Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Lego RPG??? - Hmmh the possibilities?

MikeyB2k9

Hey, Just a random idea, will require alot of work on top of all the hard work that goes into making an mmorpg as I will have to custom draw all the sprites, including the detail and shading. This front on view has taken me probably 45-60 minutes to do.

Let me know what you think of the idea of a "lego" based rpg. - Obv will have to think of a name so I dont get sued by lego :)

Here's the sprites I've come up with so far, let me know what you think of them.

Lego Man - Nude (Panties only) - 100% (Actual Size)

![](http://www.failrpg.webspace.virginmedia.com/pixelart/LegoMan-Nude(BlkBKG).PNG)

Lego Man - Nude (Panties only) - 800% (Zoomed)

![](http://www.failrpg.webspace.virginmedia.com/pixelart/LegoMan-Nude(BlkBKG)x8.PNG)

Lego Man - Leather Armour - 100% (Actual Size)

![](http://www.failrpg.webspace.virginmedia.com/pixelart/LegoMan-BlkBKG.PNG)

Lego Man - Leather Armour - 800% (Zoomed)

![](http://www.failrpg.webspace.virginmedia.com/pixelart/LegoMan-BlkBKGx8.PNG)

Feedback highly appreciated, and will help me decide wether or not I will dedicate myself to making a lego rpg, rather than the one i'm working on currently (Will all be the same storyline and stuff, just everything will be LEGO!)

**WARNING! These graphics / sprites belong to me, they are my own hard work and are not to be used under any circumstances! - They are for visual purposes only and for you to give me feedback on them, and on the idea of creating a lego rpg. - Whilst I can't stop you stealing my whole idea about making a lego rpg. If I decided to continue with the RPG myself, I hope that someone would not make a lame attempt to copy my idea. - Although if they insisted then as long as the graphics / concept is nothing similar to mine, then there's nothing I can do about it.**

However, if I find anyone to be using any of my sprites / graphics I will take action - sorry but alot of hard work goes into these, and if you are seriously wanting to use some of my work, then please contact me and i'm sure we can come to some sort or arrangement - I may even do you some custom ones, depending on the size of the project, and whats in it for me.

lol your idea >.<

dude you said something after i posted that in the shout box and i post something about this 2 years ago when i was doing clay graphics

Anyways If you happen to have any Real legos laying about why not just build stuff with them and Take Pics with a web Cam Edit to pics to be your sprites/tiles/spells ect.

would looks way better imo

but not bad on the ones you done

I don't think it's an epic fail, but I think you have a tough time especially with all the Lego games about to
come out, and the possibility of a 3D Lego MMORPG they are discussing…

If your plan is just to make a lego representation, i.e it all looks like lego - but holds no
special value, then it probably wont be all that hard. But  - to me a lego online game would be something
that allows me to pick up items and combine them with other items to make unique weapons, armour etc...

Thanks for all the replies, well all but one. I like constructive criticism, it helps alot, however retards such as:-

@defendersdef:

> i can seez it already, epics failz

At least if your gonnaz tryz and uze shiz loadz of Z's in your textz then least do'z it propa… - jesus you sound like a retard. - Its an idea I came up with, if you can't think of any half-intelligent to say, then simply, don't say anything.

I feel what devo's saying, and with all the lego rpg's coming out, but the thing is, those will more than likely cost money for the game and be pay-to-play. (Like WoW). - If I did make one, it would be free to play with "Donational" extra's should the game become popular - However that would be the problem if I did make one, if the game became popular lego would more than likely try and sue. - Would have to look for the loops first hand and careful manipulate my game to look "Lego" like, but not be associated with any other type of lego or "Brick" product  :cry:

@[Nitrus:

> Ninja-Tech link=topic=54609.msg578612#msg578612 date=1259214471]
> Like Devo says.
> it will need to have alot of thought put into it

Every serious mmorpg has to have alot of thought into it, my heads full of thoughts and ideas so that wouldnt be the problem :) my problem is staying focussed and dedicated to one project, especially if I had to do complete tilesets from scratch.

The idea from devo of combining items is something I want to implement in my game wether it be the Myth of Kharn im working on now, or wether i decide to convert and go with the lego idea. :)

Draken's idea about photographics (I have alot of lego lying around - although its stored in boxes at the moment lol! - I wouldnt want photo-graphics on a game, it just would look right, all the different lighting and stuff on the photo's. - I'd probably use the lego for reference, even take pics using a digital camera, then pixel-draw them whilst using the pic as a guide. - However I have also got LDD - LEGO Digital Designer. Its a free program which allows you to build lego stuff and move the camera angle anywhere you like, so that would probably be a better approach, then I could work on pixel-arting it.

Anyways, It's just a crazy idea im not even 60% certain on yet. - Still need to think about it alot more, just got bored last night and tried my hand at pixel-art as i've never actually been able to pixel art… Great at other graphics and stuff using photoshop, so pixeling is something I need to train on, esp if im going to be creating complete tilesets, wether lego or not.

Probably not gonna go with the idea yet, still undecided, maybe if I could get a team together to work on it it would be worth a shot, but again, it could be a whole lot of time wasted if things go wrong.

Just wanted to see if there was much hype or demand for a "Lego" styled rpg... If I could get some interest in it, and maybe some help (Already had one person pm me about doing a lego game together) - Then I guess it would probably be a project id consider putting time into.

