Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

I can no longer play dnd

Techno 5.0

Okay at first religion wasnt so bad. I didnt believe in God so my parents try to get me to believe in him.
But one time when i was playing Aardwolf, a very fun MUD my dad asked if there was any witchcraft in that game. Well playinh a character that uses magic, i said yes.
He said he didnt like that. He didnt like that i had to think what kind of spells to use in order to bring down my opponent. He then brought up DND where he said he didnt like Dnd either and that i was not allowed to play it again because it pleases the devil.
Right now im fuckin pissed of at religion. Dnd isnt a bad thing. Its actuallyvery helpful when writng stories, making up characters, landscapes etc. It helps boost imagination also.
Have any of you been through something like this,

Oh im using my ipod keyboard so there will be some grammar errors

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Christian. Been an altar server for years. I have a medal for serving from the Bishop.
And D&D is fine.
I talked to the priest, and he even said that as long as you know it's just a game, you're fine. That's what these people don't understand- it's a game, we know it's a game, and beyond that why would it please the Devil? There have been plenty of campaigns where the point has been to feed the Devil his teeth!
Religion isn't the problem. Terror-fueled freaks are. What's spreading more irrational fear and hatred: Fiction that contains magic, or the uninformed who demonize it?
Anyway, if only for that I say we get an online chat-based D&D game going. I know I tried it before and it crumbled, but that's because my internet broke for two months.

Me and my mates hold regular D&D, Warhammer and other shit RPG sessions, we smoke water pipe, eat tons of unhealthy food. It has nothing to do with the devil, we worship devil on Saturdays, RPG sessios are usualy Sundays.

So… Does you dad understand that bring down an opponent is pretty big within religion?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Religious_war

You know.. just a few innocent people were killed within these wars.. oh wait.. no MILLIONS were brutally murdered and tortured.. my mistake..
Tell your religious dad its all a lie.. God DID NOT make a damn thing.. and doesn't exist..

The book of Genisis is a lie.. I do agree is some of Jesus' teachings and all.. being a good person doesn't mean you should to do so in order to reach a holy land.. you should be a good person because its the right thing to do.

Just tell him to stop using god as a scape goat for being an idiot.

@Thorn:

> Christian. Been an altar server for years. I have a medal for serving from the Bishop.
> And D&D is fine.
> I talked to the priest, and he even said that as long as you know it's just a game, you're fine. That's what these people don't understand- it's a game, we know it's a game, and beyond that why would it please the Devil? There have been plenty of campaigns where the point has been to feed the Devil his teeth!
> Religion isn't the problem. Terror-fueled freaks are. What's spreading more irrational fear and hatred: Fiction that contains magic, or the uninformed who demonize it?
> Anyway, if only for that I say we get an online chat-based D&D game going. I know I tried it before and it crumbled, but that's because my internet broke for two months.

Amen. In DND, you're actually FIGHTING cultists.

I'm sorry, who ARE you? ;D

Anyway, I luled so hard at this. My family is rather religious, but we care to much about logic to let it get in the way. Besides, it's because of people like your folks that we get kick ass cartoons about D&D like the one below.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qM7YhMfN0v4

- Adulese

@Anna:

> ![](http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v400/annacomnena/34/1274144625100.jpg)
> Why don't you just inform your dad that there isn't any witchcraft because it's a big make-believe game? Does he object to Harry Potter?

My mom hates Harry Potter for that very reason. No joke. She's waaaay overprotective. No Facebook or cell phone either. 0_o

WHO AM I? lol

-JS1

@[Cake:

> antho3000 link=topic=60964.msg643425#msg643425 date=1275366333]
> agh I hate all religious activities and I dont beleave that theres a guy whit a white rob creating humans so I dont think god is real but my parents think that im in the religius thing. I want to tell them but im not sure how they will react.

Well, thanks for the heads up that you couldn't tell the difference between religion and… well, I can't think of something far enough removed. You clearly have literally zero idea what any of it is about, and so I'm just going to ignore you said anything about that.
Aaaand... BLANKED.

What do you mean, comment by a guy with a pentagram avatar? Never saw one!

About hating "All religious activities" no less. Considered pointing that out, but… well, I guess it just hurt too much to think about. I'd comment more on it, but I'd start to sound like Franziska von Karma from Phoenix Wright, saying things about foolish fools doing foolish things foolishly.

I'm not a very religious person. I stopped going to church the first opportunity I was given to do so. I believe that ethics and morality should be taught, but not from finite and biased places. Churches can be the worst place to learn good ethics.

"Religion isn't the problem. Terror-fueled freaks are. What's spreading more irrational fear and hatred: Fiction that contains magic, or the uninformed who demonize it?"

