Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

WILL YOU MAEK GAME WITH ME?

Dark Crusade

You all should know me. I'm going to brief and probably disregard the rules for this board. While I wait for the flag to be raised to start mapping on Elandor Chronicles, I'm keen to potentially start a small multi-player or single-player game depending on the support I receive. My main focus here is for it to be fun to both work on, and fun to play.

I'll be the leader dude on the project. Pretty confident I'll be able to pitch in to all aspects of the game, such as all art, music, and game design. For you who know me, you should agree that I am good at what I do, and should make a good team-player. I will not yell at you, or threaten to kill you too much during the course of our time together working on this project. I have plans for a 8-bit plot-based post apocalyptic modern survival, but I am more then happy to have others offer their ideas.

I'm not sure what else to really say. If your interested, let me know. Show some previous work, whatevers. If I get some interest, I'll talk to you all and we can collaborate a project idea we all agree on. (:

@Lightning:

> Any start points on which programming language you are going to use?  ;)

Completely depends on whether I assemble any sort of team. For example, if I work on an online game with no additional programmers, I'll probably just use Origins. I have already decided what to use if I make a single-player game. Disclosed information however.

If anyone is interested in working on a small fun game to work on, let me know and tell me what you'd be interested in doing on it. (:

@unknown:

> I'm interested (programmer).. I'm always looking to make cool things, and I think you probably have some great ideas.. I don't want to use EO but whatever, I just want to make something awesome.

Interesting. I'm familiar with your work. I'm not quite aware of your skill-level though. Fill me in, I'm really curious what you can do. (:

As forementioned, I'm keen to work on something small (at least to start off with, so that an initial release isn't incredibly long away), fun to develop, yet polished and fluid.

@Kreator:

> Interesting. I'm familiar with your work. I'm not quite aware of your skill-level though. Fill me in, I'm really curious what you can do. (:
>
> As forementioned, I'm keen to work on something small (at least to start off with, so that an initial release isn't incredibly long away), fun to develop, yet polished and fluid.

I'll explain a little about myself.
I'm a 21 year old Computer Science major. Along with school I work as an intern writing Java code for a large company whose primary product is software.

As far as languages, I'm experienced in the following:
Java, C++, .NET, VB6, ASP, VBScript, Python, PHP, Javascript (HTML 5 specifically), COBOL (lol), Cocoa/Objective C, NodeJS (a cool technology)

My work with Eclipse is somewhat limited… 5 years ago I worked with Odyssey source code which is similar to Eclipse/Mirage. I just recently installed VB6 again to help out with an Eclipse project. Like many coders, I'm somewhat of a perfectionist so a lot of my uncompleted work is gathering dust on my HD. I feel confident that I possess the skills necessary to code whatever is decided.

Small is good.. I think many people dream too big and never accomplish what they set out to do.

Have you heard of the game [Dungeons of Fayte?](http://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=10372.0)
I think it's combat system (both for ranged and melee), is flawless. It's collision-based hits, the knock-backs, combined with the movement speeds, enemy AI, and so forth makes it both smooth, fun and strategically challenging in some more difficult areas. If it were to able to be recreated in an mmorpg environment, I think it would really be something. I dream of developing some sort of 8-bit game with a combat system identical to this.

I'm Pete, I'm 17 years old.
My main interests are music and computers.

I'm currently finishing and NQ Computer Games Development course. Hoping to get into the HNC Computer Games Development course later this year.

I do a bit of web development (HTML/CSS/PHP).

I'd be willing to help out with music (assuming you need any help in that area) and general design and organisation. For The City (the game I'm sort-of-but-not-really working on) I would spend hours making tables with the map numbers, NPC's found on the map, Items on that map and generally planning every detail out. I also made lists for the items (where to find them, value, uses, etc..) and NPCs (included creatures).

So yeah, if you're needing any help, I'm not doing much lately. (:

@Kreator:

> Thanks for the expression of interest. It's good to see another member who is good with planning an design. I'd love to see/hear some of your previous work, I'm actually rather unfamiliar with it. (:

Ehh, not got much on the planning and design aspect.
Here are some [MIDI Previews](http://petemurray.net84.net/private/eclipse/MIDI%20PREVIEWS.zip). Some are better than others, some are incomplete.

@Kreator:

> Have you heard of the game [Dungeons of Fayte?](http://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=10372.0)
> I think it's combat system (both for ranged and melee), is flawless. It's collision-based hits, the knock-backs, combined with the movement speeds, enemy AI, and so forth makes it both smooth, fun and strategically challenging in some more difficult areas. If it were to able to be recreated in an mmorpg environment, I think it would really be something. I dream of developing some sort of 8-bit game with a combat system identical to this.

Just reading over the description/ looking at screenshots it looks very interesting! I think I'll try it out later tonight.. That style in an MMORPG would be awesome, and exactly what I'm hoping this project could be.

@Roberto:

> Ehh, not got much on the planning and design aspect.
> Here are some [MIDI Previews](http://petemurray.net84.net/private/eclipse/MIDI%20PREVIEWS.zip). Some are better than others, some are incomplete.

Unfortunately I think your music is a little… lacking experience and skill. However I will try and find you a position in the team project when  enough interest is registered and we begin designing/developing it. Being a musician, I'll probably be looking for composers around my own skill level.

@unknown:

> Just reading over the description/ looking at screenshots it looks very interesting! I think I'll try it out later tonight.. That style in an MMORPG would be awesome, and exactly what I'm hoping this project could be.

Sweet! As forementioned, I think the combat system and such is perfect. And I'm even a fan of the 8x8 graphic scheme, although I'm keen for 16x16 as well.

I'm Lightning, 17 years old. I am mainly interested in Computer Games Programming and development. In the past few years I have really been able to put forward a few features in Eclipse when I started developing "Origin - The Legend Reborn" about three years ago.

I have been through about five versions of Eclipse, and have increase my programming capability throughout. I have a reasonable understanding of Eclipse Origins (if this is the engine you decide to use), and have developed at least one feature which is worth merit (when I was developing it Robin told me to leave it well alone.  :cheesy:) As you can probably see, I have been developing Origin for three years, without any other project. This shows my dedication to the task ahead, as long as I think it will work in the long-run, which I'm sure it will do with your talents.

It can be viewed here: [Origin - The Legend Reborn Item Socketing](http://www.touchofdeathforums.com/smf/index.php/topic,64937.0.html)

I have mainly been writing coded solutions in Visual Basic 6 and Visual Basic.NET. I also have a little experience writing Java and C++. I also did a little web development with HTML and CSS last year.

I'm sure if you need any of my help it will be a fun project to work on in my spare time.

Regards,

Lightning

@Kreator:

> Unfortunately I think your music is a little… lacking experience and skill.

I completely agree with the experience - I'm only comfortable writing for rock/metal music (the music I listen to every day)
Trying to write game MIDIs was a HUGE jump for me. Saying I lack in skill was a little insulting.

@Roberto:

> I completely agree with the experience - I'm only comfortable writing for rock/metal music (the music I listen to every day)
> Trying to write game MIDIs was a HUGE jump for me. Saying I lack in skill was a little insulting.

Wasn't sure how to put it nicely I'm sorry. I just feel your work wouldn't quite reach the standard I'd set for this team project.

And I write metal music and game music too. Heheh.  (: