Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Single Player engine for Eclipse

So I wanted to run for the New Developer position by making a new simple engine for Eclipse. I've realised that it isn't humanly possible for me to create a whole new engine in 2 months (well, like a month now). I do have a nice single player base and just wanted to know how many people would be interested in something like this? Clearly there are others like RPG Maker but what I'm offering is a really simple, easy to use base that's well documented and has proper support.

> a Single player engine may just dilute the community.

I really disagree with that. The community is at a point where all the games are exactly the same. A single player engine will first of all add a whole new set of games to the community but will also force people to focus on gameplay more instead of simply hoping that the online element will appeal to people.

> I really disagree with that. The community is at a point where all the games are exactly the same. A single player engine will first of all add a whole new set of games to the community but will also force people to focus on gameplay more instead of simply hoping that the online element will appeal to people.

Developers should focus on gameplay whether it's online or not. I seriously doubt a single-player engine is going to make people better developers. However, it's not a bad idea. Have you considered lan capability?

> Developers should focus on gameplay whether it's online or not. I seriously doubt a single-player engine is going to make people better developers. However, it's not a bad idea. Have you considered lan capability?

And yet they don't. Well I could do it but it would still involve some networking - not a whole lot but some and it kind of defeats the purpose of the single player engine.

> And yet they don't. Well I could do it but it would still involve some networking - not a whole lot but some and it kind of defeats the purpose of the single player engine.

Do you think they will try and make their game unique if there's a single player engine? I think it'd just end up with a shit ton of games saying that they are unique because they have mining, or because they have a cool storyline, or because they have different graphics.

> Do you think they will try and make their game unique if there's a single player engine? I think it'd just end up with a shit ton of games saying that they are unique because they have mining, or because they have a cool storyline, or because they have different graphics.

i would play a game with a cool storyline, in fact most online games are lacking in that aspect because they focus so heavily on the multiplayer part of it, like comparing final fantasy to world of warcraft its almost a seperate playerbase you would be tapping into.

A project shouldn't be held back because it looks like RPG Maker. A single player engine can be used by people who mean business with it or people who want to use a hobby concept on it, like we already do with Eclipse as an MMO engine.

> Do you think they will try and make their game unique if there's a single player engine? I think it'd just end up with a shit ton of games saying that they are unique because they have mining, or because they have a cool storyline, or because they have different graphics.

But is that really worse than what we have now? Again, it encourages a bit more competition among 'developers' which is something we're not seeing now. Instead what we have at the moment is the same game over and over again using the same feature sets.

By the way when the combined votes of "Yes" and "I'd have to see it" reach 20 I'll start working on it.

• 3 weeks later...
Why you wanna make single-player engine when RPGXP/VX/ACE is powerfull as shit and with some scripting you can change alot of its systems, like you can use Blizz ABS for normal battle system (not turn-based) and with some other scripts you can edit whole GUI etc.

> Why you wanna make single-player engine when RPGXP/VX/ACE is powerfull as shit and with some scripting you can change alot of its systems, like you can use Blizz ABS for normal battle system (not turn-based) and with some other scripts you can edit whole GUI etc.

I don't care about your opinion.

> Ok that´s fair becouse i don´t care aout your opinions too, i am just saying that making single-player engine is waste and in VB6 its totally waste of time

Once again, I don't care what you 'think'.

I think this is going backwards. Making a 'new' engine in 'vb6'. Going from 'multiplayer' to 'singleplayer'. That's just my explanation as to why I voted "No".

that being said;

Even though i personally don't see a use for it, I think (depending on how the end result looks) that some RMXP fans may move here for an engine that gets updates and support. Cause i dont think RMXP has gotten any update since its last release in 2003 or so.

It's not a bad idea but I do think it's going backwards. Perhaps makin this in vb.net would be the smartest thing to do. Then eventually we can also have a multiplayer vb.net engine and kiss vb6 goodbye.

• 3 weeks later...
I'm not sure if there is a place for this either. The RPG maker engines are great engines to make single player RPGs on and they have tons of support and user generated tutorials and content. The whole reason I came here to this engine was because RPGmaker didn't have online support. The problem of bad games is not caused by the engine, It's cause by the developers. Most of the games started and never finished are just generic MMOs, a game like that will never go anywhere because there are full on 3d generic MMOs released everyday. I think to really utilize the engine you have to play to it's strengths. It's a 2-d engine that can look like classic rpgs, roll with that and turn it into a feature. Instead of people thinking "Man I don't want to play this generic looking 2-d game" Make them think "Oh hey this looks awesome, It has classic graphics like the rpgs I grew up on". And people need to put waaay more time into story and quest development, that's something the MMO industry as a whole is having a real problem with for some reason.

> I'm not sure if there is a place for this either. The RPG maker engines are great engines to make single player RPGs on and they have tons of support and user generated tutorials and content. The whole reason I came here to this engine was because RPGmaker didn't have online support. The problem of bad games is not caused by the engine, It's cause by the developers. Most of the games started and never finished are just generic MMOs, a game like that will never go anywhere because there are full on 3d generic MMOs released everyday. I think to really utilize the engine you have to play to it's strengths. It's a 2-d engine that can look like classic rpgs, roll with that and turn it into a feature. Instead of people thinking "Man I don't want to play this generic looking 2-d game" Make them think "Oh hey this looks awesome, It has classic graphics like the rpgs I grew up on". And people need to put waaay more time into story and quest development, that's something the MMO industry as a whole is having a real problem with for some reason.

Those engines cost a ton of money as well. This may be an online rpg community but I'm pretty sure most people are all in for single player rpg's as well. There's more options for story lines in a single player game as well. With online games you have to focus on the community as a whole and not just one hero or character. So the story kind of gets overlooked while the game is being loaded with multiplayer features. Some games have pulled off a good story in a multiplayer game, but not all. In my experience I always find a better story in a single player rpg than in a multiplayer.