Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Eclipse's biggest issue

This engine has been around for 10+ years, nothing has changed except a few good features that are stable & working which we can't complain about I'm thankful for it :)

The thing is this engine has not advanced much at all since these 10 years of people ripping it, changing the name etc. (Maybe it has in some ways but I use to be around in the mirage days in 2001.

The basic engine you guys claim has tons of bugs still and features that still don't work.

I'm by far no VB6 coder and it is hard coming from c# to this, vb6 is a simple language with outrageous dependencies but you don't have to make these depends your self. I recently downloaded the CS:DE Source and fixed 2-3 major bugs within 5 minutes and I just googled vb6 code… Why hasen't this stuff been fixed? Why haven't tuts been put out for real issues and bugs? If this engine is made for beginners and people just stepping foot in the pool why do u guys bash them and tell them to GTFO if they ask beginner questions?

This community so far is full of people who act like they are king shit and have done something but instead of making a minimap script or coded a pet system how about we make a real stable basic platform and help out beginners and work together with the intermediates to achieve this?

I will be releasing working full tuts on how to fix some bugs in CS:DE along with any features I decide to add to help everyone out and will be posting on the forums helping out who ever I can.

Yes VB6 is a horrid language for something huge like WoW, but for this awesome 2d rpg it is not bad at all if your friend knows c then vb6 is html compared to php it's real simple.

As far as eclipse growing it's mirage... It's been around for 10 years unless we get real programmers it will stay at it's current state.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

@Mutedwar:

> Why hasen't this stuff been fixed? Why haven't tuts been put out for real issues and bugs? If this engine is made for beginners and people just stepping foot in the pool why do u guys bash them and tell them to GTFO if they ask beginner questions?
>
> This community so far is full of people who act like they are king shit and have done something but instead of making a minimap script or coded a pet system how about we make a real stable basic platform and help out beginners and work together with the intermediates to achieve this?

With regards to the newbish questions, I think you're missing the point. I haven't been around here much lately, but a few months ago the Questions and Answers board was full of the same question being asked, and I don't know about you, but if you were in my position (and many, many others willing to help out), don't you think writing either "Use the search function first" or "Read the Official Guides" would get a little tiresome. Just because someone is new, it doesn't give them the excuse not to know how to use the search function and/or have the inability to read.

Regarding your second statement, pretty much all of the bugs in Eclipse Origins 2.0 have been fixed, if not all of them. I've contributed to a few of them, and they can be easily added to your source code by using one's ability to follow instructions. On another note, custom engines don't survive long and are usually poorly maintained.

I used to help out a lot of people from Eclipse until about nine months ago. Due to various reasons, I decide mostly not to help out many members for the reasons I explained above. That, and also that the saying of "Respect is earned, not given." has been embellished a lot more with me, the more I've stayed here. Just try to look into the people in this community a bit more before you start complaining.

@Jaxx:

> Soul has converted it to something else I can't remember. (sorry! Bad memory!)

[That was just an April Fools joke, actually.](http://www.touchofdeathforums.com/smf/index.php/topic,79188.0.html) Hence, MrMiguu's response. It's the only successful port of Eclipse, so that's an accomplishment!

What I felt was interesting was that despite it had **the exact same features** as Eclipse Origins (sans the 3D) people still praised it as amazing just because it wasn't written in Visual Basic 6\. Does it make any real difference what language it is written in? How about when it is the exact same code that creates the exact same output with the exact same speed? I feel as if this is the fallacy of all these rewrites that people have made: they beg the question. If your response to why it is better than Eclipse is that it is in a different language, then that does not answer why it is better. Especially if the language is something like Visual Basic.NET which is even worse than Visual Basic 6\. Hence, rewriting Eclipse in another language is useless unless **you can actually get speed gains or make the engine easier to use and expand on**.

@OP:

> XW is pretty much the same thing, there not much that differs.

Last I checked, XW doesn't offer an open-source engine. It doesn't offer 40 active members (even if we decide to give your completely off estimate a shred of credibility). It doesn't offer directional blocking, dynamic maps, dynamic sprites, drag-and-drop inventory, or a resource system. The fact that it isn't open source means that creating these things in a decent way is not possible.

@Mutedwar:

> This community so far is full of people who act like they are king shit and have done something but instead of making a minimap script or coded a pet system how about we make a real stable basic platform and help out beginners and work together with the intermediates to achieve this?

I feel as if somebody should definitely set up a version of Eclipse _with only bug fixes_, no additional features. There's already a source index with many bug fixes, and the sound system could use some reworking. Aside from that, the current source is pretty solid.

Everyone else had said pretty much everything I wanted to so, so I'll leave it at that.

@Justn:

> After reading ur previous post of different threads u never even attempted to obtain vb6 nor wanted too. I think ur just mad cause nobody would release  an engine with a ton of features just for u… Of course its just a basic engine that's the point... Really though u never even tried to make it work... Then u say the only active ppl are jaxx (who has only been here a couple months), jungle (doesnt make eclipse games) and Anna (doesnt make games)....  If ur friend is such a great programmer, which I believe u just made up, why doesn't he build an mmo engine for u? You have done nothing but female dog since u joined here.. like others have said this is for fun.. if u wouldn't even try to make it work I don't think game making is for u..

@Soul:

> @OP:
>
> > XW is pretty much the same thing, there not much that differs.
>
> Last I checked, XW doesn't offer an open-source engine. It doesn't offer 40 active members (even if we decide to give your completely off estimate a shred of credibility). It doesn't offer directional blocking, dynamic maps, dynamic sprites, drag-and-drop inventory, or a resource system. The fact that it isn't open source means that creating these things in a decent way is not possible.
>
> @Mutedwar:
>
> > This community so far is full of people who act like they are king shit and have done something but instead of making a minimap script or coded a pet system how about we make a real stable basic platform and help out beginners and work together with the intermediates to achieve this?
>
> I feel as if somebody should definitely set up a version of Eclipse with only bug fixes, no additional features. There's already a source index with many bug fixes, and the sound system could use some reworking. Aside from that, the current source is pretty solid.
>
> Everyone else had said pretty much everything I wanted to so, so I'll leave it at that.

**Agreed**

I disagree with you 7804364…

Sure, EO is not an "out of the box-install and turn on-toss in a sad story-and you got a MMORPG to make money and reap the benefits of" kinda piece of software you'd want it to be...

And for you it might be outdated and old effort, but that's the beauty of it, where you see limitations many of us see potential for growth...

For many of us EO is a tool built on top VB6, another tool. And this tool help us materialize our vision, to make an ORPG, to tell a story and to share with our friends... and you know what?  It works wonders, the VB6 is an easy to grasp programming language, unlike its older brothers c++ and java, which are far more complicated on the beginner....

There is a reason Visual BASIC 6 is called BASIC...

Sure you may want a free WoW engine, but tough luck is that for that to happen you'll need to build one yourself... which is no easy task.

And you being here complaining about EO not being what you want, and calling this community dead, only proves you can't build that free WoW engine by yourself... and you're pushing for a free meal ticket.

Embrace what you're being offered for free or find something else that strikes your fancy... Otherwise don't complain if the community grills you alive for tossing such sad comments just to vent your frustrations, coz you know "beggars can't be choosers"... ;)

@Jaxx:

> I recommend just closing this topic, before more fighting takes place…..

Isn't that what makes this thread interesting from the start?

I say we supply 7804364 with more team members, to help back up his claims. We have a shot at moving this entire thread to the debate section.