Hi Hi! - Okay I've been considering maybe this lego RPG as an idea, and been testing a few things out. Here's a simple map made from lego tiles (done them myself)  XD

![](http://www.touchofdeathforums.com/smf/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=54609.0;attach=12045;image)

Going to edit the tiles a little, and take out the borders on each tile (So it doesnt give the grid effect) - and see if that's easier on the eyes, as-of so far, the whole lego thing is busting me eyes lol :)

Let me know what you think…

P.S: I may not go ahead with the lego idea / rpg, however if someones interested, then any sprites / tilesheets i make, i may give to someone if they convince me they need them and will put them to good use, and extend them further with more gfx.

@blackkat9666:

> legos aren't really all 2x2 blocks, there are variations like 2x4, 2x8, etc
> it would hurt the eyes less if it had variation

That was mean : -P Don't worry Mikey your doing fine but so blackkat can't say anything make all the pieces but the fun part about legos you also have lamps and what i would really love to see as an effect if you can do it.. make it look like there is a space under your dock because with legos its possible. but GREAT WORK!

Thanks for all the feedback guys!

I agree about the 2x2 thing. That's why I've edited the tileset so that it isnt bordered all the way around. - Only in the places you want, gotta add a few more tiles to the base tiles, such as (inside corners) only difference will be 1 - 3 pixels lol… But it helps give the right look.

And I need to make 1 on its own, so its completely boardered off (like the ones above) but only one will be like it (And raised off the ground) - 3D (Flat based tile)

For now, these are only the BASE tiles, as in the terrain. I will need to do other things such as walls, ledges (So the lava might look a bit further down, and other stuff, because lego is made up of 3 "flats" per 1 brick, and x1 32 x 32 square will probably show 2 bricks stacked. Then I may need to do alot of variations, including 6 different depths depending on the terrain I need. - Might end up having to custom do tiles here and there depending on the map im building.

The idea for having a raised dock is good, i'll keep that in mind.

Again not 100% sure how far im going to go with this project, its just something im doing at the moment whilst bored, if anyone feels like taking this project on then I don't mind supplying tilesets / ideas.

See attatchment for the full size new map look!!! (Click the + maginify class if it doesnt show full size after you click the link) - HINT: Open in new tab/window.

![](http://www.failrpg.webspace.virginmedia.com/mythofkharn/LegoMap02-Small.jpg)

(NOTE: Its only FLAT terrain tiles for now, I will work on more soon - Off to cook some nice food :) bbl's)

And Thanks for all the comments and idea's, keep them coming!!!

@[SJ:

> Brave~Bandit link=topic=54609.msg579215#msg579215 date=1259337596]
> dude awesome tiles, awesome sprites, awesome start.  Ill support you 100% on this.

Thanks! :) bbl's all, cooking some nice food :D keep the comments coming, good or bad, all will help me in the long run!  XD

@[SJ:

> Brave~Bandit link=topic=54609.msg579222#msg579222 date=1259338651]
> Id like to see the lego sprites on the tiles, if u dont mind.

ye i gotta do that next. - as the previous lego sprite wasnt in the right perspective (He was face on) need him with the face on, 45 degree face down view. - Will work on it soon jus noshing a sandwich lol - gonna cook me chinese stirfries 2moz :)

My new lego sprite! :D damn I gotta of spent about 1-2 hours on this little guy! 0,o and its only the front!!! lol :D

Well here he is:-

![](http://www.failrpg.webspace.virginmedia.com/pixelart/LegoMan-GOOD(black).PNG)    ![](http://www.failrpg.webspace.virginmedia.com/pixelart/LegoMan-GOOD(white).PNG)

And for the request: Here is the little fella on a lego map  :cheesy:

![](http://www.failrpg.webspace.virginmedia.com/pixelart/LegoMapWithMan.jpg)    ![](http://www.failrpg.webspace.virginmedia.com/pixelart/LegoMapWithMan-zoom.jpg)

(Before anyone picks up on it: Yes, I know he doesnt cover the dots, I originally did his legs so he did, however the rest of the body wouldve looked wrong. - Possible fix would be to redo the ground tiles so the dots are smaller - May consider it… Depends :O)

And yes, the .jpg may of coursed a little slight change in quality :) But only the screenshots of him on the map (Placed him on for now, too lazy to go into the sprites, edit that, then face him down, take screenshot and whatnot! - He's aligned perfectly aswell, so thats how he will sit in the game!) - The map's are .jpg's just cause :P

The little pics are .png

Feedback?  XD

Regards

@[SB:

> Ertzel link=topic=54609.msg579360#msg579360 date=1259351572]
> Looks pretty cool, I like this Sprites look alot better then the first one.
>
> Once you fix the feet/tiles so the dots go under the feet it will look better though.
>
> This is a pretty cool idea for a game and actually looks good with Sprites and stuff.

Thanks! - Yeah its alot better :) will fix the tiles soon i think, again tho not sure how far im going with this, probably will get bored soon. So anyone willing to take up the project let me know and i may supply the tilesets.

playing a game using tiles with repeated bumps like that will make someone sick.
My advise would be to make the bumps MUCH less noticeable. also.. work on the depth, also add more tone for shading.. much to similar.. wont know where to go.. also remember there is A LOT of custom Lego pieces now a days.. so.. look into that (http://shop.lego.com/pab/?warning=false)

@IceCream:

> playing a game using tiles with repeated bumps like that will make someone sick.
> My advise would be to make the bumps MUCH less noticeable. also.. work on the depth, also add more tone for shading.. much to similar.. wont know where to go.. also remember there is A LOT of custom Lego pieces now a days.. so.. look into that (http://shop.lego.com/pab/?warning=false)

Yeah, I think the whole bright lego bricks and dots would make anyone nautious and strain the eyes. Anyways it was just something I was considering, but made up my mind now, not going to make a lego rpg :)