Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Project Vertigo Origins [ 1.1.4 – FINAL ] (2D Side-Scrolling ORPG Engine)

mrmiguu

@MrMiguu:

> ]
> Keep in mind that there are cons to having your NPCs being able to jump and such: they can jump off platforms they shouldn't be wandering off of. So–ha!

I would just make it so that they only jump when following/attacking a player. Plus wouldn't NPC Avoid tiles work if you didn't want specific npcs to be able to follow you?

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@Zetasis:

> I would just make it so that they only jump when following/attacking a player. Plus wouldn't NPC Avoid tiles work if you didn't want specific npcs to be able to follow you?

Yeah, I know. I only said all of that last minute because I wanted it as a scapegoat.

When I tried allowing for NPCs to fall, it worked. I couldn't get them to smoothly drop. Maybe I was tired when I tried it? I don't remember. I might give it another go.

@Serenade:

> Guess I'll have to rip my parallax system from the old PV. =d

You won't. Just said that that was going to be the first thing I was going to add in.

I will make a tutorial for it when it's finished (the tutorial will assume you're using a vanilla-copy of PVO 1.0.0).

@Whack:

> I Just got a new idea Miguu. Make a tiletyle called ladder, and make it exactly the same as the platform, except it doesn't have the jump/land sound effects when you hit it. If you place a vertical column of these ladder tiles, and place tileset graphics of a ladder, boom, ladders xD!

I don't want ladders in PVO. Ladders don't apply to every side-scrolling ORPG out there. That's why I am going to keep PVO as basic as possible.

@Whack:

> Alright sounds good. But you don't necessarily have to use the ladder tile. Like I never use the slide tile.

That is true, but it's something not different enough from the already existing platform tile to even bother with.

WindSlayer pretty much uses a platform tile (with landing SFX) for their ladders.

I'm really glad you guys are liking this new release.

I decided to follow through with it because DDunit mentioned that I should get to work on Lostica. I figured I'd do what Robin did: use my own engine for my own game.

Also:

[UPDATE]

Version 1.0.1 is out! Check the updates.

I am leaving all older releases as well. Everything download-wise is on the site.

Version 1.0.1 Change Log:

> Project Vertigo Origins 1.0.1
> _______________________________________ _______________________________________
> [o]Fixed player falling into their first water tile not being slowed down.
> [o]Fixed NPCs' inability to spawn on water tiles.
> [o]Fixed NPCs' inability to walk through water tiles.
> [o]Fixed NPCs' inability to walk through water at the speed of water.
> [o]Fixed player entering their first water tile horizontally and not being slowed down.
> [o]Fixed the HOME key bug, that allowed players to simultaneously walk and change directions.

@MrMiguu:

> I'm really glad you guys are liking this new release.
>
> I decided to follow through with it because DDunit mentioned that I should get to work on Lostica. I figured I'd do what Robin did: use my own engine for my own game.
>
> Also:
> ____________________________________________________
>
> [UPDATE]
>
> Version 1.0.1 is out! Check the updates.
>
> I am leaving all older releases as well. Everything download-wise is on the site.
>
> Version 1.0.1 Change Log:

Didn't you also fix the HOME key problem? And if so you would want to add that to the changelog.

EDIT: Found a new bug on the game. If you hold down the up key while jumping and you get to the top of the map, your player will stay up there, floating, until you let go of the up key.

@Whack:

> Didn't you also fix the HOME key problem? And if so you would want to add that to the changelog.

You're right. I will update the change log.

@Whack:

> EDIT: Found a new bug on the game. If you hold down the up key while jumping and you get to the top of the map, your player will stay up there, floating, until you let go of the up key.

Thank you for finding that. I noticed it myself the other day ago, except forgot to write it down.

@Minilinkki:

> Anyway, hows your sex life?
> Has it change since my last visit? Just being cocky and selfish so i don't need to surf thru' 99 pages.

Lmfao…
@MrMiguu:

> Thank you for finding that. I noticed it myself the other day ago, except forgot to write it down.

No problem. I will try to find any other bugs and tell you.

Thanks again for making this!:D

EDIT!: FOUND ANOTHER BUG! This one is when other players are online. I opened up the game twice, and logged on with 2 different players. When you jump, the other players character changes from standing to the action graphic, like when walking. But he doesn't move. Reproduce this, Miguu. It should make a lot more sense if I'm not explaining good.

Wow awesome as always, I remember vaguely trying one of your first releases, where all you could do was just jump around a bit, and at the top of the map was a slightly better projectile. And i think you played as a furbie. It was very basic yet enjoyable and nice because there was always a few people playing it while it was up (which wasn't long).
One thing, other than the 'hanging player' glitch is that blood effects have been left in when they don't really work well with the format. you could replace them with a simple red line at the bottom of the 32x32 (so it would kind of look like a shallow blood puddle from side on) or just ultimately remove them.
Great to see this is still being worked on, when i came back and saw it dead i was overcome with sadness :(
Back to bug testing!

@Whack:

> EDIT!: FOUND ANOTHER BUG! This one is when other players are online. I opened up the game twice, and logged on with 2 different players. When you jump, the other players character changes from standing to the action graphic, like when walking. But he doesn't move. Reproduce this, Miguu. It should make a lot more sense if I'm not explaining good.

Noted.

Thank you.

Hmm, quick question does the 'up' key activate warps in this version or is it yet to be coded in?
I am asking this because I've gotten round to opening this up again and for the last 20 minutes have been working to produce this :
![](http://www.freemmorpgmaker.com/files/imagehost/pics/c6dd9e117a3bc807600ee6f81d351280.png) (all pixel art is done by me except GUI of course (although it isn't something I'd be proud of. Did turn out better than I expected. My pixelling usually looks like vomit)) and I'm kind of making a mess around game which I might release as something for people to do (and also a way to test bugs while other players are connected).
EDIT: Tested it myself, warps are automatic. You should think about fixing that :3 it was a good feature

@Owen:

> warps are automatic. You should think about fixing that :3 it was a good feature

I've decided to leave it the way it is. I don't want to create a new type of warp tile for pressing up and I certainly do not want to taint every single existing warp tile to stunt the developer's creativity.

Besides, I got the idea – obviously -- from other side-scrollers (Maple Story, La Tale, Ghost Online (which is the DOWN key, actually)).