Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

[EO] Paperdoll Drawing Order Fixed

Tdogthedog

Robin has a point though… You have to do a full fix not a half-ass fix. Half-ass fixing is worse than not fixing it at all.

The order robin has is the order they show up in the character sheet if you didn't notice? The server side wasn't fixed, same for the inventory drawing, and many other things.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@Helladen:

> Robin has a point though… You have to do a full fix not a half-ass fix. Half-ass fixing is worse than not fixing it at all.
>
> The order robin has is the order they show up in the character sheet if you didn't notice? The server side wasn't fixed, same for the inventory drawing, and many other things.

Yea, I understand that, and completely agree, but as I browse these forums all I see if Robin putting people's ideas down, like he's top dog or something… This isn't meant to be me being rude towards Robin, he does produce some nice work, I'm just stating something that bugs me.

@Im_Mad_1337:

> @Helladen:
>
> > Robin has a point though… You have to do a full fix not a half-ass fix. Half-ass fixing is worse than not fixing it at all.
> >
> > The order robin has is the order they show up in the character sheet if you didn't notice? The server side wasn't fixed, same for the inventory drawing, and many other things.
>
> Yea, I understand that, and completely agree, but as I browse these forums all I see if Robin putting people's ideas down, like he's top dog or something… This isn't meant to be me being rude towards Robin, he does produce some nice work, I'm just stating something that bugs me.

He might be a tad mean at times but he is correct. And we all love him for his.. harsh nature? ;D

@Im_Mad_1337:

> Yea, I understand that, and completely agree, but as I browse these forums all I see if Robin putting people's ideas down, like he's top dog or something… This isn't meant to be me being rude towards Robin, he does produce some nice work, I'm just stating something that bugs me.

Eh, there's some huge cultural differences around here that people just aren't aware of. I live in Bradford in the North of England. I grew up on a council estate and went to a school where kids were riding motorcycles around the bloody hallways.

We don't sit around politely telling someone they're doing something wrong, I fucking tell 'em to their face. I don't sugar coat my words, but I'm always 100% honest about everything I say. I can't stand it when people just say what they think the other person wants to hear.

I've used Mirage for over half a decade now. I know it like the back of my hand. I've seen thousands of games fail because of the same problems, so if I see a game with that same problem, I'm going to tell them what's what.

I'm sorry if you don't like my personality, but to be honest I don't really care.

@Robin:

> Eh, there's some huge cultural differences around here that people just aren't aware of. I live in Bradford in the North of England. I grew up on a council estate and went to a school where kids were riding motorcycles around the bloody hallways.
>
> We don't sit around politely telling someone they're doing something wrong, I fucking tell 'em to their face. I don't sugar coat my words, but I'm always 100% honest about everything I say. I can't stand it when people just say what they think the other person wants to hear.
>
> I've used Mirage for over half a decade now. I know it like the back of my hand. I've seen thousands of games fail because of the same problems, so if I see a game with that same problem, I'm going to tell them what's what.
>
> I'm sorry if you don't like my personality, but to be honest I don't really care.

Actually, I appreciate the response explaining your back ground and why you are, the way you are. Everybody has their reasoning and personalities.

The problem is that too often we are all expected to sugarcoat things, and play nice, but then people react in a negative way, or write it off as nonsense because we're being an ass. (I'm referring to my redundancy comment.) As I said before, from a non programmer's prospective Robin's point is more than valid. If the code isn't properly implemented in the fix and causes issues else where it's not a fix.

I am a nice person once you get to know me. If some kid comes in here breaking shit, not wanting to learn and just generally wanting everything done for him, I'm gonna tell him to bugger off.

If someone comes in here asking the right questions wanting to improve themselves then I'm gonna go out of my way to mentor them.

The reason I have such a bad image here is because most of the people who sit around gossiping and the ones who want everything done for them.

@Im_Mad_1337:

> I don't think his intention was to break the source, I think he just though he was helping out, and for beginners like me, who have no idea whats going on, it would have helped (at least with my knowledge of the program)

Actually it would've just broken most of your game's equipment system. ;D

Of course not, your competent at what you do, YamYam. =) (Robin beat me too it.)

It reminds me of your old avatar, Robin.

Im_Mad_1337, even still the way he has reacted says more against him, and his skill, then he really needed. (fubar'd those commas there…)

@YamYam:

> @Im_Mad_1337:
>
> > I don't think his intention was to break the source, I think he just though he was helping out, and for beginners like me, who have no idea whats going on, it would have helped (at least with my knowledge of the program)
>
> Actually it would've just broken most of your game's equipment system. ;D

lol.

@Im_Mad_1337:

> Yea, I realize that now, but before anybody told me, I wouldn't have known.

_Exactly._ This isn't the first time TDog has tried to help people only to destroy their bloody data files. He used to be a regular in the source questions board. I had to go around telling people to undo his 'fixes' as they did so much damage.

Good intentions are all very good, but they don't help people.

I agree with Robin here. The reason for all these bugs in the Eclipse engine is not only due to the lack of proper design, but also due to the lack of "clever" people. Many developers have thought they can quickly fix a bug, without even looking into it properly and whilst they've committed their code, suddenly five new bugs show up and they actually wonder why these bugs appeared.

If you post a solution to a bug or a flaw, then please post a solution that fits in the puzzle, not one where you have to cut some pieces since the others won't fit properly. And getting mad at someone won't get you anywhere, especially if he's trying to make you aware of the fact that your fix won't work properly without breaking anything.

