Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

C++?

Bass_Beast

• 2 weeks later...
*facepalms*

Wow, I never saw somebody failing as hard as that. Converters for *insert language here* to *insert another language here which is not the same as the first* are nonsense. There are several reasons for this:

- Not all languages rely on a specific linking, I'm not even saying that there are languages which doesn't even support any sort of linking.
  - Not all languages use the same libraries or APIs by default, better yet there are languages which cannot even run a specific library due language syntax limits and other sort of limits.
  - The style of the language output wouldn't be as you like it to be. Everybody has different standards or likings.
  - Languages differ and some things just can't be converted.
  - Each language has a sort of problem list, converters don't keep this in mind.
  - Language like Assembly, C, C++ have several syntax standards, e.g.: C89, C99, AT&T, Intel Assembly, ISO C++ 2008 (or something similar).
  - And so further.

There is perhaps only one good converter and that's a human, perhaps.

Regards,
  Asagndarg.

I'm sure theres is plenty of converters out there that can convert one code to another code.
Doesnt mean the end result is going to be "correct" runnable code though.
All they would do is identify various generic commands from one code, and write them as generic commands of the other code.
The "source" would end up worse then regurgitated spagettii (wow, I spelled regurgitated right)

The VB6 to VB.NET converter of VB Studio 2003, 2005 and 2008 is crap. Now, keep this in mind:
  VB is a property of Microsoft.
  VB.NET is a property of Microsoft.
  The converter is a property of Microsoft.

Now you can say, it's Microsoft…

But I think that in this case they did a better job than anyone with such weird ideas such as this could do.

Regards,
  Asagndarg.

not to mention everyone everyone codes with their own style so it would have to be uber-sophisticated to even pick up on a certain coder's IF statement styles…

idea=awesome,
execution=*skull and crossbones here*

so the only real solution is to start over in c++.
ya... no.
I dont think most people realize how much VB does the coding for you...
VB writes basically everything for you using its DLL and OCX files. Not to mention you dont even have to touch a rendering loop... You would have to recreate every function(and find out whats in the dll/ocx files) and Object(excuse me while I laugh at someone attempting this).

all in all... possible... if you have a lot of time to burn and near perfect knowledge of C++. Not realistic for the average person

@Shadowwulf:

> and this is why C++ engines are in the thousands for liscences.
> they took a team years to make.

People write time down as from the beginning of the project till the end of the project but almost nobody realises that it should be only the hours of work which should be written down. So year? Take that with a grain of salt.

You can write a simplistic engine in C++ within a week if you have the knowledge and skills and perhaps the required resources.

Regards,
  Asagndarg.

of course i meant working regular hours… duh.
and to make a really great, bug free, feature full engine like those you can currently buy on the market, it takes alot of time and effort so they cost alot.
I checked into engines ranging from 100 USD to the six figures.
The extra cost is definately worth it but putting so much into your game off the bat will be a large hit to take.
You would have to make several games before seeing a profit.

There's an early test of Mirage in C++

[http://web.miragesource.com/forums/viewforum.php?f=123](http://web.miragesource.com/forums/viewforum.php?f=123)

You'd need to finish all the Mirage components first, then write your own variations of Eclipse's features.