Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

EO new combat system

Robin

Right, here's an overview of the combat system I've been developing. I'll be making it so each attribute effects other things as well. I still need to decide how I want them to effect spell effectiveness and spell resistance.

I'll also be changing which attributes contribute to different things depending on which class your character is, but this is something personal to my own game.

**Attributes:**
_Strength:_
Adds to your max melee hit at [STR / 2]
Adds to your base melee damage reduction from a successful block at [STR / 2]
Adds to your base parry rate at [STR * 0.25]

_Endurance:_
Adds to your max health at [END * 5]

_Intelligence:_
Adds to your max mana at [INT * 10]

_Agility:_
Adds to your base armour rating at [AGI * 2]
Adds to your base dodge rate at [AGI / 83.3]
Adds to your base crit rate at [AGI / 52.08]

_Willpower:_
Adds to your health regen rate at [(WILL * 0.8) + 6]
Adds to your mana regen rate at [(WILL / 4) + 12.5]

Hmm You dropped Vitality?
I liked the 6 you already have.
I brok them up kind of like this(X is not a constant… just didnt want to find all my fomulae)

External Stats.
Strength
-Damage base(STR/X)
-Defense base(STR/X)
-HP bonus
Endurance
-Walking Speed Modifier(INT/X)
-SP bonus
Intelligence
-Casting Requirement(INT/X)
-MP Bonus
Internal Stats.
Vitality
-Max HP(VIT*X)
-HP Regen Base(VIT/X)
-Resist Damage
Spirit
-Max SP
-SP Regen Base
-SP removal from items((total item def-STR)/SPI)[or something….]
Willpower
-MP Max
-MP Regen
-Ability to resist a spell.

Just off the top of my head.
It will be nice to see how yours all pans out.

@GuzmanM:

> Pretty nice Robin, but, I don't see the point of endurance just adding health. It shouldn't be called emdurance then.

Your endurance is how much you can withstand something. If you hold up well in a fight, you've got good endurance.

In a game, holding up for a long time in a fight means high health points, which translates to having good endurance.

A successful dodge or parry will mean you completely avoid damage from the blow.

A successful block will mean you reduce the damage by a certain amount, usually based on shield quality.

Strength doesn't effect damage much at all. It's just a small increase you'd notice over time. The main point of strength is a requirement for using weaponry. The actual equipment will do most of the damage.

Armour rating is the maximum amount of damage you can reduce from the enemy's attack. You'll randomly subtract anything between [Max armour rating] and [Max armour rating - 20%].

For your damage, you can hit anywhere between [Max melee damage] and [Max melee damage - 20%].

A successful critical hit will multiply the final damage value (after calculating armour reduction etc.) by 1.5.

yes it was.
In reference to defense:
Wether or not armor has a chance of being rendered unusable and if damage blocked effects item durability. I didn't feel like going into why I was asking if the answer was no. I have already learned not to try and sway Robin's design plans unless I am going to have put way too much thought into it.

I mean unarmed fighting with regards to fighing unarmed with someone else unarmed. It doesn't seem like it will be useful at all, but if you see no need for that in game don't worry about it. You have to specialize for your game.

@GuzmanM:

> <–-agrees

Stop spamming. :icon_nif:

@Anna:

> I mean unarmed fighting with regards to fighing unarmed with someone else unarmed. It doesn't seem like it will be useful at all, but if you see no need for that in game don't worry about it. You have to specialize for your game.

If both players were fighting unarmed, neither of them would do much damage to each other. xD

@Robin:

> @Anna:
>
> > About the damage with weapons, I like that, but what about unarmed fighting?
>
> Who the hell fights someone in a full set of plate armour with their fists? o.O

She would:
![](http://otterwolf.files.wordpress.com/2008/04/tifa.jpg?w=144&h=304)

But i would say something more like agility increases movement speed?

fine.

Him:

>! ![](http://www.deviantart.com/download/146129604/Final_Fantasy_Black_Belt_Lego_by_drsparc.jpg)

Damage is based on how many times he attacks and str. ( I think)

O.o how about agility makes it where you have a chance to attack 2 times in a row.

Well for the people who are complaining, they can just edit the algorithm to fit their needs, correct? I like the realism within this.

And towards Anna, I suppose someone who is restarting or lost all of their equipment might be fighting with their fists, so I do agree, that's something to think about.

@pigboss:

> Im just wandering, if its possible to allow members to make skills that buff other players. Like add other ppl's str for a few seconds or something.
> a buff skill is pretty needed in a online game.

Already planned. That's to do with the spell system though, which is fairly disconnected from the basic combat system.