Find results that contain...
Find results in...

What's this?

Rob Janes

• Replies 204
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm just thinking different power paintballs in certain guns. Maybe a red paint ball is all "damage", while a yellow paint ball hits with a much high speed than the others. Some could send an additional flair of paint balls on hit in 4 directions, diagonal etc. All depends on how realistic or fun you want it to be :)

@Rob:

> Players wear backpacks though ;)
>
> How else are you going to carry around hundreds of paintballs and grenades?

WEll in real paint ball (witch I play) people just have a bag usually on their belt also you store paint balls in a hopper (the plastic piece on a paint ball gun).

Here is just a refrence.

>! ![](http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/3/39/PaintBallMarker.jpg)

Also the basic paint ball gear, helmet, long shirted gear, gloves, refill pack for paintblls on belt.

>! ![](http://www.dailydiscountscorner.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/10/paint-ball-522x346-186x186.jpg)

@Schnurman:

> WEll in real paint ball (witch I play) people just have a bag usually on their belt also you store paint balls in a hopper (the plastic piece on a paint ball gun).
>
> Here is just a refrence.
>
> >! ![](http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/3/39/PaintBallMarker.jpg)
>
> Also the basic paint ball gear, helmet, long shirted gear, gloves, refill pack for paintblls on belt.
>
> >! ![](http://www.dailydiscountscorner.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/10/paint-ball-522x346-186x186.jpg)

When it comes to choosing the art direction for a game with such small cute sprites, I thought it would be best to exaggerate the details a little. A pouch would really be a pixel small if I did it realistically.

If Rob really wanted it changed though, I'll do it.

@Rory:

> When it comes to choosing the art direction for a game with such small cute sprites, I thought it would be best to exaggerate the details a little. A pouch would really be a pixel small if I did it realistically.
>
> If Rob really wanted it changed though, I'll do it.

Well I was just saying if you wanted to be more realistic.
Though I like the cute futuristic style.
![](http://i.imgur.com/4tQ9P.png)

@Dash:

> _Splatter'd is the paintball of the future Schnurman where they don't use a gun but more like a hose hooked up to there backpack_, I dig how they look.
>
> Can't wait to play and see more stuff like the maps for instance.

Did I not say, though I like how they look?

@Dash:

> Why so serious? it was just a friendly comment get over yourself.

Really, Dash? Do you even have the right to tell people to get over themselves? I think you have to first.

And, there was no actual reason there to tell him to get over himself, btw.

@Fuu:

> Really, Dash? Do you even have the right to tell people to get over themselves? I think you have to first.
>
> And, there was no actual reason there to tell him to get over himself, btw.

I mean really, are you still mad broski? was there any reason for your post except for showing me your still butt hurt. Speaking of getting over things here you are with your unnecessary bitching. You got anything else to say to me, PM me and don't jump out of nowhere in random threads talking isht.

Schnurman…w/e not even worth explaining.

Sorry for the offtopic, kids do the darndest things!

Attempt to go back on topic: How is the progress coming along? MW3/Skyrim slowing things down??

For those tl:dr - Robin got a full time job so development has slowed down a lot.  Our ideal client will not be released until sometime 2012, but there will be a playable client released before the end of the month, that maintains data structures so that you can begin to play now and your character and score will be ported to the new client once it's ready.  Long story short, I'm throwning a bastard child version of the game together this weekend for people to play until Robin and I can get the full version done sometime early next year.

**Let me shed a litte light on the current development of the game.**

It's coming along as intended, but we're going to be delayed quite a while.  With Robin recently taking a new full-time job (Congratulations by the way).  It puts a damper on the development schedule for Splattered, and you may not see "this" version out until sometime early next year.

It doesn't mean I don't want to get something ASAP, playable for users now.  Something they can start playing against each other and we can import their account files into with the new Client/Server. 

I don't have anything in the way of screenshots at the moment to show, hopefully later today, but I can tell you this.

The version I'm throwing together  (at least to hold players over for the coming months until Robin, Rory and I finish what we've started), does use VB, DX8 and the CS/EO Packet System.  It includes all the same features we have began implementing in the current version, such as the Lobby, Store, so the overall look and feel will remain the same.  Data is also stored in the same manner so that it can be easily transferable between the two engines and still retain player data. 

The difference is between the 2 versions are
A) Tile Based versus Pixel Based Movement,
B) Necessity for VB Runtimes,
C) Lack of Browser Capability. 
**The rest of the game should look and feel pretty seemless. 

_Hopefully early in 2012 Robin and I can put time back into our current version, and finish it off, but this VB client will allow you to play the game in the coming weeks, and start forming your character and earning those stats!_

**So, what can you tell me about the current version we can expect to play soon?**

_How does my character progress?_
As you earn levels, your character unlocks the ability to purchase new weapons in the shop.  He also earns additional 'Health'.  While there is no dedicated UI for your 'Health'. Health Bars do appear under players who have low health.  A blood-pattern will appear your screen the closer you get to death.  Every 10 Levels, you earn an Additional "Health Point".  Meaning at level 11, it will take 2 shots for you to be killed.  Keep in mind, better weapons will also do more damage or shoot faster.

