Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Minimalist Tileset Critique

Jeff

The trunk and roots doesn't look like trunks and roots (or atleast in my point of view). Lessen the puffiness of the tress, they look like candies.
The cliff is a little to detailed than the rest of the tiles.

I love simplistic and minimalist style.
Keep up the good work and best of luck for you.
Excited to see what the rest of the tiles would look like.
:)

@Niko:

> I think they shouldn't be so round. Maybe more natural and less round, more contrast with the colors?

Yeah, I'll try making them a little more irregular. I know the colors are all really gray right now, I'm not too concerned about the palette until I can finish this tree.

@SkyFox:

> The trunk and roots doesn't look like trunks and roots (or atleast in my point of view).

I'll try making them a bit more wooden.

@SkyFox:

> Lessen the puffiness of the tress, they look like candies.

Not sure what you mean by that. The shape, or the foliage pattern?

@SkyFox:

> The cliff is a little to detailed than the rest of the tiles.

No, the tree isn't detailed enough. It'll all come together, just trust me on that.

@Socuine:

> Way better than your first attempt. I just love those trees and cliffs!

Way better than the first attempt in the old spoiler? I think you may have me confused with another guy.

@Azy:

> Looks really really good. Man you've improved your pixel art so much, great job.

Funny thing is, I was improving without actually making much pixel art. Just looking at others' pixel art goes such a long way. Maybe I'll redo DoD's tiles sometime, make them very modern instead of retro.

Edit–
![](http://i.imgur.com/cw5rD.png)
Water, rocks, and a bunch of other doodad tiles.

@Azy:

> The flowers look a little flat and as for the boulders the bottom of it just throws me off…. Not sure why it just doesn't look like it sitting in the grass.

I think I might keep the flowers looking flat, but I'll see how they look with shading.

As for the boulders, you're totally right. I forgot to have little blades of grass peaking up.

@Azy:

> The large trees look like they are just wider versions of the other tree with maybe a different perspective

I wasn't really going for a different kind of tree. The trees just seemed too small, so I made them bigger. I don't know if I'll continue to use the little trees.

![](http://i.imgur.com/ZW6Ia.png)
Got tired of trees, made dry grass tiles. These are also more urgent as they will be used earlier.

What does eclipse think? Could these be used in a starting area, or only unique super niche areas? Maybe too bad to be used at all?

The starting area is a little ranching town with grass that is dry most of the year. If the dry grass tiles don't work, I'll just use green grass tiles with lots of dirt.

@Azy:

> I like the color of the dry grass, I just don't think it looks like dry grass.  Maybe add more dirt spots idk really.

This ^, you should try adding tufts of dry grass. I know you're going for minimalist-style, so a few here and there should not be too overboard.

@Dr:

> This ^, you should try adding tufts of dry grass. I know you're going for minimalist-style, so a few here and there should not be too overboard.

Tufts throughout the whole thing? naah, I wouldn't like that. I do have tufts in some places though.

@Dr:

> Oh, so you do! I didn't realize. In this location, will there be dried-out trees? If so, you could try adding piles, or scattered, dry leaves?

Did you not see the grass tufts or something? They should be visible in the image I posted.

Also, I dunno about trees yet. I might make dead(no leaves) trees, or I could make trees with brown leaves, or I could have no trees at all.