Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

�¼Ñ��¸Ñ‡Ä¡Ä¡ÎµÑ‚'s lateral thinking puzzlez.

Patrick

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's 30mph going down.
10m/h going up a 10 mile long hill slope. If they went down at the same speed then it would be 20m/2h, but to get the proper ratio, one must multiply 20 x 2 to get 40m/2h, then reduced to 20m/h on average the entire trip.

@мсичġġεт:

> I sure can.

Lol. Give me some clarity as of what I am getting correct and what I am missing as far as my data analysis goes on your question.

@MrMiguuâ„¢:

> It's 30mph going down.
> 10m/h going up a 10 mile long hill slope. If they went down at the same speed then it would be 20m/2h, but to get the proper ratio, one must multiply 20 x 2 to get 40m/2h, then reduced to 20m/h on average the entire trip.

No it is 20 mph whatever MN says. 10 mph for the average going upwards, using 1 hour, means that with the double speed it will take half the time, 0,5 h. Which is 10 mph + 20 mph / 1,5 h = 20 mph average.

@AkselJ:

> No it is 20 mph whatever MN says. 10 mph for the average going upwards, using 1 hour, means that with the double speed it will take half the time, 0,5 h. Which is 10 mph + 20 mph / 1,5 h = 20 mph average.

The answer is impossible. If you went up a 10 mile long hill in 1 hr, that means you traveled up at 10mph. But to go down 10 miles would be a 2h total trip. Going down, you already spent the 1h time it took you going up. So 20m/h is impossible.

Aksel, there's a flaw in your statement.  You say that if you go down at 20 mph that you'd get a 20 mph constant rate. This is incorrect. As MrMiguu pointed out, because it takes Goddie an hour to travel up the hill at 10 mph, then the hill must be 10 miles to the middle. Since it is symmetrical, then the other side is 10 miles long. How do you average 20 mph for the whole trip? It's simple, you can't. 

If it's taken an hour already, and the hill is 20 miles long, even if Goddie were to move at 10000000 mph, it would have taken more than an hour to go the 20 miles. Therefore, it is a trick question. Miguu is right. It is impossible.

@MrMiguuâ„¢:

> The answer is impossible. If you went up a 10 mile long hill in 1 hr, that means you traveled up at 10mph. But to go down 10 miles would be a 2h total trip. Going down, you already spent the 1h time it took you going up. So 20m/h is impossible.

Correct. But there is an answer. It's not a number.

Well, yeah, in theory, at the speed of light time stands still. But time is relative. We, the riddle solver, from outside this world, would see time as it flows, because we are not moving. As Goddie moves, (s)he would be experiencing the time at a different pace. Even if the speed of light were achieved, there is still a fraction of a second elapsed. The light from the sun doesn't instantly arrive at the Earth. There is no way to travel 10 miles in 0 seconds. Any way you look at it, the 0 will multiply and give you zero.

@AkselJ:

> I already sid it was impossible but you denied it… Nevermind then...

@Balliztik1:

> Well, yeah, in theory, at the speed of light time stands still. But time is relative. We, the riddle solver, from outside this world, would see time as it flows, because we are not moving. As Goddie moves, (s)he would be experiencing the time at a different pace. Even if the speed of light were achieved, there is still a fraction of a second elapsed. The light from the sun doesn't instantly arrive at the Earth. There is no way to travel 10 miles in 0 seconds. Any way you look at it, the 0 will multiply and give you zero.

hooray! both correct. But askel came first.