Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

"Your Game."

Tdogthedog

I'm bored so i made this topic  XD ok here it goes…

You here people talk about "oh i'm making my own game and its so cool!" but can you really consider it "your game" if you use the basic tilesheets and everything that comes with eclipse? I myself make my own custom tilesheets and they are 100% mine. Even my game is 98% mine i used the 2 basic sprites so.. but other then that its all me... so what do you guys think?

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I personally don't see the problem with calling a game "yours" even if you use outside resources. I think the problem with posts like that is the "best ever" attitude. I humbly accept that no matter how hard we work at it, Eclipse won't be the best engine ever, and the games we produce will never stand up against stiff competition.

Part of the beauty of these kinds of games though is the work put into them. A lot of people come in, spend 2 days with Eclipse, ripping off others' work, and claim to have the best game out there. Like Anna once said, in this kind of community, ripping off work is the greatest offense. We're hobbyists. If you're not going to put the time into making your game your own, why even bother? I admire that you're going to lengths to make your own content. It shows the mark of a true hobbyist, not just someone who wants reactions for a game that's 90% someone else's work.

This topic is lame. Ur just showing off how ur game is all custom.

Also, its not custom, cause ur using pokemon tilesheets.

RMXP or Pokemon, still isnt urs.

EDIT: i said pokemon cause i noitced ur sig bar. But then i also noticed u have another game Erra of War (which uses rmxp graphics anyways) so its fail eitherway

@Greendude120:

> This topic is lame. Ur just showing off how ur game is all custom.
>
> Also, its not custom, cause ur using pokemon tilesheets.
>
> RMXP or Pokemon, still isnt urs.
>
> EDIT: i said pokemon cause i noitced ur sig bar. But then i also noticed u have another game Erra of War (which uses rmxp graphics anyways) so its fail eitherway

?? No he isn't… My game is custom too. Is that offensive to you too?

@[SB:

> Tdogthedog link=topic=53225.msg563912#msg563912 date=1256443326]
> I'm bored so i made this topic  XD ok here it goes…
>
> You here people talk about "oh i'm making my own game and its so cool!" but can you really consider it "your game" if you use the basic tilesheets and everything that comes with eclipse? I myself make my own custom tilesheets and they are 100% mine. Even my game is 98% mine i used the 2 basic sprites so.. but other then that its all me... so what do you guys think?

I can say the same for your game, because you are using eclipse engine. You dont create this engine so this is not your game. I think engine its more important than graphic.

@Greendude120:

> This topic is lame.

i agree.

@pheXion:

> I can say the same for your game, because you are using eclipse engine. You dont create this engine so this is not your game. I think engine its more important than graphic.

By that logic why are you even here? If the engine makes the game and that alone is what makes a game great, why are you on this forum at all? We all came here for the same reasons in the beginning. Graphics are a very important part of gaming if they weren't we'd still be playing with colored pixels instead of the 3D textured, lighted, and modeled environments we do now.

To Op: I don't understand why you've made this post, but I do know this, nothing is ever 100% yours even if you copyright and trademark it. All ideas have been done and modified to such a degree that nothing is completely original now. Even in the rare instances someone comes up with the one in a million thing that is new it's very quickly made a fad and then disappears into obscurity.

@Azure:

> By that logic why are you even here? If the engine makes the game and that alone is what makes a game great, why are you on this forum at all?

Because i think eclipse its good base for your own engine. Im learned very much from eclipse code, i didnt buy books, reading tutorials too much. I just read source code and modify it.
Besides that… i dont have the same opinion like topic creator if you using somone other graphics it cant be your game. If you dont see irony in my post its your problem.

@Azure:

> Graphics are a very important part of gaming if they weren't we'd still be playing with colored pixels instead of the 3D textured, lighted, and modeled environments we do now.

You and topic creator says like graphics its the most important thing in game… Its not. Most important its coding, but [SB] Tdogthedog has made your own graphic and he think now its uber game creator. Its just funny for me.

@Azure:

> nothing is ever 100% yours even if you copyright and trademark it.

Thats nonsens…
@[Nitrus:

> Ninja-Tech link=topic=53225.msg564485#msg564485 date=1256563167]
> If you think the topic is lame then don't post here

I will do what i want. You have problem with this?

I don't think the future will provide us original games as the commercial companies called EA Games, Microsoft, Ubisoft, Eidos and such keep releasing games which are as generic as possible. The time when original games were released is over, or well at least for the Xbox360, Playstation 3 and the PC. Why? Because those platforms aren't limited as for hardware. They allow companies to compete at a whole new level called 'Realism'. How many games have been released lately which only tend to be realistic? I think that as for the past five years we haven't seen much originality. It's all about the same genres: RTS, FPS, MMORPG, etc.

Now lets talk about games which are actually worth your time and these do exist. Now that we've seen the commercial companies that just suck at game development, we can actually look at those who succeed or have once succeeded. I think that as for RTS-fanatics Westwood and Blue Byte are two of the companies who actually made good games, but lets not forget that Blizzard was once good too, until they decided to jump into the MMORPG bandwagon of generic failure. I'm talking about games like Command & Conquer, Dune, Starcraft, Warcraft and Settlers. These games were original at their time and were actually fun due to various aspects most games are missing nowadays. Most of those games actually had a story. Now lets compare Westwood's Command & Conquer series to EA Games' Command & Conquer: General(s). I think I've never seen something that ugly, that generic before. It was just horrible. Everything that made Command & Conquer great was gone. Good cut scenes, nice game play, a well written story. It's one of the games I own, but wish I never bought.

