Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

C Tutorials

chuchoide

Well, seeing as Admiral Refuge is releasing a new Eclipse engine coded in C, I just thought I should get myself to get familiar with C.

I know it would be better to get a book, but for now I only want free, good tutorials.
Even if Eclipse C won't be released, I am still willing to learn C, I just know VB.Net… and I know C is way better, so that's why.
I just want to know, to the ones who know C or C++ here, what tutorial(s) did you use?

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just a note, Stephan will be the head developer, not me.

If you already know another programming language (that is, you know if-else, loops, etc.) you'll be able to learn C pretty easily.  I believe Rithy is making the migration, so he may be able to give some input on what he's doing.

With abit of searching, I did find an [introduction](http://www.cprogramming.com/tutorial/c/lesson1.html) to C, but the best way to learn it is to just play around with things.

Eventually C-related tutorials and resources will become available on Eclipse.

You might be able to try [Beej's Guide to C programming](http://beej.us/guide/bgc/). Basically, the importance of C is learning the theory behind and understanding the language fully. Later on you want to learn how to use libraries and get practical, and then there's the room for learning how to optimise code.

If I had written tutorials, that would be the approach I'd be using to teach you C89, but sadly enough I still haven't written those (Lots of things to do, so I barely write documentation).

Regards,
  Stephan.

Here is where I learned the very very basic syntax of C
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b00HsZvg-V0&feature=BFa&list=SP78280D6BE6F05D34&index=1

It's easy to understand if you already know at least one other programming language and this doesn't bog you down with too much information. To me, it's a great way to start learning C.

After learning from those videos, I simply google "Programming C Tutorial" and find some project coded in C and play around with the code.

Sincerely,
Rithy

@Stach:

> Im just curious why you chose C over C++. Not saying its better, I was just wondering.

It's been covered a few times [here](http://www.touchofdeathforums.com/smf/index.php/topic,72573.0.html) and [here](http://www.touchofdeathforums.com/smf/index.php/topic,350.msg758181.html#msg758181).

Generally speaking, we're trying to avoid the overhead of object-oriented programming while remaining as small and fast readably possible.

At the moment I am trying to find an actual tutor to help me learn the basics of C. Do any of you by any chance know of someone that might be of use?

I feel that one on one learning is better than reading a bunch of tutorials.

Regards,
  Dewald

I'd agree too. But people have better things to do then teach you. As Admiral said up there Stephan will be the lead programmer and Admiral helping. So there really isnt much time in teaching students here.

I do like the idea of it don't get me wrong. But realistically it probably wont happen.

@Bloodmorphed:

> I'd agree too. But people have better things to do then teach you. As Admiral said up there Stephan will be the lead programmer and Admiral helping. So there really isnt much time in teaching students here.
>
> I do like the idea of it don't get me wrong. But realistically it probably wont happen.

Anthony often does teach people, unlike me. My philosophy is to provide course material instead and that people should ask me questions if something goes wrong, isn't comprehendable or if there is a mistake.

Regards,
  Stephan.

Before I get a million PMs in my inbox asking, "How can I C?  Teach me???"  I'm just working with Dewald at the moment, but I do plan on maybe setting up courses or something.

PS:  @Dwald:  I wasn't on much yesterday and won't be on much today, but we'll cover the math library soon enough.

@Admiral:

> Before I get a million PMs in my inbox asking, "How can I C?  Teach me???"  I'm just working with Dewald at the moment, but I do plan on maybe setting up courses or something.
>
> PS:  @Dwald:  I wasn't on much yesterday and won't be on much today, but we'll cover the math library soon enough.

Ok thanks Anthony and happy fathers day.

Regards,
  Dewald.

You should totally set up a course for everyone.
I would love to learn from you.

And Stephan can make like assignments and materials to read and we can ask him questions.
Two teachers teaching is good but Anthony and Stephan teaching is great!

Sincerely,
Rithy

@Admiral:

> Before I get a million PMs in my inbox asking, "How can I C?  Teach me???"  I'm just working with Dewald at the moment, but I do plan on maybe setting up courses or something.
>
> PS:  @Dwald:  I wasn't on much yesterday and won't be on much today, but we'll cover the math library soon enough.

Make a new category called "refuge's C course." And in it, have your lesson plans for everyone on the forums to follow if they'd like. They can submit their work via PM or as a reply to the thread. That way you can check everyone at once instead of being flooded on MSN. Just my two cent idea.

I usually picked up a book about the language I was going to learn, and start by learning what the language is really good in, and what it shouldn't be used for. Usually Stephan explained that to me before I finish the blasted books though.