Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Making your own graphics as a whole..

Grizzy

I have to admit. I am one of prob the least talented people on this board… and if you go back to my username I used when I first started making GFX, Blue Tails, which nobody here will remember.... I was not much better than I am now... I see a lot of people who have ambition to make their own game and create, what people would call in the writing world or really just in the realm of creating worlds, their own fantasy universe.... I think they would call it that in the writing world.. I'm not sure lol. But anywho... It really isn't hard to try and whip shit together. Who knows you might have a hidden talent. And if you want your game to succeed for whatever goals you might have I think the more creationism you can show the better.... even when making a copy of another game... Zelda, Mario, FF... if you made your own GFX for those games wouldn't it be way cooler than GFX from a game that has already been made.... That is all. I'm sorry if I came off rude. lol.

Also… if you want someone else, besides you, to be excited about your project custom GFX is the easiest way imo to make that happen. when I look at the things Ive made and the progress of me getting better and better... that is what inspires me.... every time.

Graphics, although they play a big role, aren't the only component that a game has. Some graphics might fit a game atmosphere rather well, and some might not despite being custom. I'd rather play a game with great gameplay, and graphics that fit the game than play a game with terrible gameplay and custom graphics. The only benefit of having custom graphics is showing that you put enough dedication and hard work into that game; it does not ensure that everyone will love your game.

I never had done pixel art in my life before I started working on Lord of Empire, which then became Bastion Online, and which is now my game Aegis. Give it a shot if you haven't tried it, you'll never know if you don't. ![:)](http://www.touchofdeathforums.com/community/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/smile.png)

As far as doing everything by yourself goes, that's what I'm doing right now; making classes, talents, spells, items, and doing all the graphics. It's obviously tougher but if you have the motivation you'll have fun doing it.

> Maybe you could use some grammar and such in the OP to make it readable? It's a wall of text..

I think that the point he was trying to make was that custom graphics are always better than RMXP graphics, and that you should make the effort to make them.

I don't remember even putting this on here. This reminds me of drunken texts I used to have a bad habbit of sending when I was younger. Ignore all of that blob like thing that I tried to pass off as an educated thought. lol. =]

It can be intimidating trying to jump in an create a complete tileset from scratch with little to no skill with pixel art and/or experience with programs like GIMP or Photoshop. I'd recommend just doing it in manageable steps. You don't have to have the biggest ambitions when starting to do a little pixel art, perhaps start by editing existing tilesets, change their color ect. As you naturally gain new skills you'll probably become relatively more ambitious and confident, which as a result will lead to learning and making even more pixel art. The more love you pour into your art the more likely others will really enjoy and appreciate it.

I think the main reason most people don't take time to make their own graphics is because it is time consuming, although, if you stick with it the feeling of satisfaction makes it all worth it. I'm making my own graphics currently and though they are very low quality its still fun to make them plus its cool to see them in action.