Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

A notice for the eclipse community

deathtaker26

Hello everyone, I am Crest, you may know be by the commonly referanced name "Toothpaste"

Today I would like to discuss a rather serious topic, and that is the potential and direction of our beloved community, eclipse.

Since 2009 (really earlier) I have watched this community develop itself as well as inspire young individuals into the world of programming, graphic design, and game development. That being said I am proud to say that I am glad I took place in this community. I know I'm not a mod or developer or anything but as eclipse inspired me to become the developer I am today, I too want to inspiring new up and coming young developers to follow in the same steps I did. In a community filled with laughs, rages, and long nights on my parent's laptop just trying to figure out how the hell "Sad script" even functioned…

With all that said and stated out there, my concern is that this community is slowly decreasing in population, it's  nothing dramatic, but I am hoping to help recover the audience we eclipsians once had. So, I'm going to start taking it upon myself to start some community wide events which will include game nights, some review sections and what not, maybe even a weekly updated news letter that talks about all the interesting projects here on the eclipse community. I ask that you all please help invite others to join the eclipse community.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree with Crest.

I would stay up for days straight going through lines of code until it gave me euphoria, after that, programming pretty much became a drug to me.

After three months of reading lines of code, a made my own small modifications, and then went higher and higher.

Right now I am learning C++ and I plan to get an MCP and become a computer programmer.

A really nice idea! i am new here so i don't actually know what the community looked like back then but it  sounds like it was a great community.

And i am ready to start some events with the community too!

Can't wait to recover the old community that i never saw :3

I was witness. That was back when i was still in middle school here in the states. So obviously i was kinda distant from it. And the forums are still a great place for all, but its not what it once was. I'm glad to see someone trying to get it back to when it was the perfect forums.

What the community needs is a new modern engine to be based on. Game development is fun, and it shouldn't be as hard as it is with Eclipse to get into.

I'm still betting my money that whoever manages to build the next big thing after Mirage, will bring about another era of aspiring developers as Mirage has for us.

> What the community needs is a new modern engine to be based on. Game development is fun, and it shouldn't be as hard as it is with Eclipse to get into.
>
> I'm still betting my money that whoever manages to build the next big thing after Mirage, will bring about another era of aspiring developers as Mirage has for us.

I agree there Rory, Unfortunately I don't think even my engine will get far, it's not just the engine people will need, it's content as well. If we can make a solid team of developers to help eachother out we could have a new "somewhat" stable engine finished  by the end of the month. If not sooner, However my engine has little content and even when it's done it's a sidescroll engine. So… I doubt mine will get very big

I am not sure if I agree about the activity declining but I am not active enough to judge that. But it is refreshing to see a post like this that tries to help the situation rather then just complain about it. So kudoos.

> What the community needs is a new modern engine to be based on. Game development is fun, and it shouldn't be as hard as it is with Eclipse to get into.
>
> I'm still betting my money that whoever manages to build the next big thing after Mirage, will bring about another era of aspiring developers as Mirage has for us.

It's up to me. :)

> Who are you again?

Helladen. I work on Nin Online with Rory using the alias Seth. My goal has been for a long time to make a new engine to replace Eclipse. I don't like the new management here, and am all for open-source engines that survive using donations and third party developer contributions such as plugins for an engine that generate revenue.

> Helladen. I work on Nin Online with Rory using the alias Seth. My goal has been for a long time to make a new engine to replace Eclipse. I don't like the new management here, and am all for open-source engines that survive using donations and third party developer contributions such as plugins for an engine that generate revenue.

For every time we've heard that idea…

> Not that any lines have been crossed yet, but I'd like to avoid a flame war. Please keep things civil.

Will do Matt.

> Cause programmers don't work together?

Programmers don't NEED to work together to make a game engine, I thought it was just very egocentric thing to say that it's "up to you"  to make an engine, as if you're the only one who can. I can almost garuntee that upon making an engine, you will probably give up, and it's not because it's you, it's because building a game engine isn't as easy as you think, it's a difficult task, it has long hours, very little motivation, and it's very easy to procrastinate. I hardly have faith in myself to finish Juiced. But, if you'd like to try and prove me wrong, be my guest, I would like to see other great engines on here as much as you do.

> Programmers don't NEED to work together to make a game engine, I thought it was just very egocentric thing to say that it's "up to you"  to make an engine, as if you're the only one who can. I can almost garuntee that upon making an engine, you will probably give up, and it's not because it's you, it's because building a game engine isn't as easy as you think, it's a difficult task, it has long hours, very little motivation, and it's very easy to procrastinate. I hardly have faith in myself to finish Juiced. But, if you'd like to try and prove me wrong, be my guest, I would like to see other great engines on here as much as you do.

I am great at finishing what I start, so I don't doubt my abilities in motivation. My only difficulty would being able to program it by myself.

Solo programming is much easier than team programming. I mean, program a base, get something functional whether it's buggy or not, and release an opensource bug fix release to have people post bugs and help fix them, that's the plan for juiced when i get it up and running.