Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

MyCalendar Review

escfoe2

As some of you may know, I am a computer programmer.
Recently, I have accepted a version of my program worth testing.
It's virus free, easy installation, and easy to use.
Name: "MyCalendar.exe"
Description: "All-In-One Event Scheduler for any day of almost any year.
MyCalendar is "Planning made Easy" with simple customization, editing, and alerts."

Download:  The installation package is attached or just use - http://www.megaupload.com/?d=2LVATHB6

I am requesting you to test out every little aspect you see.
Review it here, and even suggest new features. Thanks everyone for everything.
I'm hoping to hear from you, even if it's just to say "Good job", "I like it", or "It sucks"

P.S.  The installation package is not set to install a desktop icon, so for those not familiar with
a computer, simply click Start>All Programs>MyCalendar>MyCalendar.exe
You can also review the updates and features through UPDATES.txt in the same directory.

Sounds pretty convincing and useful. I'll try it out and let you know what I think.

Edit ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

MyCalendar
version number: 1.3, "energized"
Developed by ByWare Programming

Introduction: MyCalendar is a simple and very organized Calendar application for your computer which lets set up computer eminders for daily, monthly or yearly situations/special events.

Pros:
+Friendly Interface
+Notifies with sounds
Cons:
-Eye-hurting graphical interface
-Only adapted for 1024x768 screens

Overall: **6/10**Poor

Could have more features such as tasks and notes. The thing that I most noticed was the damn ugly graphical interface.  Could use some work too. Look at the first EO release, when it didn't had a Graphical UI, just basic gray labels and that stuff. It didn't had anything visual but it still looked good.

Thanks man I appreciate that.  Can you explain more of what you mean by tasks and notes.  Also, about the graphics lol, I'm not good at all when it comes to graphics.  My beautiful tree with ever-growing flowers would look like a stick figure and a couple floating peckers.  I did the best I could with graphics using VB6's colors, google images, and a cool button ocx I found online.  But anyway, I'd love to improve ALL of that with this program.  I seriously want it to be something people will use to help them plan things.  Any more advice, features, please explain in detail.  I'm here to learn and exploit :)  Thanks a bunch man!  ANYONE ELSE IS ALSO MORE THAN WELCOME TO COMMENT =D

EDIT:  I think adding some sort of custom skin would greatly improve the look.  And I tried to spice the rest up a bit with semi-fancy font and what not.  The schedule editor was created with transparent frames….that's cool shit dude :D  Oh and ummm, ByWare programming; my last name is Byers so yeah, I had to think of something relatively interesting :/

I dislike the way Google Calendar is set up.  I don't agree with it.  However, I love the graphics.  And since GRAPHICS was what you noticed was the worst, help me fix it.  Let's focus on that.  How should I go about changing the GUI to be all around better and more appealing to the customer?

@escfoe2:

> I dislike the way Google Calendar is set up.  I don't agree with it.  However, I love the graphics.  And since GRAPHICS was what you noticed was the worst, help me fix it.  Let's focus on that.  How should I go about changing the GUI to be all around better and more appealing to the customer?

Yeah, I hate it too. But it has awesome possum features, like the task shit I said, and the GUI is ultimately appealing.

@Swagmire:

> I made a simple script, once. I am also a computer programer.

useless post.

@Captain:

> Bro.
>     Learn to use the tab key when you're programming fag.

don't know what to say.

@lel:

> I think the usefulness of this would multiply if you made this an app. for a phone.

agreed

@Robin:

> How horrifically terrible this is.

Robin's usual stuff

@Swagmire:

> Programing* n00b

*facepalm; [Computer programming (often shortened to programming or coding) is the process of designing, writing, testing, debugging, and maintaining the source code of computer programs. This source code is written in one or more programming languages.](http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Computer_programming)

Thank you Robin, your review was highly beneficial to my project :p  On the other hand, I spent about a month on this.  It was most difficult to handle the display such as the starting position of each month.  (Doing this without a constant variable for each month)  The days are all indexed labels (for-looping).  I try to figure out the most efficient way to code things, so it took me a while to fill the date variables and us them to display the month appropriately.  Anyway, there's a lot more behind the scenes of this project than anyone may believe.  It's about 552kb.  That's about half the size of the Origins client for it just being a calendar.  So honestly, its got some work behind.  It's ready for much more, and that's why I've posted here.  Thank you all, may we return to actual "Reviews" and "Suggestions" please and thank you =D

Tried it.

The _Schedule Editor_ was the only thing really hard on the eyes.
Another thing: I didn't like how you couldn't minimize the window or even resize it for that matter.
When that's done, you don't even see its icon on the taskbar when the program is running.
I did like how well organized everything was.

tl;dr: work on making the overall presentation more professional (even from your own perspective).

@escfoe2:

> **It's virus free **I would only hope so…****

Thank you Windfield for your honest review.  What would you recommend doing with the schedule editor?  What would you recommend me to do for anything?  And for the appearance, I was hoping to have glossy, vibrant colors in the background, take away the border for the pictures, and probably make them larger.  The windows inability to re-size was just something I noticed right after I released it lol so yeah, I actually just learned you could set the form's BorderStyle to 'Fixed Dialog' and still add the minimize button :p  You WILL be able to minimize it though, but I don't think you'll be able to stretch it.  Too complex to shrink all the labels and text to the appropriate size and shape per pixel movement.  However, thinking about it, maybe making a few selective size options that are "preset".  That way it will be easier for me and more functional for the user.  To add to, I plan on featuring a custom form skin.  This should help greatly to the "professional" appearance.  Any suggestions?

P.S.  All of the reviews are mostly based on visual aspects, which is absolutely fine, but I was kind of expecting a little review over the performance.  Which also has to do with crappy graphics because I've mostly worked on fixing any bug I could find.  Lastly, whether you like it or not, if you create an event on today's date, and you have the option set to display the events date color, then it blinks back and forth between your set color for today's date, and the events color.  It's actually a weird bug that seems to work in favor of those who still want a visual response to display today.  o.O

@escfoe2:

> I was kind of expecting a little review over the performance.

I was actually quite surprised by how well it performed. It seems you've got a better grasp on fundamental processes rather than graphical presentations.

Trust me, you're doing fine. You'll pick up graphical skills as you make your way further down the road of software development. If I can do graphics, you certainly won't have a difficult time figuring it out yourself ;)

Thanks Winfield, I appreciated that.  Now I know everyone notices the ugly grey background color and blah blah blah, but you can change the color of pretty much everything you see in the View>Color Changers menu.  If you click a color, it allows you to preview it in the frame that the colors are in, if you click and hold (for about a second or two), your selected color will be displayed.  Try changing the visual appearance of the whole month and see if that does anything better for graphics?  Also, I'm sorry about all of the "green" words and such.  This program was originally designed for my mother who inspired it.  Her favorite color is green.  I figured along the way, I would make it able to be customized; and I did. Most of it anyway.  It will be changed to original black print.  I might add a font option =D