Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Shoutbox Avatars

Helladen

Nope. I'll provide a few reasons, too…

Personal reasons

* Too damn small to actually see. I use a 12 inch display with a resolution of 2160x1440, and even with 150% display scaling, it was still too small. I'm not the only member to state that they're tiny.
* It's just an extra series of (full-sized, mind!) images for my browser to load only to be scaled down. My internet is already slow enough, thanks!

Simply objective (or technical, if you like) reasons.

* Provides no actual function. If users want to see a profile, they can just click their name as they would have done before.
* Adds quite a bit of queries for Eclipse to make, and for a site this size, efficiency helps.
* Waste of text space as a result of serving no function.

> Hover over can make a popup displaying the full size avatar.

Hovering over a name _already_ displays a concise profile postbit with the users avatar.

I stand by the point of putting the avatars on the shoutbox ultimately adding in no function (or practicality), and not actually enhancing the aesthetics of anything.

EDIT: This links up to this quote, too:

> I personally think it's a great idea. Especially when someone decides to change their name or if two names are similar. This way nobody gets confused.

If somebody changes their name but appears familiar…hover over their name!

> The user profile card is much slower than just displaying a bigger version of the image. I have to wait almost 2 seconds. I can see the avatar just fine that tiny anyway.

The card thingy displays their group, posts, when they were last active, what topic they're on, and quick buttons to find posts they've made, send them a message or add them as a friend. Given the actual, you know, use, the 2 second wait is actually worth it and prevents it from popping up if you're just scrolling over it. I'm pretty sure the wait time can be changed from your end.

What's the point of adding an image next to it where its only function is that it simply zooms in that image? _Why_ would you even need to go that far to display an image?

It's functionally offering _nothing_.

> It's functionally offering _nothing_.

Why not just go to their profile every time. The user profile card is a waste, too in your definition. The thing that putting avatars in the shoutbox is to save time, just as the user profile card does. I can recognize the avatars immediately even if they are that small. If I have trouble, I can hover over it.

> Why not just go to their profile every time. The user profile card is a waste of space. The thing that putting avatars in the shoutbox is to save time, just as the user profile card does. I can recognize the avatars immediately even if they are that small. If I have trouble, I can hover over it.

Except it's _not_ a waste of space, because it's completely out of your way unless if you actually intend to use it.

> When did we have shoutbox avatars?

It was when I was messing with the shoutbox.

> Except it's _not_ a waste of space, because it's completely out of your way unless if you actually intend to use it.

It's an annoying popup though! You don't take sarcasm very good, do you? It's really, the same basis. It's functionality built-in to save time. Small shoutbox avatars may look fugly to you, but when they save time, it is of little concern. They look fine. We can increase the font of the shoutbox/line size if need be to make them a little bigger.

> It's an annoying popup though! You don't take sarcasm very good, do you? It's really, the same basis. It's functionality built-in to save time. Small shoutbox avatars may look fugly to you, but when they save time, it is of little concern. They look fine. We can increase the font of the shoutbox/line size if need be to make them a little bigger.

1) It's not annoying because it takes 2 seconds to actually appear. **The purpose of this is to prevent you accidentally using it**. Having an zoomed in image pop up by merely scrolling over on the other hand IS annoying.

2) What sarcasm? It's bloody text.

3) The same basis is my __exact point__. It adds __nothing new__.

4) The line height of the shoutbox is perfect as it is. Increasing the font would make it inconsistent with the rest of the site, and increasing the line height would take away more visibility of the shoutbox.

I don't even get why you're asking Eclipsians for their opinion on what to do next, it's not like that tactic has ever worked well in the past. ¬_¬

> I don't even get why you're asking Eclipsians for their opinion on what to do next, it's not like that tactic has ever worked well in the past. ¬_¬

I was told to poll it. I didn't even mention bringing it back, I just brought it up asking why it was removed. It wasn't me who was like I must have it back. You don't know what people like to be honest. The majority rules the minority, this isn't a dictatorship anymore, Carim.

> It wasn't me who was like I must have it back.

Then who did? Because you're rebutting to every point I make with silly workarounds, so you're not giving that impression.

> You don't know what people like to be honest.

You're right, I don't, but I do have an opinion on what ideas are good and what are flat out bad.

Besides, any webmaster (or daresay, any UI/UX designer) would tell you that the admin/designer defines how they want their users to experience their site/interface, and improve based on feedback. 

If something is operating with no complaints, then it's actually working; there's nothing to change!

> The majority rules the minority

@The majority rules the minority: sometimes that's not a good thing. In terms of what the community want to see from you as developers, then yeah, that works. It gives you a target. But for something like this? This call belongs to DTK and Wing as the owner and designer respectively who need to weigh up the efficiency and functional aspects. This call doesn't belong to the community.

If you don't want member voting, I'll just say go on with the shoutbox avatars. I was the one who said to do a poll, I'm trying not to have this as a dictator ship, leaving choices like this up to members. Voting, in this case, is all you need to speak your mind. Not everything has to turn into an open debate or controversy, it's really just you like it or you don't.

Maybe we can make it a profile option, for members strongly against it.

> If you don't want member voting, I'll just say go on with the shoutbox avatars. I was the one who said to do a poll, I'm trying not to have this as a dictator ship, leaving choices like this up to members. Voting, in this case, is all you need to speak your mind. Not everything has to turn into an open debate or controversy, it's really just you like it or you don't.
>
>  
>
> Maybe we can make it a profile option, for members strongly against it.

A debate is people speaking their mind and standing for their position so this is contradictory but maybe you could just create a poll then lock the post so its only vote and leave.

I don't get why there's even a whole topic about this. Jfc. 

1st mistake was letting Seth onto the development team after him being banned a few days before he got the position. (-1 administration)

What you guys should have done were added them and if too many people started complaining about them, you removed them. Simple as that. Not a poll asking whether or not a shout box should have avatars.