Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

First programming language and 3d game development

Jumbofile

What language do you guys think would be a good language to learn for my first language and why? I was thinking of C# because of unity, c++ for CryENGINE SDK, or Java because of jmonkey. What are the negatives and positive to these languages and whats your opinion on learning and using these languages with the engines listed above? Its not really my first language because I know HTML and enough vb6 to use eclipse but I want to learn a new language and dont know where to start. Please dont say google it because I would like to know your opinions and be able to ask questions if needed.

C#. You'll never need anything more than Unity, you will never have a need to go any closer to the metal to support learning C/C++ (unless you want to program for a living), and C# isn't going anywhere for a very long time.

Ps. Don't concern yourself with cross platform deployment; Unity takes care of all that. Even if you use XNA you're still looking at 85-90% of the desktop market share. :)

> C#. You'll never need anything more than Unity, you will never have a need to go any closer to the metal to support learning C/C++ (unless you want to program for a living), and C# isn't going anywhere for a very long time.
>
> Ps. Don't concern yourself with cross platform deployment; Unity takes care of all that. Even if you use XNA you're still looking at 85-90% of the desktop market share. :)

Seconded. Start picking away at C#. As Bud said, it's not going anywhere for a very long time, and it's all you'll need once you throw in a good engine like Unity or SDK like Marmalade. C++ is great as well, but you'll pick up on C++ a lot easier once you've picked away at C#. My two copper anyways!

Visual C# 2012 Step by Step by John Sharp. Its an eBook. Its what I used to learn; between that book and pluralsight I was at around intermediate in approximately a month. A year later in dabbling in expert level concepts/paradigms. Well, 2 years later as of now, but a year ago I was getting on up there.

> Learn the basics, I find that WinForm app development is good for learning how C# works at its core. Make something simple like a tabbed web browser (so lame I know but it works). Then pick up on some XNA, there are PLENTY of tutorials online… I mean **PLENTY**.

Dont use XNA. Its a poorly made WRAPPER for Direct X, Microsoft is the makers and dropped it because THEY felt it was garbage and a waist of time… so what does that tell you?

> Dont use XNA. Its a poorly made WRAPPER for Direct X, Microsoft is the makers and dropped it because THEY felt it was garbage and a waist of time… so what does that tell you?

And do not listen to any of that. :) Microsoft is partnered with Unity3D (the company) now for Xbox one development. C#/XNA/Unity. Can't go wrong.

Learn D

[http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/D_(programming_language)](http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/D_(programming_language))

Then you will be ahead of the curve for when D++ comes out, and super ready for D#.

> C#. You'll never need anything more than Unity, you will never have a need to go any closer to the metal to support learning C/C++ (unless you want to program for a living), and C# isn't going anywhere for a very long time.
>
> Ps. Don't concern yourself with cross platform deployment; Unity takes care of all that. Even if you use XNA you're still looking at 85-90% of the desktop market share.  :)

Some programmers here are actually making a living of C# its what the tools are made in if thats your thing.

> Dont use XNA. Its a poorly made WRAPPER for Direct X, Microsoft is the makers and dropped it because THEY felt it was garbage and a waist of time… so what does that tell you?

They dropped it because it would have been too much to convert to later versions of DirectX. They realized that some things just need to be done in C++, which is why most things you see in regards to DX11 tuts are in managed C++ (CLI).

XNA is NOT poorly made. It has a nice math library in which all of its functionality makes sense, provides low level access to shader integration and has a very organized structure for game states. The only bad thing about XNA is its content management (admittedly, it's terrible).

And also, if XNA was so bad and poorly made, why is MonoGame so damn popular? It is literally a multi-platform re-write for XNA.

> They dropped it because it would have been too much to convert to later versions of DirectX. They realized that some things just need to be done in C++, which is why most things you see in regards to DX11 tuts are in managed C++ (CLI).
>
>  
>
> XNA is NOT poorly made. It has a nice math library in which all of its functionality makes sense, provides low level access to shader integration and has a very organized structure for game states. The only bad thing about XNA is its content management (admittedly, it's terrible).
>
>  
>
> And also, if XNA was so bad and poorly made, why is MonoGame so damn popular? It is literally a multi-platform re-write for XNA.

I adore XNA's content pipeline. In my opinion its one of the premier highlights of XNA; default and custom processors, out of the cryptography, memory management, etc.

MG's content pipeline pales in comparison (its just about non existent). Another nice fact: Unity's backend is Mono, therefore its helper libraries (like MathHelper) are direct "rewrites" or implementations of XNA. :)