Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

I am humbly requesting a Latin board. (I'm serious, admins.)

LRgamer

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@The:

> I think a Latin board isn't really needed, because the other boards are for people that can't speak English.
>
> Then again… I do have to learn some Latin...
>
> It really is a tough choice, if you guys used it a lot, I think it would be ok, but if it was just an abandoned board, then there would be no use.

Homework section. I want OR a homework section OR a Latin section. or BOTH. But ya can't always get whatcha want.

@Pete:

> Maybe we should just have a "Non-English" section then?

That would be too hard to maintain. We would need thousands of tags because of all the languages spoken and it simply can't be moderated, I, myself, for instance, can only interpret most modern First World-languages.

@Tyr:

> I only speak Flemish :d

Flemish isn't an official language.

@The:

> I think a Latin board isn't really needed, because the other boards are for people that can't speak English.
>
> Then again… I do have to learn some Latin...
>
> It really is a tough choice, if you guys used it a lot, I think it would be ok, but if it was just an abandoned board, then there would be no use.

I think many people have interests as for the Latin language, which is why there should be a Latin board. The Latin language has a lot of history included with it, which means there are a lot of subjects to talk about such as Vergilius (Virgil), Ovidius (Ovid), etc. but also modern subjects such as games, animes, etc. which use Latin frequently.

If not just a language board for Latin, then just make a group and attach the board to it, just like [SB].

Regards,
  Godlord.

@Godlord:

> That would be too hard to maintain. We would need thousands of tags because of all the languages spoken and it simply can't be moderated, I, myself, for instance, can only interpret most modern First World-languages.
> Flemish isn't an official language.
> I think many people have interests as for the Latin language, which is why there should be a Latin board. The Latin language has a lot of history included with it, which means there are a lot of subjects to talk about such as Vergilius (Virgil), Ovidius (Ovid), etc. but also modern subjects such as games, animes, etc. which use Latin frequently.
>
> If not just a language board for Latin, then just make a group and attach the board to it, just like [SB].
>
> Regards,
>   Godlord.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t7wJ8pE2qKU - One-Winged Angel, the famous final boss song of FF7
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jfRRyys7qTE - Lilium, opening of the famous Elfen Lied. Known for its violent but realistic depiction of humanity and psychology, which made it loved by many, including myself.
These are just some examples. There really are much more.

Latin is still sung in churches and was THE ONLY LANGUAGE THAT COULD BE USED IN THE CHURCH UNTIL THE 1960'S. That's only forty years ago! People started complaining about how they had to learn Latin and how it was TOO HARD for them. For this reason I want to help those struggling with it!

@Pryex:

> England has been able to speak English in church for well over 100 years, since well, The protestants came along.
>
> Is your country just come out of the dark agaes>

Well, Belgium kept speaking Latin until 1964 yes. Belgium is catholic. The Netherlands on the other hand, has protestants. The fight between the protestants and the catholics decided where the borders lie between The Netherlands and Belgium. The more you know…

@Pryex:

> England has been able to speak English in church for well over 100 years, since well, The protestants came along.
>
> Is your country just come out of the dark agaes>

England didn't really have Catholic churches. Every Catholic country had Latin-only churches a century back, other languages were "forbidden" and I still think churches in Italy are still Latin-only, although they might be in Italian now. The English religion is just a branch and uses English as the official language instead.

@Pete:

> Idea:
> Chit-Chat sub board for discussion of Latin?

Latin != Chit-Chat.

Regards,
  Godlord.

@Pryex:

> he's a trollin again.

My GTFO was directed to this post. I posted it before it was made simply because I had a vision of it being posted.
Anyways - well I guess that creating any kind of language sub board is not anything wrong lol.

O offence, but Latin is a dead language. Why should the board exist if nobody except people who want to brush up on their english and spanish speak it? Nobody's first language is Latin. I know some Latin, so its not like Im just flaming you, Im giving advice. The best way to get a section for Latin speakers would be getting group, which would be really hard. You can put my name on the list but only for a group, not a whole other Latin forum.

Thanks
Jungletoe