forget to get fixes from Eclipse Stable or even fix those bugs yourself :)

Thanks !!!

Very helpful guide, DFA. I really like this and it helped me even (I can program lazily sometimes). I appreciate you helping the community this way because Eclipse already is notorious for being poorly programmed. If people learn these tips well and revise the SVN from now on using these tips, Eclipse will overall benefit greatly.

If you are looking for programming techniques and how to improve your game FPS, you should definitely check out Mirage Source 4.

I started doing updates to it again, and actually, last night me and Tigilyboo (from these forums) replaced FPS-based movement with time-based model movement.  This makes it regardless if the user's computer is faster than yours, or slower than yours, all sprites will still move at the same rate.  I've seen some really old computers try to run Silverdale and it was going at 8 FPS.  I could barely move, and everyone around me was in hyper speed compared to me.  this was definitely a problem in every mirage-based engine.

Mirage Source 4 wouldn't be a good idea to use unless you plan to dedicate 2-3 years of programming time because its just a bare bones system for an ORPG.  For the longest time, we have been developing it not for actual use, but just to demonstrate how certain tasks can be accomplished, such as byte array packets.

Before the packets were built of strings, and you may be familar with this structure
packet:

and the packet is built using string concatenation which is extremely slow in VB6

when using byte array packets, your packets may look something like this

much smaller packets, faster packet build time, and faster packet parsing.

here are some performance screenshots

Single-instance screenshot
http://echostorms.net/Mirage/MS4%20FPS.png
specs
CPU: 2.66 GHz
GPU: geforce 6600 (510 MHz GPU, 720MHz memory clock)

Tigilyboo also took a screen, but using a 64-bit processor, meaning it cannot handle 32-bit processes as well as it can handle 64-bit

CPU: 4GHz
GPU: geforce 9800??
(will edit post when i get more spec info)

4 instances running at the same time
http://echostorms.net/Mirage/quadFPS.png

no, those are not "blank" maps, but every tile is black, so it is actually blitting

I know eclipse admins don't like other engines to be "advertised" but this source code is for reference only (as I said before, the purpose of MS4 is to teach programmers some new tricks)

ok updated the first post of the thread

multi-login is allowed

Tiggilyboo's quad instance FPS test
http://echostorms.net/Mirage/quadFPS.png

if u want to see more FPS test results, just ask and can show more screens