Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Server capacity

whitespirits

It does vary between engines, Each engine was made partially different so some wouldn't be able to handle much where others would be able to handle quite a bit. I remember there being some kind of Player count calculation you can use, but i can't remember where it was on here. Try and look around for it.

> Usually around 20 at max

Again, depends on the engine. Basic EO i know can handle more than 20 purely from experience.

> I checked, and the array of the players is about 1kb, so ram is not a problem with max connections.But the indexing of the sockets uses the integer value, which has the max value of 32767\. The major restriction is bandwidth, Eclipse uses about 4kbps per player. (statistic from EE 2.5) Test your upload speed and divide by 4 to get the recommended maximum players.

I do not know how many kbps is used, but there is the formula for an older engine. If someone can post how to find the kbps used by each player it would be great because I would love to know too.

> I do not know how many kbps is used, but there is the formula for an older engine. If someone can post how to find the kbps used by each player it would be great because I would love to know too.

The kbps varies from player to player and from time to time. For example during login a large number of game data is sent to the player. (Maps, items, resources, quests etc) During map transfer map data is also sent out. But at other times, like when a player is grinding, the data transfer is low with only small amounts of data being transferred per second.

> Eclipse Origins can get 50-70 players without lag. This includes Eclipse Worlds. Eclipse Worlds may get a little more due to the optimization of packets.

Might be a stupid question, as I'm not too experienced with all this, but wouldn't your internet speed factor in as well?

> Matt, on 15 Nov 2014 - 10:11 PM, said:
> Might be a stupid question, as I'm not too experienced with all this, but wouldn't your internet speed factor in as well?

The Internet speed does affect it, but not what will keep it bottlenecked. The server is not that well optimized and is not multi-threaded. You typically break a server up into parts like a server that only processes chat/etc.

This server can be made to run 1000s of players, it is what we are planning on doing for Nin Online until we find the funds to recode it from scratch using a better language. We just are not convinced that .NET or C# will do the trick. It's an upgrade, but the upgrade is not that good and coding in C/C++ is also not very good for us for being low budget.