Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

~ Why you should NEVER have a forum as your main website ~

Tribal

Whenever i click on somebody's signature and find a portal or forum, i think - "NOOB."!

**Forums are never a good game site.**
Everything in a forum is USER-CONTRIBUTED. When people want to play your game, but visit a forum, 40%-70% (in commercial cases) will TURN AWAY. Why?
-It shows that the site owned does not have the dedication, resources nor CONTENT to form a real website.
-The visitor finds it harder to navigate. There are two things they want, the GAME, and MEDIA.
-A portal/forum index page shows UNPROFESSIONALISM.

**But forums are an easy way for people with little or no coding experience.**
This is no excuse! I would rather see a FREEWEBS index than a FORUM index. If somebody uses freewebs, you know what? Good for them. They have taken the time to make a reasonably looking index page which is easy to navigate. Instead of hundreds and thousands of links under other links.

**When you come to making a website. Do the work!**
Most people know that a game cannot be made without hard-work, commitment, dedication and passion. Forum/portal based websites are so boring! Everybody knows that. Yet they still take the easy path "I think i'm going to use Fantastico or another auto-installer to create my website", or "Im going to download my website off the internet!!".

**If you were a visitor, would you rather see the eclipse current index page or the forums as the freemmorpgmaker.com index?**
I think you'd rather see the current eclipse index page. You know why, it is easy to find what you need! After all, that is where most new people go and find out what to get, and more information about the engine.

**When you create your next website, do the work. Don't use a forum or portal as your main page!**

Some people simply use forums to display info, screen shots and beta downloads for their game before they invest in good hosts or domains. For people to see what they have to offer. I think this is not nooby at all. Speaking of which "Forums are never make a good game site."

Sorry, but you can't tell if somebody is a noob or not by just rating the jacket or just the clothes. Why forums are used instead of an original website is because it is easy to do so (there's no reason to reinvent the wheel) and because why invest before a project is running? Would you invest in a project that only has a name and perhaps a base? I don't think so. Another issue is that most people want to work a lot on their game, not on their site, the site is something for later when it gets a higher priority.

Also, you're actually calling wikipedia or the team more likely a bunch of noobs. Wikipedia is based on MediaWiki, which is also used widely for websites.

Also yet you find portals ridiculous you don't post your reasons. Learn to backup statements.

Regards,
  Godlord.

@Tribal:

> thanks for the pointout, fixed it  :embarrassed:
>
> Anyway: i just find portals rediculous for a main page. for example:
> http://www.arklandonline.com/
>
> compared to:
> http://7-Nations.com/ WITH A LINK to the portal.

For arkland, im pretty sure its not a portal, its sedito or php fuision.

Sorry, arkland is phpfusion.
And Godlord, i said game websites. I didn't say wikipedia did i?
My argument is in my topic. Read what i said, thats my backup statement and you can't beat it.

If you can't make a simple website to host the game then you obviously are a noob. In my opening post i said that they could even use freewebs. Portals are just stupid.

"And Godlord, i said game websites. I didn't say wikipedia did i?"
Wow failure at reading.
"which is also used widely for websites."
Including game websites. So, if you're not calling wikipedia a bunch of noobs then you're calling the other hundreds maybe thousands of people who do noobs. I could consider that discrimination.

Your backup statements are just **opinions** not facts. Big difference and why in the hell would I try to "beat" an opinion. As a matter of fact you're the one trying to beat an opinion, which is just discouraging people to stop using portals where it is actually their choice to do so.

"If you can't make a simple website to host the game then you obviously are a noob. In my opening post i said that they could even use freewebs. Portals are just stupid."
You definitely forgot the standards set up by W3C. What is better a portal which follows the standards and thereby gets rendered correctly in most browsers or a simple website not following the standards which gets rendered poorly? Also not knowing a thing doesn't make somebody a noob. I could call you a noob because you don't know AT&T Assembly because it's simple, which again is an opinion. Also portals are stupid because? You didn't say why. Also why is freewebs better than a portal? Because you've seen a portal quite a few times more than a portal? Again pure discrimination and pure nonsense.

