Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Workin on some lighting effects for my game

zade_o

![](http://img225.imageshack.us/img225/7493/earlymorningfog.gif)
this is like an early morning fog, moves a little fast but in game it would be a lottttt slower.

![](http://img200.imageshack.us/img200/171/sunlight.gif)
mid afternoon sunlight kind of thing, really can't wait to see this in game.

@Ghost:

> Image1
> this is like an early morning fog, moves a little fast but in game it would be a lottttt slower.
>
> Image2
> mid afternoon sunlight kind of thing, really can't wait to see this in game.

Wow… very good work man! Keep it coming.

Removed images from quote - Soul.

Sunlight looks good - you captured it nicely, but the fog is a bit tarded… dunno how it looks when goes slower, but that up-down movment spoils it... also it's kind of generic, I dream about game that will actualy capture the essence of fog - when you can't see shit further than your hand reaches. But yea, I get it's 2D and all.

Granted fog isn't always that thick lol. Sometimes you can see down the street, sometimes you can't.

But I will probably take that into account, I will have different levels of fog. The Up and down thing isn't how it's going to work in game, I just couldn't capture it correctly in an animation. I have 2 ideas for it

1 - Continuously scrolling the fog in one direction, but it moves 1 pixel at a time (i.e. why it's slower than in the picture i posted)

2 - Making it a sort of particle engine and each fog cloud moves in a random direction 1 pixel at a time.

These are just examples, not necessarily how it's gonna be, I've actually gotten rid of that shadow, that was just an old picture of the tileset.

It could be used for smoke too, probably would move a little faster than fog, and I'm not sure when I'll need that much smoke for my game lol. Smokey the Bear says no forest fires.

I like the fog, but not so much the sunlight. Your tiles appear to be drawn with the opposite lighting in mind, but something more about it irks me. It just lacks a certainly subtlety, I feel. The beams are very rectangular and parallel. I've seen the light do that through the trees in the woods, so I don't suppose it's too big an issue, but it just looks odd slapped onto a map like above. As you said, it's just a test. Still, if you could, I'd say to not have the individual beams be so defined. Instead of a rectangular beam that has a definite edge, I suggest a more diffused ray, so there isn't an exact boundary to the lighting.

@Ghost:

> I'm not sure when I'll need that much smoke for my game lol. Smokey the Bear says no forest fires.

Could be a cool storyline element, maps start having smoke drift through then you find out the next city has been destroyed or something.

I started writing a reply but then saw one that expressed exactly how I feel-

@Ballie:

> I like the fog, but not so much the sunlight. Your tiles appear to be drawn with the opposite lighting in mind, but something more about it irks me. It just lacks a certainly subtlety, I feel. The beams are very rectangular and parallel. I've seen the light do that through the trees in the woods, so I don't suppose it's too big an issue, but it just looks odd slapped onto a map like above. As you said, it's just a test. Still, if you could, I'd say to not have the individual beams be so defined. Instead of a rectangular beam that has a definite edge, I suggest a more diffused ray, so there isn't an exact boundary to the lighting.

@Sir:

> You can also make two layers of fog, both scrolling in the same direction, just one of them slower. I'm pretty sure it would look nicely.

Yeah this could make a neat effect.

I don't like the sunlight because it looks too… I dunno out of place or something. I think that effect would work well for a setting in Asgard or Jutenheim or some alternate plane type world like that.