Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Loving this software.

Tompwnage

Alright, I have to give all the creators of this engine a big huge thanks.
Its a super amazing game making engine, that I have been searching for over 1 year of googling and trying other mmomakers or attempting to make my own engine. Its what I've been searching for.

Many thanks,
Tompwnage

@ZM, i remember that, "I am french and i have found happiness in your software."

Anyways sweet as, hope you enjoy it and make something good.

@Rithy58:

> Yeah, I think Robin's Eclipse Origin will be awesome.
> Btw, will it be DirectX8?

I think he does plan to use DX8 in one of the builds, but really, DX8 is overkill for a 2D game. Good DirectDraw code (in theory that is) should run better than vertex sprites (Direct3D). DirectDraw has extremely low requirements to run (if done right). DX8 support really would just be for allowing easy transition to convert the source to another language. (example: gcc4.4) Since Vertex Sprites are the supported form of sprites in the current version of DirectX. IMHO, OpenGL is a better way to go if planning to convert, since it is cross platform and the syntax is a constant, however vb6 doesn't really support OpenGL.

(I think) how Robin is doing it, is that DirectX is contained within a single class. If this is so, then it wouldn't be difficult to write an OpenGL class that could replace the DirectX class. Although there really isn't any point to do that. VB1 to whatever the current is, is not cross platform. Therefore, DirectX is the best graphics library available.

So yeah, DirectDraw is all you really need for now. While Direct3D is more for future versions.

@Zetta:

> @Rithy58:
>
> > Yeah, I think Robin's Eclipse Origin will be awesome.
> > Btw, will it be DirectX8?
>
> I think he does plan to use DX8 in one of the builds, but really, DX8 is overkill for a 2D game. Good DirectDraw code (in theory that is) should run better than vertex sprites (Direct3D). DirectDraw has extremely low requirements to run (if done right). DX8 support really would just be for allowing easy transition to convert the source to another language. (example: gcc4.4) Since Vertex Sprites are the supported form of sprites in the current version of DirectX. IMHO, OpenGL is a better way to go if planning to convert, since it is cross platform and the syntax is a constant, however vb6 doesn't really support OpenGL.
>
> (I think) how Robin is doing it, is that DirectX is contained within a single class. If this is so, then it wouldn't be difficult to write an OpenGL class that could replace the DirectX class. Although there really isn't any point to do that. VB1 to whatever the current is, is not cross platform. Therefore, DirectX is the best graphics library available.
>
> So yeah, DirectDraw is all you really need for now. While Direct3D is more for future versions.

Pretty much. :P

I've hit a lot of problems converting to DX8, although I've fixed quite a bit as I go along.

It's all in one class and just before I went out drinking just now I fixed the black-screen problem which people with onboard graphics were getting. Apparently some graphics cards just hate rendering graphics at 1# depth using zBuffering. xD

Eventually I'm hoping to create a DX class for DD7 and DX8 which can be interchanged easily to allow for much more flexibility when developing.

@Robin:

> It's all in one class and just before I went out drinking just now I fixed the black-screen problem which people with onboard graphics were getting.

I had to read that a few times over to understand what was said - every time I hit 'drinking', my mind immediately assumed "Crap, Robin went drinking and now his code doesn't work.  That is NOT good."  I lol'd though.

@Rithy58:

> Well I maybe wrong then.
> The only reason I want DirectX8 is the particle engine. Can DirectX7 render particle effect?
>
> When it come to DirectX or OpenGL, I don't have a clue about it.
>
> Sincerely,
> Rithy

yes it can. you'd just be blitting a lot of shti.

OpenGL is a common language for graphics that all gpu's can read. It requires a special driver and works on most OSs. (unsure about Aros/Amiga) OpenGL utilizes vertex rendering to draw to the screen.

DirectX is a full library of components first designed for the video game market in the mid 90's. It features output libraries such as sound/graphics along with input libraries such as keyboard and controllers. There exists two main graphics libraries of DirectX: DirectDraw and Direct3D. DirectDraw (Supported until DirectX7) is a 2D graphics library that can quickly copy rectangles of images to surfaces. (backbuffer/screen/user-defined surfaces) Direct3D is a vertex rendering library. (Similar to OpenGL)

The only benefit (for particles) that D3D poses is the ability to stretch/skew the objects. D3D is better (I guess) for OOP since the only properties that have to be defined with 3D Objects is UV mapping, position, coloring, and rotation.

@Zetta:

> @Rithy58:
>
> > Well I maybe wrong then.
> > The only reason I want DirectX8 is the particle engine. Can DirectX7 render particle effect?
> >
> > When it come to DirectX or OpenGL, I don't have a clue about it.
> >
> > Sincerely,
> > Rithy
>
> yes it can. you'd just be blitting a lot of shti.
>
> OpenGL is a common language for graphics that all gpu's can read. It requires a special driver and works on most OSs. (unsure about Aros/Amiga) OpenGL utilizes vertex rendering to draw to the screen.
>
> DirectX is a full library of components first designed for the video game market in the mid 90's. It features output libraries such as sound/graphics along with input libraries such as keyboard and controllers. There exists two main graphics libraries of DirectX: DirectDraw and Direct3D. DirectDraw (Supported until DirectX7) is a 2D graphics library that can quickly copy rectangles of images to surfaces. (backbuffer/screen/user-defined surfaces) Direct3D is a vertex rendering library. (Similar to OpenGL)
>
> The only benefit (for particles) that D3D poses is the ability to stretch/skew the objects. D3D is better (I guess) for OOP since the only properties that have to be defined with 3D Objects is UV mapping, position, coloring, and rotation.

SGI/Mesa had no influence on the Amiga platform, therefore the real Amiga platform doesn't support OpenGL, however, Amiga 4.0 and later as well as MorphOS and AROS might have OpenGL support available. OpenGL is generally targeted at the UNIX platform, but a lot of other platforms inherited several concepts as well as libraries from UNIX. The only reason why DirectX exists is because the ports used by the GPUs aren't standard and neither is the interface. DirectX on Windows is like VGA/SVGA/VESA on DOS, although SVGA isn't properly standardised.

Regards,
  Godlord.