Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

I am humbly requesting a Latin board. (I'm serious, admins.)

LRgamer

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't think we need to have a Latin board; though it'd be fun for afew days, maybe a week tops, the "rush" of posting in a latin board will slowly die out, and we'd have another inactive language board.
As another user said, the "Different languages" boards are designed for users who cannot speak English well, but still wish to use the engine.
Russian board, on the other hand, could be useful, given we had a member fluent in Russian that had enough understanding of the engine to provide support in that language.

@Jna:

> Why not just make like a sub board in chit chat for spanish?
>
> Estan de acuerdo o no? Si no estan de acuerdo me da igual.

I'm pretty sure it can be made in the http://www.touchofdeathforums.com/smf/index.php/board,283.0.html board (can new topics be made in the board itself, discluding the sub-boards?).

@The:

> Indeed. [SB] got it. Why not this wonderful language where we derived almost everything from?
> 'Tis a marvelous and splendid thing!

English was derived from a lot of things. Anglo-saxon, Norse, Norman. I admit, a lot of our words have been constructed from Latin roots, but the same can be said about Greek.

@The:

> You speak perfectly fine Dutch. We (Godlord and I) get dictations every month so we can handle both.
> Your English is fine too.

dude i know, I can speak and understand Flemish, Dutch, English, German & French, but thanks for the compliment.

@Robin:

> English was derived from a lot of things. Anglo-saxon, Norse, Norman. I admit, a lot of our words have been constructed from Latin roots, but the same can be said about Greek.

Correction: **Old-**Greek.

@[SawQuart:

> Jungletoe link=topic=51361.msg538760#msg538760 date=1252026884]
> O offence, but Latin is a dead language. Why should the board exist if nobody except people who want to brush up on their english and spanish speak it? Nobody's first language is Latin. I know some Latin, so its not like Im just flaming you, Im giving advice. The best way to get a section for Latin speakers would be getting group, which would be really hard. You can put my name on the list but only for a group, not a whole other Latin forum.
>
> Thanks
> Jungletoe

Latin is not a dead language, Old-Greek however is. Latin is still being used occasionally, not to mention that many words are actually **inherited** from the Latin language, especially words most people find difficult to spell or understand, unlike most other words which are just derived instead. Like I said before: "lingva Latina lingva scientia est." I have yet to see any advice, the only thing I saw in your post was the ignorance I usually see from other people who don't know Latin but can't understand and interpret other texts either because of these _difficult_ words which are either inherited from the Latin language or at least derived from it and to give one example: acceleration. A girl, who's in the same grade as I am, spelled it as axeleration and never ever heard of the word before as our language has a more _simplistic_ word for it which is "versnelling".

@ÅÐмiядζ:

> I don't think we need to have a Latin board; though it'd be fun for afew days, maybe a week tops, the "rush" of posting in a latin board will slowly die out, and we'd have another inactive language board.

Like I said before there are a lot of subjects to talk about and I'm not considering your post serious as you spelled "Latin" as "latin" :icon_nif:.

@ÅÐмiядζ:

> As another user said, the "Different languages" boards are designed for users who cannot speak English well, but still wish to use the engine.

The language board hardly ever have questions involving the engine actually, well that is for French and Dutch mainly. Then again, the Portuguese board has/had many sub-boards or at least a category with a set of boards which is kind of useless and unfair towards other language boards. Also the limited set of the available languages kind of disturbs me. We only have a few boards and a lot of languages appear to be missing. Look at Europe and count the amount of languages still being spoken in Europe. Unlike North-America we don't really focus at one language (unless you count French, which is being hated in almost every state and country in North-America), neither do we have something like European, although there's Esperanto, which doesn't look like any language at all and isn't really universal.

Also "Different Languages" means **any** language other than English, not other active and native languages other than English, neither does it mean those boards are for Eclipse support actually. They feel and seem to be general boards for people who are able to speak, write and comprehend other languages than English which is exactly what "Different Languages" means.

@ÅÐмiядζ:

> Russian board, on the other hand, could be useful, given we had a member fluent in Russian that had enough understanding of the engine to provide support in that language.

