Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Sand/ground tiles

lollicat

So, I've decided to create a very simple style of tiles. The grass resembles the style from Animal Crossing, and the water is very basic but still resembles water. However, I'm having difficulty deciding how to match the sand with the rest of the tiles. Suggestions welcome.

I love the grass, but personally your choice of colours for the water seems like you spent time on the grass then rushed the water, the grass is actually quite detailed whilst the water is too simple in contrast, make it a bit more detailed but you can still go simple but that's too simple I reckon. Also the way you used the outline or shoreline for the water is its main downfall, it looks like anti aliasing slightly and so just kind of blurs the image which in this case is bad as the grass is sharp. I really like the grass though but the sand is just a block of colour? Keep it up

Hey there, Lollicat.

I'd say, for the style you're looking for, the grass is gorgeous and the water is quite interesting. The palette for both are amazing though.
And for the sand, for it to fit the current style, I recommend doing something like, random dots(not too much) over a plain background, but with different tones of the same color.
Good luck making it, and great job so far. Hope to see how it works out with the sand.

Honestly,
**GuzmanM**

I like the custom breeze-ish feeling that you've made made.
It's very cartoonish, which is good for a lot of games.
Again, I feel as though breeze sprites would go very well with the tiles. In my opinions.
I would try to incorporate a wavy dotted pattern into the sand.
Good luck. :)

The waves in the sand sound like a good idea. I'll work on that tonight.

These tiles are going with my game, so Breeze sprites will not be used with them (as the game features cats xD) but in the future when I finish the tileset I plan on releasing it to Eclipse. For now, though, please do not use them.

Spent the morning correcting some corner issues (though it still exists on certain corners, luckily not all again) and did the sand. Made a small map to show the seams, or lack thereof.

Edit: Also noticed an issue with the water's reflection having turned, need to fix it.

I'd suggest instead of having a rounded square corner, have a diagonal corner.  It looks a lot better usually.  Also, make the water lighter still.  Right now it's a bit dark for your other colors.

I love the sand, the dithering on it is perfect!  These graphics are amazing.