Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Mabinogi

Mori

Is there really no Mabinogi thread here?  I've been playing it since the North American release, and some of my friends were in the beta.  Stuck with it all the way to what's now known as G7, and I've gotten a good 30 or so people to play it actively, and most of them had no prior interest in MMOs.

What's really nice about the game is its level of casual play.  I spend a decent amount of time just sitting around talking to people, or riding/flying around with friends on mounts.  The community is really great.  There used to be huge bot problems, but that's really been toned down. 

Also helping the casual play factor is the lack of a class system.  There's three races: elf, human, and giant; which tend to lean towards range, magic, and melee, respectively, but you can really do almost anything with any race.  Instead of classes, there are skills which you can gain proficiency in.  To level them, you use AP, which you generate through experience (combat, part-time jobs, quests, dungeons, rafting, exploration, etc.), through aging (happens every saturday night), and through exploration.  As such, if you're an active player, you're well rewarded, but if you don't play it too much, you still generate a steady stream of AP, albeit more slowly. 

The aging system is actually really nice and simplified.  Lower age = weaker, but more AP every time you age up.  It's a bit of a tradeoff, and rebirthing your character is made more interesting because of it. 

Although plenty of things in the game are pay-to-play, the actual game is completely free, and spending money is actually fairly unnecessary.  Sure, mounts are nice, but they're really just time savers.  And free content is always being added.  Just recently, they opened up the inside of the mainland of Iria, where you can go on dangerous raft rides with a party, or hunt elephants, alligators, lions, etc.  And new events are always running, like shooting off fireworks for July 4th for easy money, or smashing watermelons for new summer clothes and earmuffs and stuff.  They tend to keep them both fun and creative. 

So…anyone else actually play this game? 

Character names:

Selkies
Cephaus

Also, on Ruairi.

• Replies 265
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sounds interesting. I heard of this and thought about playing it but that was when it was still Japanese/Korean. How is the costumes and clothing aspect? That is the main thing with MMOs for me, is customizing my look… is it only cash shop stuff, or is there any at all? Or could you trade for it?

The amount of player customization is actually pretty absurd for a free MMO in terms of clothing.  There's an absurd amount of clothes in the game, and most of them have multiple parts that you can dye various colors.  I've heard that Giants tend to have less of a selection than humans and elves, but I only have an elf and a human that I main as, so I wouldn't really know there.  But if you're asking if there's a variety of clothes, then definitely, although white, red, and black clothes are by far the most popular (and the most expensive to buy/make, generally speaking).  There's also skills for making clothes, like weaving and tailoring.  Productions skills are fairly important to the in game economy, there's even a passive skill called "Production mastery". 

Actual money doesn't have to be spent if you want good clothes, just in game gold or time and effort on the part of the player. 

I personally have about 3 sets of clothes I switch between, plus some coats for rainy weather :P

When did you stop playing?  My main human was like total level 150 before I switched to elf.  With the massive Iria continent to explore, I'm kinda surprised you got bored. 

If I get bored, I just start a dungeon/raid party or do hunting quests.  A dozen friends hunting big game is usually pretty fun.  Or I'll write/play music (did I mention you could do that?).  Or I'll head to Channel 1 and go on a spending spree at some personal shops.  Even the combat system is more fun than the standard point-and-click interface of most MMOs. 

Idk, again, just surprised you got bored that quickly. 

Edit: dtdsora, what server are you on?

Well, I'm in Ruairi too, as are most of my friends, so feel free to hit me up.  I'm probably going to sleep soon, tired.  I'll check on this thread tomorrow or something if I have the time.