How about a Japanese, Chinese, Korean, Danish, Swedish, Greek, Turkish, Arabic, etc. board? Like I said there are perhaps thousands of languages and there's actually no point in making non-English boards for supporting Eclipse because the Eclipse engine is an English-only engine. Game development itself is an orbit which rotates around the English language ever since the Amiga became obsolete and German has been dropped as an actual language to share programming knowledge in, although it is still used by smaller communities, but the same can be said about Chinese, French and of course various other languages.

I'm sorry to say, but I feel the presence of xenophobic people here, which kind of disappoints me.

Regards,
  Godlord.

I will not quote: you don't want the wall of text blocking my reply:
"Latin is not a dead language"
It really isn't. A dead language by definition is a language that "isn't spoken anymore. It still can be written or anything of the sort, but no talky-talky = no livin'". Latin isn't dead. If you are good in geography, you will find one of the places where they still speak Latin. Officially.

"I'm sorry to say, but I feel the presence of xenophobic people here, which kind of disappoints me."
"Ignorant" would fit nicely too.

@Godlord:

> Like I said before there are a lot of subjects to talk about and I'm not considering your post serious as you spelled "Latin" as "latin" :icon_nif:.

Actually I spelled it "latin" in one part of the post, and "Latin" in the other; so I'd assume you should take the first-half of that sentence seriously, and the second half not.

@Godlord:

> The language board hardly ever have questions involving the engine actually, well that is for French and Dutch mainly.

Actually, in the http://www.touchofdeathforums.com/smf/index.php/board,197.0.html , http://www.touchofdeathforums.com/smf/index.php/board,283.0.html , and http://www.touchofdeathforums.com/smf/index.php/board,282.0.html board, you will find many topics involving the engine.
Most of the recent topics involve the engine.  I'm going to take your word for it that the French and Dutch do not.

@Godlord:

> Then again, the Portuguese board has/had many sub-boards or at least a category with a set of boards which is kind of useless and unfair towards other language boards.

For the Dutch board, maybe, as it seems that the http://www.touchofdeathforums.com/smf/index.php/board,197.0.html and the http://www.touchofdeathforums.com/smf/index.php/board,283.0.html (and God forbid, the http://www.touchofdeathforums.com/smf/index.php/board,171.0.html ) also have many sub-boards.
I can make some subboards for the Dutch board, just ask.

@Godlord:

> Also the limited set of the available languages kind of disturbs me. We only have a few boards and a lot of languages appear to be missing. Look at Europe and count the amount of languages still being spoken in Europe. Unlike North-America we don't really focus at one language (unless you count French, which is being hated in almost every state and country in North-America), neither do we have something like European, although there's Esperanto, which doesn't look like any language at all and isn't really universal.
>
> Also "Different Languages" means **any** language other than English, not other active and native languages other than English, neither does it mean those boards are for Eclipse support actually. They feel and seem to be general boards for people who are able to speak, write and comprehend other languages than English which is exactly what "Different Languages" means.
>
> How about a Japanese, Chinese, Korean, Danish, Swedish, Greek, Turkish, Arabic, etc. board? Like I said there are perhaps thousands of languages and there's actually no point in making non-English boards for supporting Eclipse because the Eclipse engine is an English-only engine. Game development itself is an orbit which rotates around the English language ever since the Amiga became obsolete and German has been dropped as an actual language to share programming knowledge in, although it is still used by smaller communities, but the same can be said about Chinese, French and of course various other languages.

I mentioned Russian, because another member asked "then I want a Russian board too".
As I said before, the reason the "Different Languages" board exists, is because there are some people brought to the community and want to use Eclipse, but do not speak English.  Maybe they want to create a game in another language (I believe Eclipse was translated into Spanish).

You can make the argument that these boards are simply a "Chit-Chat" for alternative languages, but the reason Eclipse made the board, was so that non-English speaking members can use Eclipse, the engine and the community.

If we wanted Japanese, Chinese, Korean, Danish, Swedish, Greek, Turkish, Arabic, etc, we would need some people that are fluent in that language, and would be willing to provide support to uses of that language, as I said when I made the comment on the Russian language.

@Godlord:

> I'm sorry to say, but I feel the presence of xenophobic people here, which kind of disappoints me.

If that were true, we wouldn't have these other language boards.
Latin is a dead language – yes, people are still learning it, but they are going to know another language; there is no nationality that _only_ knows Latin.  You cannot say that people are xenophobic because they don't see a need for a unneeded board.

