• More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Eclipse Port

zombie0hour

@Admiral:

> Java
> waits for HM to come in and list 101 reasons to switch to Java

1: Java is MultiPlatform "You can find Java on almost any machine; from your Computer to Blu-Ray Disc players, to even your car." (Sun)
2: Java supports metaprogramming. Metaprogramming is technically epic fast scripting because it changes precompiled objects and recompiles them.
3: Java is easily multithreaded. Seriously, you just inherit the Thread Class.
4: Java is completely backwards compatible so it will never go obsolete. You can pull out an old Java 1.0 app and it should still run.
5: Java is free.
6: Java is designed for the Web thus Web-based features such as networking should be fast enough
7: Java engines exist and can hold several players. *cough Runescape*
8: Java has math functions prestreamlined. Tests prove that Java is faster than VB at math.
9: Java has the JOGL library. (Java OpenGL). Eclipse 3.0 has an optional OpenGL module. OpenGL is on every machine. Microsoft has its DirectX, which is great,. But DX10 forces you to have Vista/W7.
10: Java compiles in individual classes linked with a virtual server. Technically you could just update by replacing classes.
11: Java has most the hard stuff already done. Why reinvent the wheel with C/C++ when you already got a multiplatform language?
12: Java is here to stay. 25% of all applications are written in Java. If Microsoft decided it was not going to support Java anymore, Im pretty sure that would be the cause of Microsoft's death.
13: Java is now Open Source. (JRE6 Open Java)
14: Mozilla's Rhino Script interpreter is 80,000x faster than Microsoft's vbscript.
15: Its already started.
16: Java self-documents itself with its easy-to-follow object-oriented layout.
17: Java self-debugs by demanding explicit actions
18: Java classes function quite similar to VB6 types. Transition is easy.
-Insert reasons 19 to 100-

C++ is probably the best alternative to Java, but Im pretty sure that Eclipse does not need all the power of C++ to function properly. Anyways, I don't have the time to transcode into C++; Im far more proficient in Java.
@Zombie0hour:

> No I love Visual Basic 6! It will live on in my work!
>
> Edit:
> Abandonware? Does this mean I can finally start selling copys of Visual Basic 6 Enterprise? Im gonna be rich XD.

no. Selling abandonware is illegal.

@AydanWatkins:

> Java because it can run on any machine any os without any change in code (as long as the graphics don't use directx)

C/C++ can too, unless you're not a cross-platform C/C++ programmer like I am.

> Why reinvent the wheel with C/C++ when you already got a multiplatform language?

Too bothered to use existing C/C++ libraries?

> 3)There are enough C++ engines out there, we need to help spread the word about a new language.

Name me five with the same goals, functions and features as Eclipse.

> -Insert reasons 19 to 100-

19\. It's overrated.
20\. It's overrated.
21\. It's overrated.
22\. It's overrated.
23\. It's overrated.
24\. It's overrated.
25\. It's overrated.
etc.

> 12: Java is here to stay. 25% of all applications are written in Java. If Microsoft decided it was not going to support Java anymore, Im pretty sure that would be the cause of Microsoft's death.

If 25% of all applications are written in Java, how come I only know like 3 on the top of my head. If Microsoft decided to not support Java anymore. I'm pretty sure that would be the cause of Sun's death.

> 1: Java is MultiPlatform "You can find Java on almost any machine; from your Computer to Blu-Ray Disc players, to even your car." (Sun)

Ironically I hardly ever find the word Java in any hardware references. Usually they have their own microlanguage or a controller available. If Java was really that great: ACPI would support it.

Regards,
  Godlord.

@Godlord:

> Name me five with the same goals, functions and features as Eclipse.

I can't name any with the same features as eclipse. But I wasn't comparing C++ to eclipse.

I was just saying that having Eclipse in Java, and not another language, would not only draw new people interested in Java to Eclipse, but people interested in Eclipse will be shown Java.

The largest crowd of people use C++, which is why we should ~~BE REBELS!!!~~ show them different options.

@Lenton:

> Every free 2D MMORPG maker just like eclipse is programmed in VB6\. If Eclipse gets ported to C++ it would easily beat the rest and they would most likely die out.
>
> Can anyone even tell me why Java is better than C++??

While Java is a bit slower than C++, I find it easier than C++. But that's just my opinion. I'm sure others will agree, and others will not.

> I was just saying that having Eclipse in Java, and not another language, would not only draw new people interested in Java to Eclipse, but people interested in Eclipse will be shown Java.

I was just saying that having Eclipse in C++, and not another language, would not only draw new people interested in C++ to Eclipse, but people interested in Eclipse will be shown C++.

> While Java is a bit slower than C++, I find it easier than C++. But that's just my opinion. I'm sure others will agree, and others will not.

I would set the difficulty for both at the same level in my case. So I can't really say anything about that.

Regards,
  Godlord.