_What sort of stats are tracked?_
1\. Kills
2\. Deaths
3\. Kill-Death Ratio
4\. Wins
5\. Losses
6\. XP earned
7\. Cash earned
8\. Hours Played
9\. Games Played
There is a top 100 for each of these categories, viewable in the Lobby

_What game types exist right now and will be playable at launch?_
1\. Survival - Players are thrown into a field with aggressive NPCs.  Any players remaining on the field when all the NPCs are killed are victors and receive a Cash and XP bonus.
2\. Free For All - Players are pitted against each other in a Free for all bout.  When you are killed (splat) you are spawned on the map in a new location.  The first player with 10 splats wins.
3\. Last Man Standing- Players are pitted against each other in a Last Man Standing bout.  When you are killed (splat) you are taken back to the lobby, without respawning.
4\. License to Kill - Players are pitted against each other in a License to Kill bout.  When you are killed you are taken back to the lobby, without respawning.  One shot kills!
5\. Team Deathmatch

**In conclusion**
You'll still be able to get your grubby mits on a playable client hopefully before the first of December.  It won't be the client we truly want to release, that one you won't see until the new year some time, but the current version will retain the same UI and look and feel similar with some minor differences.

I got tired of typing.

Rob, do not feel rushed to feed us with an awesome/super exciting game. It usually takes a big amount of time to produce a high quality piece of art. I would suggest forgetting of the little "baby" version of the original game, and, instead, continue working on your awesome piece of awesomeness. If you really need to feed us all with a little taste of your game, why not just continue developing normally and do some beta testing when needed. It's way better, in my opinion, than just a cheap version of the original game.

Anyways, this game sounds super interesting and fun. Can't wait to grab it and have a little taste of it. Good luck on making it!

Using the basis of Robins engine and VB/DX8, a simple client for this won't take long at all.  It won't offer all the great features I originally wanted but it'll keep players happy until version 1.5 or say 2.0 (our baby) is completed.  Rather than waiting months, (we're talking at bare minimum 3 months) to do anything more with Splattered, I'd rather even have a smaller client online right now.  As for my CS edits and such, I'm continuing those as well (just need artists).  The source for my CS edits is stable enough to be released, I just need to go through and start commenting things so people can understand it. ;)

@Rob:

> Using the basis of Robins engine and VB/DX8, a simple client for this won't take long at all.  It won't offer all the great features I originally wanted but it'll keep players happy until version 1.5 or say 2.0 (our baby) is completed.  Rather than waiting months, (we're talking at bare minimum 3 months) to do anything more with Splattered, I'd rather even have a smaller client online right now.  As for my CS edits and such, I'm continuing those as well (just need artists).  The source for my CS edits is stable enough to be released, I just need to go through and start commenting things so people can understand it. ;)

Bro. We can wait 3 months.

@Rob:

> Maybe you can :P I think the idea is killer and personally think it as a lot of potential.  The waiting game would suck for me to not be working on something now at least, and with Aloria, well, I'm creatively challenged when it comes to RPGs >:)

Only 3 months? Your team must be so awesome. I'm jelly.
But, anyways, I still prefer the idea of beta testing rather than a "baby" version. But it could always be fun as well, who knows?

And by needing an artist for your custom CS:DE version, what do you mean? You need someone to make you a Graphical User-Interface? Why would you want an artist if the only thing you need to do is coding? :P

@Captain:

> Bro. We can wait 3 months.

The sooner the game is out the sooner we can start farming for feedback and problems.

Having an early version out whilst the full game is still in development is actually a pretty good way of improving on the concept without having to re-do work which has already been done.

I wish I'd known half the stuff I know now back when I was originally creating Crystalshire's engine. Would have saved me a lot of time with the shit I've had to re-work.

@Robin:

> The sooner the game is out the sooner we can start farming for feedback and problems.
>
> Having an early version out whilst the full game is still in development is actually a pretty good way of improving on the concept without having to re-do work which has already been done.

That's… just awesome. I'll save that up as an advise.

It's solid advice for anything you do. Being a perfectionist and trying to get everything done before releasing it is plain stupid. Look at all the idiots in the projects section not letting shit get released before they think it's "finished".

The reason I get stuff done properly is because I get it released as soon as it can be released. If something needs to be fixed I can fix it on the fly. If something needs to be changed I can change it. You need something out there as soon as possible so people can start screwing around with it and testing the things you simply don't have time to test as a single person.

That's why companies have entire departments dedicated to testing shit over and over again. You can't do that by yourself so you use your players for it.