Regards,
  Godlord.

Im sorta just trying to figure out why this thread exists in the first place.

Does it really get your goat that much tribal if someone else uses a forum to promote their game rather than a dedicated website? surely such a trivial matter is not something to lose sleep over, let alone create a thread on the matter.

/shakeshead.

@Devogen:

> Im sorta just trying to figure out why this thread exists in the first place.

It shouldn't but its here. For about my first 3 months with eclipse I wasn't even aware there was a homepage. It wasn't until I had to reinstall the library files that I realized there was one. Just my 2 Cents

@Rathearia:

> It shouldn't but its here. For about my first 3 months with eclipse I wasn't even aware there was a homepage. It wasn't until I had to reinstall the library files that I realized there was one. Just my 2 Cents

Fair enough. I on the other hand found the eclipse homepage first, then came here (i think i came here off a link for a tileset or something..) but TBH once i came here, i never went back to the homepage.

@Godlord:

> Your backup statements are just **opinions** not facts. Big difference and why in the hell would I try to "beat" an opinion. As a matter of fact you're the one trying to beat an opinion, which is just discouraging people to stop using portals where it is actually their choice to do so.

Omfg. What do you seriously think this thread is about? 'It is a fact that you are a noob if you use a portal'. NO. This is my opinion and i am entitled to my own. I created this topic to voice my opinion and for others to deliberate on the matter.

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion. Why don't you create a new thread about why people SHOULD use portals?

Do you seriously think i would have any facts to prove that portals are 'stupid'?

To grab one sentence out of the topic:
"When you create your next website, do the work. Don't use a forum or portal as your main page!"
Use of imperative results into enforcement. If it are opinions don't let them come over as facts.

"Why don't you create a new thread about why people SHOULD use portals?"
Because I can't be bothered to make a topic just for talking about how good/bad portals are nor am I restless about somebody (not) using it. Also known as: the importance is too low for me to make a topic about it.

"Do you seriously think i would have any facts to prove that portals are 'stupid'?"
No, but do you think opinions should come over as facts?

Regards,
  Godlord.

@Godlord:

> To grab one sentence out of the topic:
> "When you create your next website, do the work. Don't use a forum or portal as your main page!"
> Use of imperative results into enforcement. If it are opinions don't let them come over as facts.
>
> "Why don't you create a new thread about why people SHOULD use portals?"
> Because I can't be bothered to make a topic just for talking about how good/bad portals are nor am I restless about somebody (not) using it. Also known as: the importance is too low for me to make a topic about it.
>
> "Do you seriously think i would have any facts to prove that portals are 'stupid'?"
> No, but do you think opinions should come over as facts?

para1)  Use of imperitive gives strength to the argument and makes my point stronger. Imperitive is demanding because i feel very strong over my point.

p2) SARCASM.

3) I guess that juts shows my good debating skills then, huh  :cool:

> 1)  Use of imperitive gives strength to the argument and makes my point stronger. Imperitive is demanding because i feel very strong over my point.

Imperative is used for enforcements. If you're using imperative for opinions then you're simply doing it wrong.

> p2) SARCASM.

How would somebody be able to smell that? Literacy has a very low amount of emotions and for pointing out irony or sarcasm there's a sign.

> 3) I guess that juts shows my good debating skills then, huh  :cool:

Three words: ego show off.

Regards,
  Godlord.

@Tribal:

> I think its blatently obvious that YOU of all people (coding god) wouldn't create a thread about why portals are so darn 'useful'

Neither would I write one of why they aren't useful. Simply, because I know my priorities and posting such a thing has my lowest priority if not none at all. Next to that, it's a subject for a discussion not for a topic. As you can say discussions can be held in a topic, true, but at least if the topic provided a good base for a discussion. After all, why would I need to write such a topic at all? Like I said, I'm not bothered with writing such topic at all.

Regards,
  Godlord.