The past has known good games, but so does the present (and the past). I think that Castlevania is one of the games that has always been enjoyable since it's first release for the NES. Not only was there actually a story, but the graphics and music always fitted within the atmosphere. Not the mention that the game play has always been good. Originality is also known in the game. One of the examples of that is in Castlevania: Portrait of Ruin where you can play with two characters at the same time. At a specific place you've to use the two characters simultaneously to ride two bikes to crush a wall, getting past some obstacles in order not to fail.

The games that once existed, but then suddenly disappeared were the adventure games. I think that Monkey Island I, II and III are good examples of that. Adventure games had at least one thing in common, they all had a story. In an adventure game you lived the main character, you actually had to live the adventure. It's like a book but instead of reading it, you played and perhaps felt it. Monkey Island was also known for it's jokes which made you laugh occasionally throughout the game. The game is actually so popular that a third party rewrote the engine and ported it to several platforms such as the Wii, the NDS and even several mobile phones, such as the iPhone and some Nokia phones.

Of course these are not all the games that you can consider enjoyable, there are various other games such as Zelda, Mario, etc. which were fun too. The issue with the modern world is that it is all about money and realism and I seriously don't want to play my life on my computer, console or mobile phone. I want to escape from the real world and actually enjoy the game I play and that doesn't mean you should put in fictive characters such as aliens into your game so that it is less realistic. The thing a good game actually needs is at least a good story and then you'll preferably need some set of 'dynamic' goals as well as a nice set of characters, each with their own capabilities, properties and abilities. Jokes are optional, but can make a game more enjoyable than when it's bloody serious.

Regards,
  Godlord.

Doddie-Super wall of text attack much?

Phexion- No I'm not saying that at all. I'm saying that both are equally important, as well as sound effects, music, general development, and story. Coding will never be "the most important" because without the balance and art of the other parts it would be just the lines of coding and nothing more.

@Azure:

> Yeah sorry for the Name typo. Words are an attack too. I mean look at the republican party state side here.

It's just depends on how you take those words. For me it's merely an opinion and some sort of review on how the games from the past and the present differ.

Regards,
  Godlord.

@goddie: I think that is what the programming vx gfx one boils down to. Are the games of today any better than the ones from the 80s and early 90s. (… Wow I'd hate to have to make that call.) Anyways we should move away from that digression and stick to the topic at hand.

My opinion was posted above. I think we have a similar view. Nothing is ever truly original anymore. Though personally I like to see how game developers do the same genre and style different from others.

@Azure:

> @goddie: I think that is what the programming vx gfx one boils down to. Are the games of today any better than the ones from the 80s and early 90s. (… Wow I'd hate to have to make that call.) Anyways we should move away from that digression and stick to the topic at hand.
>
> My opinion was posted above. I think we have a similar view. Nothing is ever truly original anymore. Though personally I like to see how game developers do the same genre and style different from others.

Since 2000, game developers aren't really doing what they should be doing. Instead of presenting the person a story they present realism to him or her. That's when games started to fail. It's like a book or a film. You want to escape from you life, not live your life.

Originality still exist, but will never come from the main stream companies we have nowadays.

Regards,
  Godlord.

@Azure:

> Phexion- No I'm not saying that at all. I'm saying that both are equally important, as well as sound effects, music, general development, and story. Coding will never be "the most important" because without the balance and art of the other parts it would be just the lines of coding and nothing more.

And this is wrong thinking.
Coding and playble > gfx, sfx, story etc.

Example for me will be Crysis: warhead i was playing fev minuts in this game i enjoy it but it is just another game for me. Now im playing "Prototype" it have worse gfx, sfx but its just more playble.

Godlord - You are making a mistake also. There are different tastes in the world. Much persons like realism in games. I have a friend who example will never play in game with "magic". He like only real games.
Games like Dune was good in their times. Now times are change, today not much people will like Dune II if they have alot other good RTS games like example StarCraft, DoW2 etc.

Phexion- There's a saying that a wiser person than I once told me, If everyone else is the problem then it is really you who is.  Coding makes the game playable that is true, but not everyone "loves" code in the way that you do. Coding is the backbone of a game where as everything else is what draws people in. You hand me a game without gfx, music, effects, story, or even decent game design and I'll hand you a textbook. That is not gaming and never will be. For example look at a game like Mass effect. No one cares about the coding except maybe the programmers. We(the consumer) all care about the game play(Coding is very important but not to the consumer) and immersion(Coding is also important but it's not everything.)

Goddie- Where I do not disagree with your observation of the game industry as a whole I feel that it is the very thing you dislike that is getting more and more people into gaming. The escape factor is why many people play games, read books, or watch movies. It's something new and different and in the end that's what they want, but are too lazy or unable to do.

Fixed the end of Goddies reply… lol it was very redundant.

but its the coding what makes the game…

i mean....

yeh gfx are important

but without coding the gfx just wouldnt work

it needs the programming aspect to give it the realism. programming gives the feel of realism. bad programming means no atmosphere etc. the programming makes the game what it is, it makes the features what they are and gives the aspects a meaning. if you jsut take a game that gives you a space bar as shoot and the mouse as aim and nothing more yeh it might be good for the first 5 seconds but then sucks badass style.

Where as take the (hopefully non existant) game, give it a little computer ai, make it go darker and lighter, fog etc. add some sort of time into it. add some events based off the time and its slightly more addictive