@Im_Mad_1337:

> I don't think his intention was to break the source, I think he just though he was helping out, and for beginners like me, who have no idea whats going on, it would have helped (at least with my knowledge of the program)

Or would it really have helped you? I don't feel like fixing a problem and causing another one really helps anybody and people who don't know how to programme themselves, can't solve the new issue, so basically you're either stuck with the same amount of bugs or even more bugs.

Regards,
  Stephan.

> Of course not, your competent at what you do, YamYam. =) (Robin beat me too it.)

Trust me I make plenty of screwups.. The first version of a custom engine I made from EE1.0 was.. dreadfull, my old mail system in it uses a shitload of bandwidth and is hacked through.. BUT it learnt me the basics of such a system.. And I patched it up more and more ever since. Same goes for my old faction PvP mechanics, Damage Calculation, Guild Systems, Tabbed chat and whatnot.. Everything I ever made was first done in a mock-up envirement and then re-done properly. This not only lets me test whether it messes things up or not, it'll allow me to use different methods to implent a certain feature as well. :cheesy:

Yeah, going as far back in the source as possible is never a good idea. Kind of like if you need a new roof, you wouldn't start pulling bricks from the foundation. The equipment enumeration handles a lot more than just paperdoll. To actually change the paperdoll blitting order, you'll have to edit the paperdolling subs.

@Stephan:

> Or would it really have helped you? I don't feel like fixing a problem and causing another one really helps anybody and people who don't know how to programme themselves, can't solve the new issue, so basically you're either stuck with the same amount of bugs or even more bugs.
>
> Regards,
>   Stephan.

I didn't mean to say it would help me, I simply meant, that at the best of my knowledge at the time, I would have thought it was helping me.

@YamYam:

> > Of course not, your competent at what you do, YamYam. =) (Robin beat me too it.)
>
> Trust me I make plenty of screwups.. The first version of a custom engine I made from EE1.0 was.. dreadfull, my old mail system in it uses a shitload of bandwidth and is hacked through.. BUT it learnt me the basics of such a system.. And I patched it up more and more ever since. Same goes for my old faction PvP mechanics, Damage Calculation, Guild Systems, Tabbed chat and whatnot.. Everything I ever made was first done in a mock-up envirement and then re-done properly. This not only lets me test whether it messes things up or not, it'll allow me to use different methods to implent a certain feature as well. :cheesy:

You're right YamYam but you wouldn't make a fix that caused more problems than it fixed, and if you did, you'd retract it and fix it again. Tdog has a history of making "fixes" that create huge amounts of damage. Giving something like that to a beginning scripter or beginner code editer could be devastating to their learning proccess. And could create problems for their future edits since many errors may not even come up till three or four or more edits later. In short, Tdog's work is dangerous.

I don't blame TDog. I blame the people who worked on Eclipse in the past.

They're the ones who set such a terrible standard. A lot of people using Eclipse are new to computers and game development. Their rolemodels are the ones working on the engines.

That's one of the main reasons I released EO. I wanted to set a new standard. I think I pulled it off pretty well.

Robin will you just delete this post? And i also 1 of the reasons why things were also getting messed up were because if the item type constants the weren't in the same order. Other then that it will still screw up the account files because of changing the item order and all that stuff. But looking through your source Robin the only real problem i see is you have to remake the accounts. All your invotory and equipment codes all figure out the .type of the item and then goes on using the number from enum and such so no matter it will still look for that number.

Example1:

(Goes by the order in your modEnumerations (client side))
```
    ' check for paperdolling
    For i = 1 To Equipment.Equipment_Count - 1
        If GetPlayerEquipment(Index, i) > 0 Then
            If Item(GetPlayerEquipment(Index, i)).Paperdoll > 0 Then
                Call BltPaperdoll(X, Y, Item(GetPlayerEquipment(Index, i)).Paperdoll, anim, spriteleft)
            End If
        End If
    Next
```

Example 2:

(Goes by .type in modGameLogic (Client Side))

```
        ' If currency, exit out before all the other shit
        If Item(itemnum).Type = ITEM_TYPE_CURRENCY Or Item(itemnum).Type = ITEM_TYPE_NONE Then  '<< goes by .type
            ' Clear other labels
            .lblItemDescLevel.Caption = "N/A"
            .lblItemDescSpeed.Caption = "N/A"
            For i = 1 To Stats.stat_count - 1
                .lblItemDescStat(i - 1).Caption = "N/A"
            Next
            Exit Sub
        End If
```

Example 3:

(Checks player's equiped  in the modPlayer (server side)

```
Sub CheckEquippedItems(ByVal Index As Long)
    Dim Slot As Long
    Dim ItemNum As Long
    Dim i As Long

' We want to check incase an admin takes away an object but they had it equipped
    For i = 1 To Equipment.Equipment_Count - 1
        ItemNum = GetPlayerEquipment(Index, i)

If ItemNum > 0 Then

Select Case i
                Case Equipment.Weapon

If Item(ItemNum).Type <> ITEM_TYPE_WEAPON Then SetPlayerEquipment Index, 0, i
                Case Equipment.Armor

If Item(ItemNum).Type <> ITEM_TYPE_ARMOR Then SetPlayerEquipment Index, 0, i
                Case Equipment.Helmet

If Item(ItemNum).Type <> ITEM_TYPE_HELMET Then SetPlayerEquipment Index, 0, i
                Case Equipment.Shield

If Item(ItemNum).Type <> ITEM_TYPE_SHIELD Then SetPlayerEquipment Index, 0, i
            End Select

Else
            SetPlayerEquipment Index, 0, i
        End If

Next

End Sub
```
So the only thing thats wrong is that i didn't change the numbers of the constants to match and such. But anyways i'll do you guys a favor and not post anymore fixes and i'll just pm Robin first.