Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

There, Their, They're

Chief

Please for the love of God, use the right one.

**There:**
I had left my pencil over there.
**Their:**
I had accidentally taken their pencil.
**They're:**
They're a bunch of pencil thieves.

_There refers to a location of sorts.
Their refers to ownership.
They're is short for "They are" and is commonly used before an adjective._

Please get it right, it's bothering me that some of you suck at your own language.

It's the same deal with your (same rule as their) and you're (same rule as they're) :icon_nif:.

Ironically, you just made a common mistake yourself though. It's follows the same rule as they're/you're and its follows the same rule as their/your.

@[THE-KRIS:

> link=topic=52386.msg552961#msg552961 date=1254409641]
> gratz chief, A* in english :P

**Correction**: B.

Regards,
  Godlord.

@Godlord:

> It's the same deal with your (same rule as their) and you're (same rule as they're) :icon_nif:.
>
> Ironically, you just made a common mistake yourself though. It's follows the same rule as they're/you're and its follows the same rule as their/your.
> **Correction**: B.
>
> Regards,
>   Godlord.

Umm, no. that is the right "your"

suck at your own language. it wouldn't be you're own language. that wouldn't make any sense. you are own language? no. wrong.

@Chief:

> Umm, no. that is the right "your"
>
> suck at your own language. it wouldn't be you're own language. that wouldn't make any sense. you are own language? no. wrong.

*facepalms*

I was talking about your or you're in general, not as for your post. My remark was for it's and its.

Regards,
  Godlord.

I've always found it funny as the Internet has allowed me to communicate with people from around the world, that people outside of English-primary-speaking countries, they will apologize for "their English," but will have better spelling and grammar than the average English-speaker.

I have to give props to those people, I would hate to have to learn English as a second language, it's really convoluted.

@Anna:

> I've always found it funny as the Internet has allowed me to communicate with people from around the world, that people outside of English-primary-speaking countries, they will apologize for "their English," but will have better spelling and grammar than the average English-speaker.
>
> I have to give props to those people, I would hate to have to learn English as a second language, it's really convoluted.

I never really "learned" english as far as normal learning would go. I was so good in english I spoke it quite well before we got it at school.

And goddie thanks for the answer, I totally forgot about Its as something belongs to it

Regards, Xeross

@Anna:

> I've always found it funny as the Internet has allowed me to communicate with people from around the world, that people outside of English-primary-speaking countries, they will apologize for "their English," but will have better spelling and grammar than the average English-speaker.
>
> I have to give props to those people, I would hate to have to learn English as a second language, it's really convoluted.

LMAO. I've noticed that, as well. Most native English speakers will "spek horible wordz that maek no sens" and if you call them on it, you'll get, "STFU nub i'll rap ur face!"

But most people who are new to English as a second language will repeatedly apologize because they haven't quite grasped little stuff that doesn't even stop their point from getting across (the game is much funny).

@Xeross:

> I never really "learned" english as far as normal learning would go. I was so good in english I spoke it quite well before we got it at school.
>
> And goddie thanks for the answer, I totally forgot about Its as something belongs to it
>
> Regards, Xeross

My polyglotism allows me to comprehend First World languages (West-European languages mainly, sorry for using this term, in case it offends you) such as Danish, Swedish, Spanish, etc. easily. My native language is Dutch, whereas my "secondary" languages are English, French and German. The languages I get "taught" at my school are: Dutch, English, French and Classical Latin.

@Synectics:

> LMAO. I've noticed that, as well. Most native English speakers will "spek horible wordz that maek no sens" and if you call them on it, you'll get, "STFU nub i'll rap ur face!"
>
> But most people who are new to English as a second language will repeatedly apologize because they haven't quite grasped little stuff that doesn't even stop their point from getting across (the game is much funny).

I've seen more Dutch people who don't even know "Simple English" (I always wondered why Wikipedia had that, but I just answered my own question, indirectly) than Dutch people who are fluent in English.

Regards,
  Godlord.

My problem is spelling. For some reason I can't spell to save my life anymore. :sad:
Infact a lot of the times I will have to completely rewrite a sentence or paragraph because I can't figure out how to spell some stupid simple word.

I used to be good at spelling too :sad: