Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

PC Problems

Harris6310

Yup, i would do what tipsta suggested. Then do a reformat.

or if you really wanted to you could reinstall windows over the current installation without a reformat. You would keep your files at the very least though your computer may be a bit slower afterwords.

@Harris:

> My computer has really badly messed up. When I turn it on it comes up with a black screen and says GRUB loading then it reboots and repeats. So all projects I am working on are currently halted.

GRUB is a Ubuntu thing. Did you try and install Ubuntu and fucked up?

you could do what i do and add another HD as master and take your master drive and make it a slave this way you don't lose any information what so ever and you have more room on your PC :D.

Just install windows back on the new master drive and there you go.

@Harris:

> Pretty much, but it and windows worked fine. It was a couple of days after when the problem started.

Don't fuck around with Linux unless you know what you're doing. Re-format your computer and stop messing around with stuff you don't understand.

How else are you going to learn?

Grub is not just limited to ubuntu… its just a boot loader. Redhat used to use grub too. I only say used to because I havnt used linux in a very long time, so I dont know if it still uses it or not.

If you install windows over itself you will lose your linux boot. Im not sure if windows vista or 7 overwrite the boot loading, but XP will. If you want your linux boot back you would have to reinstall linux after you install windows.

If it used to work but doesnt anymore its possible you have hardware failure. Ive seen Motherboards reboot at startup when they go bad. If you can try taking your hard drive out and put it in another computer and see if it gets farther.

@Robin:

> @Harris:
>
> > My computer has really badly messed up. When I turn it on it comes up with a black screen and says GRUB loading then it reboots and repeats. So all projects I am working on are currently halted.
>
> GRUB is a Ubuntu thing. Did you try and install Ubuntu and fucked up?

Correction: GRUB is a boot loader made by the _open source movement_ and therefore it is mostly used by UNIX distributions such as Linux (a lot of distributions such as Ubuntu, Redhat, Fedora, etc. use it) and Solaris, however GRUB is not only limited to the UNICES, but most people installed GRUB manually just to use it as a boot loader. On the Linux platform there were initially two or three other boot loaders as well, which are: LILO, SILO and ISOLINUX, but the first two are getting quite obsolete.

@Robin:

> @Harris:
>
> > Pretty much, but it and windows worked fine. It was a couple of days after when the problem started.
>
> Don't fuck around with Linux unless you know what you're doing. Re-format your computer and stop messing around with stuff you don't understand.

In my opinion, the only part of Linux you shouldn't fuck with: anything low-level (a.k.a. everything that can **only** be done via the shell). Hence why FreeBSD shouldn't be used by people who have no idea about how to use UNIX bash/term.

@Gwen:

> How else are you going to learn?
>
> Grub is not just limited to ubuntu… its just a boot loader. Redhat used to use grub too. I only say used to because I havnt used linux in a very long time, so I dont know if it still uses it or not.
>
> If you install windows over itself you will lose your linux boot. Im not sure if windows vista or 7 overwrite the boot loading, but XP will. If you want your linux boot back you would have to reinstall linux after you install windows.
>
> If it used to work but doesnt anymore its possible you have hardware failure. Ive seen Motherboards reboot at startup when they go bad. If you can try taking your hard drive out and put it in another computer and see if it gets farther.

RedHat still uses GRUB (or GRUB 2) if I remember well.

@Harris:

> My computer has really badly messed up. When I turn it on it comes up with a black screen and says GRUB loading then it reboots and repeats. So all projects I am working on are currently halted.

This is uncommon behaviour and is what we, low-level programmers, call a triple fault (where the processor reboots because of an invalid operation). Normally GRUB would present you an error when something goes wrong. Basically, you could try reinstalling GRUB via your CD/DVD/floppy/whatever.

[This](https://help.ubuntu.com/community/RecoveringUbuntuAfterInstallingWindows) might be of help.

Regards,
  Godlord.

@Godlord:

> @Robin:
>
> > My point is, anyone who's coming to Eclipse for IT support could only possibly be using Ubuntu out of all the Linux distros.
>
> And my point is: yea, so?
>
> Regards,
>   Godlord.

cries softly.

I'm sorry, Stephan. I'm so sorry…

rushes forward into your embrace.