@The:

> It really isn't. A dead language by definition is a language that "isn't spoken anymore. It still can be written or anything of the sort, but no talky-talky = no livin'". Latin isn't dead. If you are good in geography, you will find one of the places where they still speak Latin. Officially.

Your confusing a "dead language" with an "extinct language".
Also, which country has Latin as it's official language?

> Brazilian

That isn't a language, the language they speak in Brazil is Portuguese, obviously.

> Actually I spelled it "latin" in one part of the post, and "Latin" in the other; so I'd assume you should take the first-half of that sentence seriously, and the second half not.

I said: "your post" not "the first-half of your post".

> For the Dutch board, maybe, as it seems that the German and the Spanish (and God forbid, the Francais ) also have many sub-boards.
> I can make some subboards for the Dutch board, just ask.

I don't see the need for sub-boards actually, unless they have a standard for what the boards should be called in the appropriate languages.

> is because there are some people brought to the community and want to use Eclipse, but do not speak English.  Maybe they want to create a game in another language (I believe Eclipse was translated into Spanish).

And like I said, Eclipse lacks multi-internationalisation support.

> If that were true, we wouldn't have these other language boards.

> and God forbid, the Francais

Congratulations, need to say more?

> Your confusing a "dead language" with an "extinct language".

Language death and language extinction are the same *facepalm*.

Regards,
  Godlord.

@Godlord:

> That isn't a language, the language they speak in Brazil is Portuguese, obviously.

That's the title of the board, obviously; I was directly linking to that board (via url); hence the reason it came out like that.

@Godlord:

> I said: "your post" not "the first-half of your post".

Yes, and seeing as you're going to point out the technicalities of discapitalization, virtually a typo, I was pointing out that you should then only dismiss the segment with the typo, rather then the whole post.

@Godlord:

> I don't see the need for sub-boards actually, unless they have a standard for what the boards should be called in the appropriate languages.

What standards, exactly?  From the look of it, the boards do look like they're in the appropriate languages.

@Godlord:

> And like I said, Eclipse lacks multi-internationalisation support.

And having a Latin board will help this?

@Godlord:

> Congratulations, need to say more?

LOL, I kinda facepalmed when I saw this; I was playing on your reply:
@Godlord:

> (unless you count French, which is being hated in almost every state and country in North-America)

:P

@Godlord:

> Language death and language extinction are the same *facepalm*.

Actually, a dead language is a language that is no longer learned as a native language, whereas an extinct language is a language which no longer has any speakers.

Compare Gaulish and Cacaopera to extinct languages, and Latin and Ancient Hebrew are dead languages.

@The:

> It lies in Europe. That's all I'm gonna say.

There is no European country that has Latin as it's official language.

@ÅÐмiядζ:

> That's the title of the board, obviously; I was directly linking to that board (via url); hence the reason it came out like that.

So?

@ÅÐмiядζ:

> Yes, and seeing as you're going to point out the technicalities of discapitalization, virtually a typo, I was pointing out that you should then only dismiss the segment with the typo, rather then the whole post.

That's why you review posts, before pressing the "Post"-button.

@ÅÐмiядζ:

> What standards, exactly?  From the look of it, the boards do look like they're in the appropriate languages.

If you don't get the point, then never mind. I'm kind of getting sick of your way to look so intelligent while you can't even make a difference between you're and your, then and than and can't even spell whether while I have to accept people who disagree with my way of spelling things or who disagree with my grammar, although they say that it's theoretically correct.

@ÅÐмiядζ:

> And having a Latin board will help this?

Did I ever say that? I don't think so, would you please bother reading my responses and arguments properly. Thank you.

@ÅÐмiядζ:

> LOL, I kinda facepalmed when I saw this; I was playing on your reply: :P

Go play elsewhere, if you can't be serious, then there's no point of you participating. Also by this I assume your xenophobia is correct. Your lack of respect for both the French and the Latin language really disturbs me, especially since your native language is based on both.

@ÅÐмiядζ:

> Actually, a dead language is a language that is no longer learned as a native language, whereas an extinct language is a language which no longer has any speakers.

"In linguistics, language death (also language extinction"

Regards,
  Godlord.