Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Project Vertigo Origins [ 1.1.4 – FINAL ] (2D Side-Scrolling ORPG Engine)

mrmiguu

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

miguu i have as mall problem with the sprites.
I have created my own sprites that I want to use with pv but they donw work.
I realised that the sprite images have to be the same size as the Kirby sprite which kinda worked.
but then i got this problem of then i walk the sprites seem to shuffle about.

![](http://i810.photobucket.com/albums/zz22/shwamshwam1/bugimg.png)
(img taken whilst walking)

any help?

@Snowstorm:

> miguu i have as mall problem with the sprites.
> I have created my own sprites that I want to use with pv but they donw work.
> I realised that the sprite images have to be the same size as the Kirby sprite which kinda worked.
> but then i got this problem of then i walk the sprites seem to shuffle about.
>
> ![](http://i810.photobucket.com/albums/zz22/shwamshwam1/bugimg.png)
>
> any help?

make sprites smaller and move them

@Snowstorm:

> miguu i have as mall problem with the sprites.
> I have created my own sprites that I want to use with pv but they donw work.
> I realised that the sprite images have to be the same size as the Kirby sprite which kinda worked.
> but then i got this problem of then i walk the sprites seem to shuffle about.
>
> ![](http://i810.photobucket.com/albums/zz22/shwamshwam1/bugimg.png)
>
> any help?

I always thought PV had EO's dynamic sprite system?

@MrMiguu:

> That can be edited via server-sided data.ini file.

thanks for the help miguu and toshi

EDIT:

i go into the .ini folder and change the settings to this:

FRAMES_STANDING=1
FRAMES_WALKING=3
FRAMES_RUNNING=3
FRAMES_ATTACKING=6
FRAMES_JUMPING=4
FRAMES_FALLING=1

but then it comes to FRAMES_LENGTH=500
do i need to change this?

@Snowstorm:

> thanks for the help miguu and toshi
>
> EDIT:
>
> i go into the .ini folder and change the settings to this:
>
> FRAMES_STANDING=1
> FRAMES_WALKING=3
> FRAMES_RUNNING=3
> FRAMES_ATTACKING=6
> FRAMES_JUMPING=4
> FRAMES_FALLING=1
>
> but then it comes to FRAMES_LENGTH=500
> do i need to change this?

Frame length is the time it takes for one frame to transition to the next. 500, for example, would be 0.5 seconds long. A smaller number equates to faster transitions and will allow for smoother animations.

@Snowstorm:

> oh ok.
> what would you recommend for the settings i put?

Depends on what you like. If you're using alot of frames to have fluid animations, set a low number like 100 (if that still looks choppy, set it to about 50).

I got some questions MrMiguu;
*You're creating a new PVO, but also creating a PVR What will be the difference? (Except the fact that PVO is made from eclipse origins, and PVR fully created yourself.)
*Will PVR use VB6 or another scripting program?
*If I start creating a game from the current PVO, will I be easy able to update this to the coming PVO, or do I have to re-create all the maps?

I would like to know wich engine is the best for a sonic game ^^

@hedgy:

> I got some questions MrMiguu;
> *You're creating a new PVO, but also creating a PVR What will be the difference? (Except the fact that PVO is made from eclipse origins, and PVR fully created yourself.)
> *Will PVR use VB6 or another scripting program?
> *If I start creating a game from the current PVO, will I be easy able to update this to the coming PVO, or do I have to re-create all the maps?
>
> I would like to know wich engine is the best for a sonic game ^^

1\. The difference is that the new PVO will literally be Eclipse Origins Beta 2.0 (as you see it now) with physics slapped-on. PVR will have pixel movement and interpolation to bring ease to one's bandwidth when displaying a ton of character animations and fast movement (adjustment of coordinates leads usually to a ton of packets. Interpolation fixes this).

2\. PVR will most likely be in C# due to the upcoming IPv6 and the willing readiness of IPv6 address compatibility. It will utilize the .NET socket features (not Winsock).

3\. You can only update your game as well as you could have if you were using Eclipse Origins 1.3, transferring to 2.0 Beta. Alot of data has been changed in the Map.dat files since then so most likely you would have to remake them.

I suggest either waiting for PVO 2.0 Beta or cont. to use PVO 1.3 (current version) since waiting for PVR might be like waiting for Solar Eclipse (I'm sure HM can work a 1000x faster than me when using unfamiliar languages. If anything, I am reprogramming PVO as a learning experience).

@MrMiguu:

> 1\. The difference is that the new PVO will literally be Eclipse Origins Beta 2.0 (as you see it now) with physics slapped-on. PVR will have pixel movement and interpolation to bring ease to one's bandwidth when displaying a ton of character animations and fast movement (adjustment of coordinates leads usually to a ton of packets. Interpolation fixes this).
>
> 2\. PVR will most likely be in C# due to the upcoming IPv6 and the willing readiness of IPv6 address compatibility. It will utilize the .NET socket features (not Winsock).
>
> 3\. You can only update your game as well as you could have if you were using Eclipse Origins 1.3, transferring to 2.0 Beta. Alot of data has been changed in the Map.dat files since then so most likely you would have to remake them.
>
> I suggest either waiting for PVO 2.0 Beta or cont. to use PVO 1.3 (current version) since waiting for PVR might be like waiting for Solar Eclipse (I'm sure HM can work a 1000x faster than me when using unfamiliar languages. If anything, I am reprogramming PVO as a learning experience).

Thanks for answering :) I'll wait for PVO 2.0 in that case. ^^

• 2 weeks later...
@Miklatov:

> How is the week going for you miguu? any updates?

Well with finals and projects for school, I have been trying my best to work. I'm not one of those "oh, he's a dogmatic VB6 coder…" kind of people. I am trying to decide which languge would be appropriate for the engine. C# is convenient but seems a bit too managed for me to work with. I really like .NET's socket system but I am sure I can get the same kind of efficiency with BSD or even Winsock 2\. The thing that's really killing it for me is the deprecation of managed DirectX. They now use this spoon-fed XNA crap. XNA's socket system, from what I hear, can only support 30ish people at once. I will probably either use C++ with DirectX or C# with SlimDX.

Opinions?