Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Vista has succeeded in pissing me off more then ten thousand noobs.

Dark Crusade

I ended up getting Vista Premium, deciding to put it and my already installed XP in dual boot. However the past few hours I've had endless problems and annoyances. Although I don't want to talk about it much because every thought I have makes me want to go on a killing spree, I'll cover the basis of my frustrations-

1\. The bootloader compared to XP is just ridicolously over complicated and non-user friendly. It was so much easier on XP.
2\. What the hell is with all these UAC bullshit? everytime you do something as simple as copy and paste a file warnings pop up asking for special permission to carry out this operation?!?
3\. Every time I try and access pretty much any file in my old HDD, I get errors saying I don't have permission, and access denied. Although I'm an administrator, Vista continiously restricts me from doign so much, which the warning 'ACCESS DENIED', And transferring over ownerships and shit is such an annoyance. I'M THE FREAKING ADMINISTRATOR FFS!
4\. The default internet explorer settings wouldn't even let me into microsoft.com. I'm for Ducking real, I couldn't download anything like Direct X 10 or MSN at first.
5\. The default firewall settings and even windows defender pretty much stops anything I run, whether it be my own game I'm making, or even freakin' windows live updator.

I had no idea how annoying Vista is. Gah, so frustrated. What a waste of money.

Oh, and it gets worse… heheh. After changing the ownership to 'all' so that I can access my old HDD, I can no longer officially boot into my old HDD with XP. If I try, everthing completely dies saying 'ACCESS DENIED TO DESKTOP!" I tried to change it back in safe mode, and no luck. I can't change it back in Vista either, it only shows my admin account on Vista, system (whatever that is, didn't work though), and 'all'. Which didn't work either.

I miss XP. I so hope I sought everything out soon so Vista is bearable.

**EDIT- Alrighty, for those who haven't read the later posts, I've solved pretty much everything, and getting the hang of it. It's mostly all good now. still a few small annoyances here and then, but overall good. The first few hassles completely sucked.**

for some of those, you have to right click and set permission to run as admin, you can turn the permission thing off..well, they say its off, but really its always there..you still have to allow 90% of things even after its switched off..but yeah I feel your pain, I have files saved somewhere that worked fine on xp, ever since i got vista theres literally no way to access them anymore, I can see em..but they keep saying file does not exist

got help from microsoft fixing it, now it says permission denied..lol..cant help me either, gg microsoft

Kreator do this.

Go to help, type UAC, has a link to turn it off entirely.

The no permission errors are a bug, just hit back and keep trying, it will get through the second or third time,, sux i know - but i have about 8 old vista installations lurking on my hard drives and i have that issue constantly.

As far as the not being able to use XP, thats ducked up - but they don't call them Microshaft for nothing.

The only reason Im persisting with it because it understands my hardware alot better than XP and everything runs 4 times faster.

Yeah don't worry guys I sorted out all the shit. Got it running fairly decent so far. The only thing I cannot figure out is how to utilise all 6 speakers in WMP. I can do it with software called Sonic Processing that installed with my sound card drivers. Its… alright but hard to tweak the settings to make it sound natural.

I've stuck with xp for this exact reason… well actually I'm just too lazy. I was thinking about just moving over to vista to stay up to date, but seeing as how I've heard nothing but bad things about it, I'll just wait for windows 7\. I had a taste of vista when I tried to help my friend install ee 2.7\. Oh my god! I was there for an hour and still couldn't figure his bloody UAC crap out either. now that I've read every tut there is to be found, hopefully it won't be so bad next time I try. Good luck with Vista Kreator, tell me if anything good comes of it.

that UAC thing is annoying, but it actually has saved me from some viruses, had some random pop ups from it while surfing online, was like huh?

It takes some time to get used to, but in the end it isnt so bad.
Definatly not as efficient and easy as XP nor as good overall, but its not really to bad either, once you learn all its annoying nuances

Lol of cause, the disc came with SP1 now. For those who haven't read all the posts, I've managed to solve pretty much every problem. All is running reasonably well. Still a problem here and there, but overall i'm getting used to it.

And yes, I actually left the UAC thing on, after reading about it on tweak guides.

Well I've read some guides to. My friend actually just had to have his computer repaired. Seems his ant infestation in his dorm room got to his cpu. I was like O.o!!! Needless to say after 250$ for someone replacing his hardware he's not a fan of ants. Now that I've read the tuts for it I don't think it'll be to hard to install it for him, when he gets his cpu back of course. Glad to hear you got everything working, I just spent like a half hour trying to get rid of netware… turns out I wasn't restarting it properly during the uninstall process. Anyways, keep me posted on how vista is, I might upgrade.

Yeah, the problem is once you get around all that annoying stuff in Vista, your computer is still running at half the potential it would be in XP. :cheesy:

The sad thing is it does have a few aspects that are nice, but for the most part all it did was take XP, move basic stuff around, add garbage, and make things slower. Not worth the money.

Ya vista sucks. I still got 2 computer with XP but oe computer is with vista. The vista is my moms, i never use it.

@knightkid123:

> More than 10000 noobs!!!?!??!?!?!?!?
> **Cool I'm one of them**!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Corrected.