I'm in complete agreement. I grew up on fantasy, magic, pokemon, and all kinds of things that the typical religious nazi's demonize. Ironically I've grown up to be a reasonable person with steady ethics and moral values, none of which were obtained by idiotic ceremonies held once or twice a week. As I've learned from personal experience a vivid imagination as a child can lead to great things as an adult.

So lets all go pay Mr. Gigax. ^_^

The way I see it, the holy books of any major religion, be it the Bible or the Koran, are the collections of several thousand years of human knowledge. Even if you don't agree with the specific tenets, the core beliefs are usually the same: Don't kill, don't steal, basically don't be a horrible person.
It's my belief that everyone should have some religious knowledge, even if they are atheist. Whether you go to church or not, it gives a good moral groundwork.
As long as you're not in deep in the American South, that is. Creationism = Bad.

@Robin:

> Religious Americans are some of the most closed minded people I've ever met.

Without our religion our country wouldn't exist today. It's one of the things that gives us our honor and judgment. Little by little our country has been taking away our religious practices. Pretty soon there won't be any of our religion left. Many lives were lost and you can think what you want, but in fact we're one of the greatest countries in history.

I'm an American and I wouldn't rather be in any other country in the world.

@Ninja-Tech Who cares if they take away a game you play, you should open your eyes and believe in something and even if you think God is a lie like the person above me said, it still has many truths to it.

@Helladen:

> @Robin:
>
> > Religious Americans are some of the most closed minded people I've ever met.
>
> Without our religion our country wouldn't exist today. **Yeah I think you forget several other factors** It's one of the things that gives us our honor and judgment. **90% of we wonderful Americans are idiots** Little by little our country has been taking away our religious practices.**Duh logic** Pretty soon there won't be any of our religion left. Many lives were lost and you can think what you want, but in fact we're one of the greatest countries in history. **Wow I'm an American, and I do have pride for my country; howerver, even I know that's a loaded and biased statement**
>
> I'm an american and I wouldn't rather be in any other country in the world.
>
> Who cares if they take away a game you play, you should open your eyes and believe in something. **I didn't speak when they took their businesses, I didn't speak with they came for the jews, but when they came for me there was no one to speak**

In history…?
Oh yeah. American. And clearly religious. First up, Robin is right on this. I'm guessing he meant the kind so fervent that they think Tibetan prayer flags call forth the devil, and I've seen plenty of those.
Also, I'm curious. How much of the history of other countries do you know? If you look through them, America is actually markedly unimpressive. Their technological advances pale in comparison to the degree that Greece and Rome forged new technologies, they've existed for a fraction of a time the Chinese empire has, and the things they build will be outlived by the things the Egyptians made.

Name something great the States has done in a History of the World scale. It's not as impressive as you'd think.

@Helladen:

> @Robin:
>
> > Religious Americans are some of the most closed minded people I've ever met.
>
> Without our religion our country wouldn't exist today. It's one of the things that gives us our honor and judgment. Little by little our country has been taking away our religious practices. Pretty soon there won't be any of our religion left. Many lives were lost and you can think what you want, but in fact we're one of the greatest countries in history.
>
> I'm an American and I wouldn't rather be in any other country in the world.
>
> @Ninja-Tech Who cares if they take away a game you play, you should open your eyes and believe in something and even if you think God is a lie like the person above me said, it still has many truths to it.

What makes you one of the greatest countries in history? I never knew arming terrorists made you a great country (Got nothing against Americans, most of are cool, just some thing they are the fucking best)

I love how all those threads with word "religion" in it turn into a contest of what is better, atheism, agnosticism or whatever, then it's time to remind how evil and cruel the church was during the crusades - the usual point of any pseudo discussion on this toppic. The new element here however is a religious freek stoping by to tell people how they should open their eyes to the truth - yeah, that's a new thing to me, I was sure that you guys consider the internet to Satan's tool, thus it's hard to meet you here. Anyways, I'm pretty sure that soon we'll reach the point where someone says that curch is a brain washing institution. Then you'll throw some more historical facts that only show how you cannot separate god from the church. There's also a chance that thanks to Helladen it will drift in the direction of europe vs. america thread…

...eighter way, let's continue to submerge in the pond of patheticness this thread has became!

As for the orginal problem, screw it Ninja, play Dn'D at your friends place, unless you live in a small vilage where all the parents sudenly opened their eyes and saw truth about DnD being the devil's work. Or convince them that there's nothing wrong in it, that your characters actualy commit heroical deeds, saves countries, figh evil and shit (lol, yeah right, chaotical-evil necromancers do that often). I knew a priest who played Dungeons.

Creating a topic about religion or Europe/America on any internet forum is going to start a debate.

Still, I think Azure & Thorn have pretty much summed up exactly what I wanted to say.

@Helladen: I suggest you stop believing your history lessons and go travel or something. Believe me, there are better places to be than in America. Not Britain though. We'd rape you if you came over here.