Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Exchange School To France for 2 weeks

Lam3r

OK, so my school and a sister school in Lille, France are going to have a student exchange for 2 weeks. I'm allowed to go but not sure if I should. I really want to go, but I'm hearing from friends that it won't be very fun since it's so hard to understand anything (we're in our second year, 4th semester taking it in school, by the way), and they make a good point. The trip is also going to be fairly expensive, but I'm not too worried about that, just if it's worth going, since I will also be going next summer for a longer trip with friends (not an exchange though) and that will be after 3 years of taking French.

Opinions? Should I go or not?

@Zero3X:

> Going to Germany in a few months. My friend decided he didn't want to go and now he's pissed at himself.

Germany is awesome. I'm prolly going on a city trip there in the summer

@Zero3X:

> As long as you can say "Parlez-vous anglais?" you'll be fine!

Except for the fact that most french people can't speak english…

I'm pretty sure most at least know a little or can understand it, since it's one of the national languages..

But I appreciate the replies :D I'll probably be going if a few friends go ^^, even if i can't understand it looking @ pictures of Lille it looks pretty sweet. And I've never been out of the country before so…FTW

Dude go, I went last year with a school group and it was awesome.
They sold heineken in the vending machine in one of the hotels.
The food is absolutely amazing, I could've eaten bread and cheese the whole time and have come back extremely satisfied.
And the german McDonalds menu had words with around 30-40 letters.

@Bone:

> Dude go, I went last year with a school group and it was awesome.
> They sold heineken in the vending machine in one of the hotels.
> The food is absolutely amazing, I could've eaten bread and cheese the whole time and have come back extremely satisfied.
> And the german McDonalds menu had words with around 30-40 letters.

Lol I'm doing something like that next summer, but this time is actually a school exchange, so I'll be staying with a French family in their house in Lille, not a hotel :P Although I could probably go to Germany it's so freakin' close xD

Well we spent 5 days in switzerland where we stayed in hotels (each day the hotel quality got better, and by the last day we were at an awesome hotel with huge beds and iMacs in the lobby).
Then we spent the other 5 days in France staying at homestay families, I can't remember which banlieu my house was in though.

Hello,

If I were you, I will say 'yes'. To go in France is better than Germany. Germans have some habit, like not eating at lunchtime and snacks throughout all day, not school in the afternoon (around 14h, they often go to the bar or train in the street …) In addition, you go to a beautiful place Lille.
See google image at [here](http://images.google.fr/images?hl=fr&client=firefox-a&rls=org.mozilla:fr:official&hs=P1c&q=lille&cts=1263842460418&um=1&ie=UTF-8&sa=N&tab=wi). If you want I made a summary of things to know how Survive in France …

RVM

Ok,

Hello -> Bonjour
Hello to young -> Salut (for first and last see)
Did you sleep well -> Avez vous bien dormi ?
Good night -> Bonne nuit
What for lunch -> Qui a t'il au déjeuné ?
jam -> confiture
a long bread -> baguette
butter -> beur
knife -> couteau
milk -> lait
Can I have *  ? -> Puis je avoir * ?

slat -> sel 
pepper -> poivre
How do you do ? or How are you ? -> Comment allez vous ?
Good, nice -> Bien
not good -> Pas bien
tired -> Je suis fatigué(e) 
When someone ask you for this, your answer is : Et vous ? (and you ?

But if you wait 5 min I will do for you a discution, that will be more good for you….

Lol well I'm in my 2nd year of french so i already knew all of those ;P But that's a nice list for people.

How do you say "I am in my second year of learning French." ?

Is it: "Je suis a mon deuxieme an de [learning] la francais" ?

Je suis a mon dexieme an de l'apprentissage la francais"

…I'm not great with grammar, but, I think that's right.

Also. Go to france. I had the chance to go in my second-last year of school, I took French for one of my... "Majors" I suppose you americans would put it.
I turned it down.

I regretted it big time, just because I had a social phobia with out-of-school activities....

BUT. I did get to go last year. I visitted my uncle with my sister, who lives at the south-east coast of England. He took us on a ferry from Dover to Calais one morning (7-fucking-am...) and it was the most culturally enthralling time of my life. I'm dieing to go back - we only went for a day, see.
People actually say "Bye" when you leave their shop xD. (People being, the shopkeeper. And "bye" being, "Au 'voir")

Yeah, they say "Au voir" not "Au revoir"... Or, at least, they did where I was, in Calais *_,* ... I'd do anything to go back, just for a day...

/cries

...If you turn this opportunity down, with friends or not, I will personally see to it that your life will be ruined D<.

Mwuha.

@Bone:

> @Lam3r:
>
> > Is it: "Je suis a mon deuxieme an de [learning] la francais" ?
>
> "Je suis dans ma deuxieme annee d'apprentissage francais. "
> Or something like that.
>
> I've been speaking for around 5-6 years.

You're 6 and you can speak french already? Or, moreso, around 8 really… takes a couple of years before a kid can talk coherently...