Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

A build for Pokemon

Swordsower

So for as long as Eclipse has existed, there have been requests for a system that would allow a 'Pokemon' style MMO to be created.  I stated that I will create this system, and was immediately inundated by input.  Apparently, my reputation precedes me =.=

It has been made abundantly clear to me that this is something basically everyone would at least like to see for the hell of it.  I'll indulge, and create the system.  To do this, I will take a specific build that already exists (Probably 2.8) and I will completely re-construct it into a game that supports this manner of battle system.  Vague?  Good.

I'm not going to create a system specifically for Pokemon, Robin has trained me better than that.  I'll create a system that can be easily re-purposed to support any number of different types of 'Pokemon-style' games.  I need help, as my creativity is suffering, so here's a rather rough sketch of what I'm trying for right now -

-Player Character will have combat-unrelated stats; only the 'Pokemon' will have combat related stats.

-Player can select from a dynamic number of 'caught' 'pokemon' in an inventory designed to support this.

-Two players in a battle execute a script causing them to square off providing a 9x9 grid between the two players.  Control will then be shifted to the two 'pokemon' that will be inside this grid.  Combat only occurs between 'pokemon', but I will leave the possibility of an exception to this open.

-Strength, Fly, Surf, Flash, and Cut will be available as HM style ability **CATEGORIES**.  You will be able to make 5 different 'cut' abilities (For example), each designed to cut a different thing, _if you so choose._

-TMs will be available as items.

-A quick-slot panel will be used to control 'trainer' actions.

-An alternative turn-based combat system will be available, but it will be the same as I described above.  The difference will be that a 'pokemon's speed will determine a number of action points it gets in a turn, and these action points are consumed by moving and attacking.  When your action points hit 0, OR a timer expires, your turn will end.  _N_ consecutive time-out turns in a row ends the battle by default.

These are my basic ideas.  Give me some input for this, and I'll see what I can do.  In addition to these features, I will likely be radically re-structuring 2.8 to run more efficiently.  Before anyone says it, yeah, it's probable that I'll give up on 2.8 and move to EO as a base for this.

And yes, it will be a public release.

Here is my package i got for u and its great for the Pokemon game.

If another eclipce coder can put the items in items. and sprites in sprites. and tiles in tiles. it would help crypto allot seeing he is in iraq and he dont got lots of spair time.

Package includes
Items Monsters Sprites Tiles Traniers.
http://filebeam.com/02125f9949f85a0db9762dc5ad3b07eb

Bonn Apatite :P

Also with the turn based system, Will people be able to catch Pokemon, Trainer script where they walk to you then battle with quotation on their head? Wild grass script, Pokemon gym leaders giving out badges, Player needing a badge to go the the next area?, Bicycle System?, Trade System for players and NPCs, Surf System, Potions and hold items? Jumping of ledges down and diagonal instead of just down? Trainer Card, LOL long list…

It's going to be a relatively blank slate.  I will create one system that could be quickly re-purposed from fresh to make a Pokemon game, or a Yu-Gi-Oh game, or a (god forbid) Magic The Gathering type game, or whatever else you might want to make.  The intent is not to create a pokemon game specifically, more, to create a system that you could use to make one if you wanted.

@jcsnider:

> @Maiks1994:
>
> > Here is some pokemon sprites..
> >
> > >! ![](http://bildites.lv/images/hjtzt3rak5v8qft8g0.png)
>
> Off topic but where did you get these!!!
>
> I converted these sprites years ago! I don't have them any more.
>
> Nice find!  ;)

I dont remember maybe one week ago.. ^^
Whit what programm can make sprite sheets? ^^

@€rypŧø:

> It's going to be a relatively blank slate.  I will create one system that could be quickly re-purposed from fresh to make a Pokemon game, or a Yu-Gi-Oh game, or a (god forbid) Magic The Gathering type game, or whatever else you might want to make.  The intent is not to create a pokemon game specifically, more, to create a system that you could use to make one if you wanted.

Wait a second.. God forbid a magic the gathering game?
Honestly.. I think it would be SICK! to be able to collect cards in game.. and then duel people.

@IceCream:

> @€rypŧø:
>
> > It's going to be a relatively blank slate.  I will create one system that could be quickly re-purposed from fresh to make a Pokemon game, or a Yu-Gi-Oh game, or a (god forbid) Magic The Gathering type game, or whatever else you might want to make.  The intent is not to create a pokemon game specifically, more, to create a system that you could use to make one if you wanted.
>
> It should be possible, but it would be rather tricky because of the numerous phases of a turn in that turn-based system.
> Wait a second.. God forbid a magic the gathering game?
> Honestly.. I think it would be SICK! to be able to collect cards in game.. and then duel people.

Oops, I guess it didn't take my comment.  I had meant to say that it would be tricky, but possible.

Also, I have some news that nobody wants to hear.  I'm probably going to have to use (wait for it)…SQL.  It occurs to me that binary files would be a pain in the ass to maintain for the purposes of data storage, and that there will be a lot of data.  I don't want to make the engine resemble VBGore at all, I would hate that, but I may have to use MySQL in the build.

If I do this, I will include some videos explaining how to set up and use MySQL.  Text tutorials are so limited T.T

@€rypŧø:

> Oops, I guess it didn't take my comment.  I had meant to say that it would be tricky, but possible.
>
> Also, I have some news that nobody wants to hear.  I'm probably going to have to use (wait for it)…SQL.  It occurs to me that binary files would be a pain in the arse to maintain for the purposes of data storage, and that there will be a lot of data.  I don't want to make the engine resemble VBGore at all, I would hate that, but I may have to use MySQL in the build.
>
> If I do this, I will include some videos explaining how to set up and use MySQL.  Text tutorials are so limited T.T

Yay! msql!

also.. your msg went through.. it was just within my quote.

• 2 weeks later...