Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Idea for Custom graphics (Now with Example)

Draken

hey all, gnomes be with you.

well anyways I have been looking for a new person to help with some sprites and havent found anyone. So I was sitting there thinking how can I get some monster sprites that are custom and will look good?

then I came up with this idea. Since my Sister in law draws really good, Im going to print out 12 sqaures on a sheet of paper, get her to draw the monsters in the sqaures with animations. Then Scan the paper open in Paint, Trace over Pencil lines with pixel art add some shading and color to it.

Do you think this will work?

I really dont see why it wont. Might even get her to redo my sprites since everyone always say they look kinda like lego people or gnomes. But that will mean I need to redo the weapon Paperdolls and redo all armor.

@[GrimTechâ„¢:

> Skillzalot link=topic=62639.msg664846#msg664846 date=1279323280]
> Robin it could work. All he has to do is scan the image and trace it with a program then shade it and everything.

Try it and tell me how far you get. Sure, you can use it as a general anatomical guideline, but _tracing it_? No. Pixel art has a completely different set of rules than hand drawings when it comes to line art.

I'm with Robin on this one, making art using a tablet/paper is doable, primary way of making art, but with sprites you encounter size problems (If you have small sprites), and making it look good would almost require you to use it as a reference instead of as a trace.

@Xeross:

> I'm with Robin on this one, making art using a tablet/paper is doable, primary way of making art, but with sprites you encounter size problems (If you have small sprites), and making it look good would almost require you to use it as a reference instead of as a trace.

All you have to do is resize the drawing to a certain size using the grid in photoshop and trace over it with the pencil tool. It's definitely possible.

@Anna:

> @Devo:
>
> > It worked in 1982 on my TRS-80 microcomputer, make the grid in 1/2cm blocks so she doesnt have to stand in the next room far away to see what the sprite looks like.
>
> Wow that's old school! XD
>
> Where've you been lately, gramps? ;)

I've been busy checking my hair strands individually for any signs of Grey, takes time :)

she is still working on some so i did a small odd crab creature. only 1 view and just did it to see how it would turn out.

![](http://www.freemmorpgmaker.com/files/imagehost/pics/e2d1bf34b6438869c3cd5bb97c1cd586.PNG)

doesnt look that bad, i didnt go into detail on the coloring of it just a quick test.

@Zonova:

> Wait, why would you need to trace over it with Photoshop? just scan it, and make it 64x64 right?

Well it wouldn't work out too well. There will be a lot of transparency issues to deal with, and the game will look really weird o,O. That crab is drawn weird.